Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake upgrade (wheel conflict!)

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 1999, 12:58 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

I dream of upgrading my brakes (i.e. the cash isn't quite there yet!). The problem I have is limited choice of what will fit inside of my wheels.

The car is an MY98, wheels are 17" Speedline Supertourismo. My prefered (cheaper) option would be to fit a set of second hand 4-pots from an MY99 or Sti. Unfortunately I hear that the design of the Supertourismo wheels means those 4-pots won't fit without fouling the wheel spokes.

The only options I can see are:
1. Brembo upgrade... too expensive
2. Grp-N disc / pagid pads (or similar)
3. Doing a major mod-job on a set of MY99 4-pots (but is that possible/safe?)

The Grp-N options seems most likely.

Does anyone know of any other 4-pot options that fit inside the Supertourismo's? (Wilwood, BremSport,...?) "at a reasonable price"?
Old 20 July 1999, 03:05 PM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

One option which you might consider is selling the Supertourismos and buying a compatible 17" design if you want the STi/MY99 brakes?

I don't imagine you would have trouble selling these rims, and it might still work out cheaper?

Just a thought.

Cheers
Alastair
Old 20 July 1999, 04:57 PM
JohnS

Don't even consider option 3!!

I too am thinking along the same lines, and considered selling my 17 inch Gold Superturismos the only realistic option.

I have an immaculate set with no scratches, chips, kerbing marks or ingrained brake dust - any realistic offers out there, or anyone willing to swap for a set of ST2s with a small cash settlement ?

These new wheels would clear the Subaru 4 pot calipers, or any of the big brake kits available should I decide to upgrade in the future once these set are worn out.

I'm not sure if the other brake kits would clear either, as there isn't a huge amount of space behind the rims.