Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Life span of OEM brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 1999, 06:36 AM
Mark Saville
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MY99 Turbo and have covered almost 20km.

Currently I have fitted the original pads to the four pot calipers and was wondering what others have experienced in terms of life for these parts. The car is due for a service soon and I was wondering if I need to start ordering new pads (Pagid are really expensive in NZ - usually order from OZ.
It appears that I have around 6mm of pad left on the front calipers. However the backs are still like new. Does this conform to the experience of others. At this point I can only guess that the fronts are good for around 30K and the backs for 50K. Of course driving style and weather (dig dig) are no doubt variables in the equation.

Furthermore I am considering Pagid black pads to replace the fronts and when the backs let go either pagid or Mintex 1166. Does this seem sensible?
I will also be fitting a brake support bracket (MRT - OZ 40 pounds) as I have heard that this can reduce the spongy effect to some degree that seems apparent as the pads wear down. Anyone had experience here.

Perhaps others could comment on the above as it would be appreciated
Old 21 September 1999, 08:40 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I got through a set of OEM pads in 10000 miles, but this was because i had hairline cracks in the disks, which were replaced under warranty, i am hoping the set that are on now will last longer. I have never done a set of pads in under 16000 miles before
Old 27 September 1999, 11:17 AM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

I've managed 25,000 miles on the OEM pads on my my98 Terzo (tyres lasted 24,000 miles)

...they're getting swapped this Saturday for a full set of kit from a my99

:>

Cameron
Old 27 September 1999, 11:29 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Smile

mark,

had same disc crack problem, with disc's & pads changed @ 15k. Just had 22.5k service and advised pads will probulary need changing at 30k service, so looks like new discs ok and expecting 15k+ life out of oe pads.

simon
Old 27 September 1999, 01:46 PM
ChrisE
Scooby Regular

Had 15,000 miles from my first turbo and disks replaced at same time. But then it was a Porsche dealer.
With other dealers the need for disks doesn't seem to feature...25,000 mies and all well.
Got Lucas Autocentres (now LEex) to fit the new pads on my old turbo at a rediculousy cheap rate compared to Subaru dealers, and this company really does stand behind its own warranty for work done and parts (they actually purchased Subaru parts from the dealer at their discount rate and passed it on to me - bargain)
Old 27 September 1999, 02:13 PM
fmimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Ian

same problems with the discs (one cracked totally on one side), Subaru Germany told me to be a known problem with the material of the discs in addtion with the original pads. So I let them change under warranty at 9000Km and got the Mintex 1155 brake pads from PTS ( 72 GBP + VAT - very good price, I think) and I'm very satisfied with them. Having a little more brakedust on the wheels, but a much more better brake response and efficiency. I think they won't last as long as the original pads, but also won't damage the discs.
(I have now driven around further 12000km, and the discs look still like new ones)