Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Group N discs

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2000, 05:23 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Im looking to fit Scoobysport supplied group N discs and Pagid blue pads. Has anyone done this? If so, what were the results???

Stu
Old 14 April 2000, 12:35 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike,

It may just be me but I can't find any prices on your website for group N discs (or pads for that matter). I can only see prices for the AP kits and "uprated vented/grooved discs"
Old 14 April 2000, 09:48 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yes, that is exactly right. Group 'N' discs are OEM spec but better qulaity material...... that's all.

Don't expect the world from them & you won't be disappointed.

They are a consumable item which the rally teams get through in short order <I>(so don't think you are on your own).</I>

We are trying to bring the cost of these consumables down where possible.(see Scooby Mania website for prices).

Mike.
Old 14 April 2000, 11:46 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Mike's spot on.

To be Group N legal, they must be the same size and have no drilling or grooving that isn't present on the OE units.

The difference is in the grade of iron used. They are made from pure cast iron (known as "grey cast") and the construction process creates coarser iron crystals. For gpN selection, all discs are then X rayed, hand balanced.

As Mike said, they are better, but still suffer from the same inability to lose heat. The better grade of iron will allow you to use hotter spec pads, but it is still possible to fry them.

In tarmac rallying (all top Impreza teams use Pagid "blacks" - carbon ceramic), OE discs last approx 20 stage miles, gpN grade discs last approx 45. This is a guide, for us mere mortals, as to their extra ability.
Old 14 April 2000, 12:45 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I had this done a while ago. They are good discs, but they arent great. Although they are a lot better than the standard discs (then again, so is a paper plate), they can still suffer from a little fade, especially on a track day. but then its spend £300-£400 on the group N's or £1200.00 on a new kit, so there is a lot of difference. I drive very enthusiastically, so I go thru pads quite quick, the discs have lasted a while, but have now warped and I am waiting for replacements from Pete.

Cem
Old 14 April 2000, 05:56 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep. Sorry about that Doc. I got distracted on other matters today and didn't get chance to compile the info down to Lee to update the web site.

This will happen on Monday.

Mike.
Old 14 April 2000, 05:58 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for the info lads. I dont do track days (yet!) but I had to make a BIG stop the other day and although the sti 4 pots stopped me fine, they were rubbish for about 5-10 minutes after. i think the group N discs will do me..... at least until I can justify AP's or Brembos Pete, Ill be up there soon to pick em up along with the down pipe, centre pipe etc. Cem, what pads do u use?
Stu
Old 14 April 2000, 09:23 PM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had Gp N discs and pagids fitted by Scoobysport before the Catalunya trip. No problems even driving some of the stages and a several thousand metre descent to sea level in about five minuites flat, and that was twisty.

Much better stopping power - well recommended

Thanks Pete
Old 15 April 2000, 01:55 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Stu,
I use Mintex 1155's.
Be prepared for a long wait on the discs. I have been waiting for nearly 2 months for replacements now.
Brembo Italy are being prats with regards to UK allocation.