Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

'Perfomance Friction' Pads Rock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2000, 08:09 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As some of you know I have been trying a variety of different pads on road and track.
EBC Greens were great on the road, but simply melted on the track.
EBC Reds were OK on track, but only lasted 25 laps! They were also pants for road use.
EBC Yellows were very good on track, and I fitted my part-worn pads for Donno, but they were completely gone after two sessions!!!
No pads I tried were as good as the original ones that came with my AP kit....until I fitted some 'Performance Friction' Carbon Metallic (93 compound) pads yesterday lunchtime which Mike from Sccobymania very kindly brought to Donno for me. Without him I would have had a short day! Cheers Mike.
WOW!
Very similar performance to the EBC Yellows were initially, but they have worn much, much less.
I cannot yet say what they have done to the discs, as they were already showing signs of strain, but they look no worse than they were.
These were the ones I was supposed to be testing at Donno last November, but just never got round to it.
I was wary about keeping them in for road use, but first impressions are very good. They work well from cold, and do not squeal at all.
Another bonus is that I left Donno with spankingly clean wheels, there was not a sign of brake dust. It just seemed to 'fall' off!!!!
I will give you an update after I've used them a bit more on the road.
I don't know how much they retail for, but I don't think it's any more than any of the other premier brands.
I will definitely be sticking with these.
I'm also going to see whether they do them for the rears too.
Highly recommeded.

Stef.

PS John Felstead mentioned these pads to me ages ago, but I never realised they were the same ones Mike had sitting at home!
Cheers John!
Old 06 May 2000, 09:14 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Stef,

Which pads came as originals with the AP kit? could you not have had a second pair of those?

Brendan
Old 07 May 2000, 11:23 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

Thanks for keeping up these reports Stef, very interesting.

What pads do you run on the rears with the APs on the front? Do you still have the standard 98MY rear brakes?

Paul
Old 07 May 2000, 08:28 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Stef
Must be costing you a fortune in pads are the Pads that come with the AP brakes no good?
Bob
Old 07 May 2000, 10:21 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Now this is a bit annoying as when I enquired about these pads I was told they were only for "touring car" use and would ruin my discs. Though I know one person who uses carbon pads in his Cosworth and Evo VI with no problems. His discs are still shiny and silver after much use too ...
Old 08 May 2000, 12:03 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Doc

Hi spec in Dartford supply the discs, bells and spacers for the callipers as a kit

Paul
Old 08 May 2000, 08:09 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Mistake - Re-written below.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Danny Fisher (edited 08-05-2000).]
Old 08 May 2000, 08:12 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Bajie, I have been using the Carbon Metallics since the start of march, without any problems, I have got no signs of problems with the disc, and have yet to get brake fade. This is however subject to the fact that I'm NOT using the AP super-dooper discs.

Dan
Old 08 May 2000, 09:36 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mike.

Just to answer Pauls query, I am still running with standard 98 rear brakes, equipped with Mintex 1155 pads. They were actually fitted out of desperation rather than choice at the last track day.
I intend to completely change my rear set-up very soon, as the discs are in need of renewal and the pads squeal.
Looking at perhaps using STi set-up or vented Legacy jobbies.
I will of course keep you all informed.

Stef.
Old 08 May 2000, 09:43 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Stef

I have just upgraded my rear brakes (on a Legacy GTB) by fitting larger grooved discs, 312*20 (instead of 256*18) with the standard callipers and it has made a huge difference, the car feels far more balanced under braking than it did with just upgraded front brakes

(Although admittedly the legacy is heavier, and I assume being a longer wheelbase means there is less weight transfer to the fronts??)

Paul
Old 08 May 2000, 11:50 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

pnebbs
Is there a manufacturer of caliper mounting brackets to allow it to be mounted further out or did you get this specially made?
Old 08 May 2000, 12:24 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

1) Bhort. Yes Stef could have had another set of the pads that came with his 16" Scooby Mania/AP Racing kit, (AP Japan ZX's), but I recommended (in November ) that he should try the Carbon Metallics for the track, Stef was simply having so much fun that he didn't come in to change pads that day, at all.

2) Bob. The pads that come with the Scooby Mania/AP Racing kits are first class, (different in each specific kit).
Interestingly, there was another <B>Non-Scooby Mania/AP Racing</B>, 4 pot Ap kitted Scooby at donington, (and he was getting brake fade).

3) Bajie.
You have been talking to the wrong people (didn't your mum tell you not to do that) I have your number (got it today) I will phone you!

Mike.

Old 08 May 2000, 01:34 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

pnebbs
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have a number for Hi Spec or even better a web site address?
Old 08 May 2000, 02:22 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Doc

01322 286850

Geoff is the guy that runs hi spec - he knows what he is talking about as far as brakes are concerned (but he can be a bit slow to deliver - not always though) - no website as such

Paul
Old 09 May 2000, 09:47 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

OK, as with most things there is a small price to pay for such good stopping power, namely that the pads are renowned for 'opening' the faces of the disc.
I was at AP today discussing them with one of the techies, and he confirmed that stopping power is awesome, but after a while, the discs would start cracking and opening up.
To give you some idea, these pads are apparently used in Indy Car.
They were also used in BTCC, but they have now changed to FERODO DS3000, which AP rate very highly, and which I will be trying out very soon. They apparently work very well from cold and physically 'wear' the disc rather than 'open' it, which is in many ways better.
I have also noticed that the PF's squeal when cold.
Other than that, their on-road performance is sublime, also from cold.
I will probably keep them in for Cadwell, and either change to the Ferodo's afterwards or maybe even in the afternoon there.
I'll keep you all posted.

Stef.
Old 10 May 2000, 02:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Stef,
Would you still recommend the EBC Greens for standard averagely enthusiastic road use in an STi? Best place to get them from?
Cheers,
Rich.
Old 10 May 2000, 05:18 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Question

Here, here! I would also like to know your recommendation for fast road pads for 4 pot subaru brakes!
Answers on a postcard !
Cheers,

Jon.
Old 10 May 2000, 06:40 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Chaps.

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending EBC Green Stuff for road use only.
They were really very good, especially from cold, with NO squeal or brake dust. Very cheap too.
I believe Scoobymania are EBC agents.

Stef.