Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

SS brakelines with ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2000, 03:31 PM
rsnk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
Does anyone have experience with using SS brakelines on a ABS equipped car? I am considering them for my new MY2000 GTTPlus, but have read several reports that these would not combine well with abs. The abs "rattle"(pulsing) that normally gets partially absorbed by the standard flexible brakelines, is said to be amplified by the SS lines to a level that doesn't feel very nice. Any observations?

René
Old 15 February 2000, 03:55 PM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

Hi René,

I have stainless steel braided brake hoses on an ABS-equiped car (MY98 UK-spec Turbo with STi 4-pot brakes and Pajid pads), and I haven't noticed any problem with the ABS. Mind you, it's extremely rare that the ABS cuts in. With the firmer pedal that the braided hoses give you (and I guess the better response from the Pajid pads etc.), I find it easier to brake up to the limit without activating the ABS.

Quite a few owners of UK-spec (ABS equiped) cars have had the braided hoses fitted and I haven't personally heard any reports of ABS problems in the last 2 years.
Old 15 February 2000, 04:35 PM
James Adlington
Scooby Regular

I've got SS brakelines on my MY98 - no problems with the ABS (the ABS cut in a couple of times on Friday - on a track not a public road I might add!).

I've actually felt worse pulsing from the ABS on my wife's (standard) Renault Megane.
Old 16 February 2000, 09:06 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Smile

Fitting braided lines will actually make the ABS more effective, as the pulses are transferred to the caliper pistons, rather than wasted in flexing the rubber brake lines.

ABS operation is also improved with good fluid and big brake kits. The better the brakes, the more effective the ABS, but as Mark Lewis said, you will have more control and can judge the lock up point more accurately.
Old 18 February 2000, 12:56 AM
FrankM
Scooby Regular

Hi

Live in Germany and have fitted Goodridge SS lines on my MY99 with ABS. Feeling in the brake pedal is harder than with standard lines, but with better "point-of-pressure", no problems with ABS.
Goodridge-Germany has done tests and has reached certification by DEKRA(TÜV) for ALL cars with or without ABS.