Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

JUDDER

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2004, 06:37 PM
dump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

CHANGED THE DISKS ON MY93 6 MONTHS AGO DUE TO FUDGED DISKS I.E JUDDER WHEN BRAKING..PUT NEW SET ON THE FRONT COST £80 THE TWO AND FOR SOME REASON IM NOW BACK TO SQUARE ONE JUDDER ON THE FRONT. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HAS CAUSED IT TO CHEW UP DISK LIKE A COW EATING GRASS..
Old 02 January 2004, 08:42 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
what pads are you using?? and what specific brake set-up, and how do you drive??
alyn - asperformance.com
Old 02 January 2004, 10:08 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think you'll probably find it's the pads leaving deposits on your discs, this happens when the pad exceeds their operating temperature, and causes exactly the same symptons as 'warped' discs. It's also pretty much invisible to the naked eye, unless it's really bad.

I used to destroy the discs on all my old cars in this way , I've found the Scoob has held up much better to it though
Old 03 January 2004, 08:13 PM
dump
Scooby Regular

Question

The front pads are green stuff. when i changed the disks last time i kept the old pads cause they looked not very worn..
Old 06 January 2004, 05:26 PM
dump
Scooby Regular

Question

ideas please.....
Old 06 January 2004, 09:11 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
would suggest that you are exceeding the ability of the "green stuffs" and that this is causing the problem.....(obviously only based on what you've said)
you may find if you run a more aggressive pad like ds2500 this may "cure" your problems.........
Old 06 January 2004, 09:13 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Dump,

I kinda left this in the hope that someone else would give their view on your situation.

A few other thoughts that may be worth looking over;

Judder is not normally caused by "warped" discs, in fact it's very difficult to actually warp a disc unless it has become very thin.

What discs did you replace with? Crossdrilled disc have been known to crack from the drillings.

Did you replace them yourself, Mayb the disc or calliper have come loose? Knackered wheel bearings can also cause this.

As regards pad deposits on the pad, I wouldn't of thought this of green stuff pads, as these are designed to be driven. Pads become unstable and start breaking down and leaving deposits on your disks once they breach their operating temperature, this can be felt when driving by the fact that they no longer brake in the way that they should (brake fade) until they've cooled down.

Failing any of the above, have you tried using the search facility to search for the word "judder" in titles, I'm sure many posts have been put up about this in the past. Also you could try creating a new thread in "General Technical", although it is the incorrect forum, you will be guaranteed maximum exposure to many individuals with a wealth of technical knowledge. Until the mods move it at least

Good luck m8

Old 08 January 2004, 06:15 PM
dump
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for taking the time to try to help......
Old 09 January 2004, 07:38 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Dump, sorry if this sounds negative but I think your problem is sh1te discs and pads. £80 for two discs

Stockcar or Godspeed can help you with quality discs and some decent pads, like Ferodo. Get some better 4-pot calipers while you're at it. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Fast cars need good brakes

Cheers,

Richard.