Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Fitting ABS to a type RA

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2000, 12:49 AM
Gilbert-RA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone know where I could get ABS fitted to a type RA? I am London based but would take the car more or less anywhere in the UK or the closer Continental countries
Old 15 March 2000, 05:46 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Don't think it's possible to put ABS on a type RA because you've got limited slips front and rear - which kind of complicates things a bit!

Willing to be corrected tho! Personally, haven't found a need for it, the brakes have more than enough feel to let you know they're locking.

An alternative to ABS is to drive with no shoes on, as you get more of a "sensitive" feel thru the pedal.

Hope that helps!

Russ
Old 15 March 2000, 07:34 PM
Glen Stenhouse
Scooby Regular

Question

Why did you choose a drivers car, Type RA, if you want ABS?

Will you also be fitting A/C and power windows.
Old 16 March 2000, 05:14 PM
Gilbert-RA
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Hmmmm... Interesting set of comments.
Perhaps I should give a little more info.

I have had a BBR tuned Mazda 323 Turbo 4x4 (0-60 in 6.1 secs) for a number of years and was looking for a bit more performance. My criteria were simple - I wanted something which would accelerate like a rocket and which had four wheel drive, A/C and ABS. I tried both a UK spec Impreza and a WRX import but found little improvement over the Mazda.

I then tested a "WRX type RA" import. It looked as if it had had considerable track use. Masses of ads and stickers on it, a few nudges, jack marks all along the sills on both sides, replacement springs and dampers, big bore exhaust, air filter and I don't know what else. When I test drove it I found the performance to be sensational. It was much quicker than a Lotus Esprit Turbo I had once hired, my performance benchmark.
As imported it had a thumping sound system, A/C and, I was told, ABS fitted. The dealer I bought it from added power front windows (right on the button Glen!!), driving lights and did up the bodywork.

This car embarrasses Porsche turbos and I have been delighted with it, right up to the point when someone darted out in front of me on a rainy evening and the lack of ABS almost got them killed. You may not need ABS out on a twisty B road but it's sure as hell a comfort in the cut and thrust of London driving.

I have a warranty from the dealer that covers, among other things, the ABS. He is willing to get it fitted for me IF we can find someone who can do the work.

An interesting aspect of the car is that it does NOT have a scoop on the roof. Is it really a type RA? Am I the mug I appear to be? Hey, who cares, it still goes like **** off a shovel

But, last weekend I gave it full gas pedal while cruising at 4000rpm in 5th (about 80mph) and the engine started to pull and then just cut out for half a second with a huge thump. This was repeatable for the next 100 miles and then hasn't happened since. I wonder if I am about to fall out of love.....
Old 16 March 2000, 07:47 PM
Glen Stenhouse
Scooby Regular

Talking

It does'nt need a roof vent to be an RA. Mine did'nt have one.

High revs at low speeds and 0-62mph in 4.2 secs after mods.

You are right, it is my choice of all the Imprezas also.

Does the boot have a liner? It should'nt.

The ABS was absent because Rally cars prefer not to have it for obvious reasons. The position the ABS normally takes up is where the I/C water sprayer is located.

The I/C is normally the small black one off the normal cars as this is normally replaced anyway. The fog lights are left off as is the boot spoiler, unless it is a V-limited model.

I did'nt install a radio for 6 months.

Your bonnet should also be made of aluminium.
Old 17 March 2000, 01:08 PM
Gilbert-RA
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info Glen.
No boot-lining, head-lining, or anywhere-else-lining as far as I can see. The bonnet and boot are of very light and flimsy construction. Gearbox is close ratio and final drive is set for max revs at 145mph. (I haven't had it there yet but it gets pretty near in no time at all) So it probably is a genuine RA. I am prepared to lose the I/C water spray if it means I can then get ABS fitted.

I am trying ProDrive at the moment but even if they can do it how much will THEY want.

I am hoping to get it on the Powerstation dyno during the day out being organised by Shaun and find out what it is made of 8)

RussP:

What are the extra diffs that you comment on? I see from the FAQ that driver adjustable diffs are fitted to the type R but I can't see any "diff adjuster" ***** in my motor. Where might they be sited?
Old 18 March 2000, 05:53 PM
Glen Stenhouse
Scooby Regular

Some, but not all, RAs have the centre adjustable diff. The button lives by the handbrake.

Dyno should be around 260hp for a standard RA from memory. 276hp for one with a STi I/C.

Get a PossumLink from Bob.
Old 18 March 2000, 06:29 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Mine's the Sti type RA (V5 Limited) so i believe it gains the mechanical LSD's over the straight WRX type RA. Plus the adjustable centre diff. And the roof vent!

But, though it doesn't get the ABS, it's put all the weight on via leccy mirrors/windows air con etc. Bit of a hybrid really and, i believe, slightly longer geared that the "normal" sti RA.

Have Subaru ever actually made two cars the same?

Russ

Old 18 March 2000, 08:47 PM
rogermcb
Scooby Regular

All WRX STI Type RAs have roof vents. Anything else is a fake or a special order/build. RAs do not have ABS `cos they have internally adjustable electronic controlable diffs (there isn't space for both). All STI RAs have roof vents.

Cheers Roger
Old 19 March 2000, 03:01 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

As I understand it, the driver adjustable center diff and ABS systems are simply incompatable. The diff greatly affects the transfer of torque between the engine and the wheels, under power or engine braking, this would make the ABS computer's job overcomplex.

Does the WRX (non-sti) type RA come with the roof-vent?
Old 19 March 2000, 03:00 PM
Gilbert-RA
Scooby Newbie

Hmmmmm.... So the general consensus appears to be that as my RA is not an STi I _should_ be able to add ABS _if_ I can find some booger to do the clever bit.

Has anyone tried direct contact with suppliers in Japan for bits and pieces they required?

Or know of any Japanese firms that advertise in European or American mags?
Old 19 March 2000, 04:21 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

You may need to lose the adjustable centre diff whilst installing ABS.
Old 20 March 2000, 08:28 AM
Gilbert-RA
Scooby Newbie

MorayMackenzie:
I can't see any ***** or levers on the transmission tunnel so I reckon RussP is right and only the STi RA has the extra diff.

Would anyone who has an STi RA care to comment on how effective the centre diff is and how often they adjust it ( and I wonder how much it weighs )
Old 20 March 2000, 09:51 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

A trick used by group N drivers is to wind the diff full on, when doing big stops. 3 rotating wheels will keep an "about to lock" wheel spinning.

To be fully effective, you need the plated front diff too.