WRX brake upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2000, 08:58 AM
Marcos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I'm very interested in upgrading my standard 95'WRX font brakes to the Sti 4 pot kit - there's one available from an Sti 5.

Would they fit 16inch wheels?

Anybody else done this?

I'm only interested in getting the most out of my car until I can afford an sti - I see this as the best area to modify at the moment.

Or should I just upgrade my discs to Brembo Type N?? (if that's the name) and green stuff pads?

Finally - I don't do track.....yet,

thanks

marcus
Old 13 May 2000, 09:51 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Marcos

I fitted Sti 4 pot front brakes + steel hoses to my 96WRX. No problem, but you do have to have 16" wheels from a my98 or my99 car as the calipers are quite a bit wider. Pads are a matter of personal choice. I have been using Mintex 1155. They work fine on the road and they are just about OK for occasional track use. They squeal a bit when the brakes are applied lightly. Brake hard and there is no squeal.
Old 15 May 2000, 08:29 AM
Stroudy
Scooby Regular

Hi, this was the reply I had from Graham Goode, with regards to the same question, also for my 95 WRX:

Really you are waisting your money buying uprated discs for that type of
277mm disc / 2 pot caliper. In past experience customers have tried to
uprated these smaller discs / calipers and have not seen a considerable
increase and have then had to replace them again shortly after, your money
will be better spent on the 4 pot upgrade.

Graham Goodes web site (very helpful) :
Old 15 May 2000, 09:27 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Marcus,

I would say that GGR's response is pretty predictable (more money in it for them) but having said that, they make a valid point.

I have a 94 WRX and fitted Black Diamond disks and Mintex 1155 pads. This did improve the braking ability but it wasn't a "night and day" difference.

I have since recently upgraded to larger disks using the standard 2-pot calipers from Hi-Spec which looks promising - but my choice was influenced by having "awkward" 17" wheels and nearly-new tyres.

If you have some reasonably-priced 4 pots lined up then I would go down this route.
Keep your old disks and pads when you change them. You then have the option to swap them back when you sell your car if the buyer doesn't want to pay a premium for them.Giving you the chance to sell them on the BBS seperately.

You will also need to swap your wheels for STI or 99/00 MY ones.

Have you changed the brake fluid yet ? Brake fluid absorbs water and obviously spending time on a boat doesn't help this. I changed the fluid six months after I got the car (after pads and disks) and this made the biggest difference - AP 5.1 fluid is pretty cheap (£10 approx) but it made a huge improvement to my brakes.

IHTH

Thanks

Gavin