Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Strange Noises with the Front Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2000, 11:00 AM
Yosser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

About 4 months ago I had fitted Pagid Blues and hoses etc to my car.(Scoobysport)
The brakes have squeaked since then - I put it down to the different compounds in the Pads. (even worse squeaking in reverse.)
However just recently there has been a high pitched squeak when turning right (mostly smooth right on a motorway).
Also the steering seems to have gone a bit light.
Could it be the right front wheel bearing?
What pressure should I be running in the tyres (normal road use) - at the moment they are 32 front and rear.
Also last night the left front seemed to be slapping as if something was on attached to the wheel but nothing was there!
Help !
Yosser
Silver StI3
Old 20 June 2000, 02:24 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I have a similar problem with my MY00 (12000 miles) which is still on the original pads and brakes. My front off-side squeeks when turning LEFT and also with the initial application of the brakes. We've had them to bits and followed some recommendations I had picked up from recent brake threads. However, despite a full clean up and grease up they still do it. By the way, minimal wear showing on pads and disc and I have been told by my dealer that I am not braking hard enough!

Yosser - sorry to ride on your thread but as we may be looking for the same answers I thought a seperate thread would only confuse matters.

Otis.
Old 20 June 2000, 07:19 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Angry

Brakes!!!! My pet hate at the moment.

My MY97 has developed a repetitive squeak from the front brakes (2 Pots) whilst in motion, rising to a constant high pitch squeal at speed. It gets embarassing driving the car, even my full de-cat exhaust gets upstaged!

After stripping the brakes down I have found that two of the pads have got cracks in them and the pad material is lifting from the backing. Therefore, the pad is always in contact with the disc causing the squeak. I think also that my discs have warped as I get a small amount of judder under heavy braking.

I did have some success curing the problem by (a) filing the pads down where they had started to lift and (b) brutal left foot braking whilst staying on the gas until you start to produce a bond'esque smoke screen! not advised though.

However, this was only a temporary cure and I have subsequently secured a set of new P1 4 Pots (thanks Russell) which will remedy the problem and improve on the poor 2 pot performance. I know that some people will feel a lot happier with me following them now! Just means I can brake later Jase lol.

Hope some of my experiences help you out.

Cheers
Chris
Old 21 June 2000, 07:40 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Otis,

Maybe it's down to driving up (or was it down) that hill with the brake on after your ECU reset :^)

Greg
Old 22 June 2000, 12:04 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy..

It could be the bearings.. which should be fixed sooner than later..

Or maybe a small stone behind the disk..

Or maybe the metal guard touching the disk..

Basically.. jack it up..whip the wheel off.. and have a good look for marks..

J.
Old 22 June 2000, 08:32 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Yosser,

Hi had the same problem a while back on my MY97 UK. It was, as you suggested, the wheel bearing for the nearside front wheel. It is a very cheap job, covered by Subaru warranty and is actually a very quick job.

It is worthwhile trying what Otis said, slam on your brakes a few timnes, really bed them in and flatten the pad surfaces. If it IS your brakes, it should stop the intermittent squeaking.

Only other thing that comes to mind is a warped disc, but then that is the obvious choice.

Cem
Old 22 June 2000, 03:00 PM
Yosser
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hopefully its that simple - I'll try the remidies at the weekend and let you know how I get on !
Cheers
Michael