Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Front disc problems - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2003, 09:14 PM
RB5_Al
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

this is my first time on here, so i'd just like to say thanks to everyone in advance.

My car is a '99 RB5, which i have owned from new. It's only done 24,500 miles from new, so you can guess it doesnt get used much, indeed sometimes it only turns a wheel once a week.

Last service i was advised it needed pads. Instead of paying the money Subaru wanted for pads, i decided to shop around, and see what options i had. The car doesn't get any real hard use, and will never see a track (at least while i own it). Despite this, i decided to take the plunge and get Pagid RS421's, as they got some great feedback from users on here.

When i went to get the pads fitted yesterday as part of the next service, the garage didn't want to fit them due to the condition on the discs. The discs look fine from the roadside, through the wheels, but the rear side of the disc was heavily corroded and would have surely ripped the pads apart in no time.

My questions are as follows:-

1: Can the original discs be skimmed to remove the corrosion damage?
2: If so, can they be skimmed on vehicle, or will they need to be removed?
3: If the concensus is that new discs would be more appropriate, what would be a reasonable disc for using on a quality pad such as the Pagid RS421's i've just bought - bearing in mind the car doesn't get a hard life?
4: The brake fluid was changed out as part of the last service. If i end up getting uprated discs to go with the performance pads I have, should i go the whole hog and replace the brake lines for braided items, and obviously replace the brake fluid (again). If so, what lines and fluid are recommended?

Thanks again to everyone.

P.S. I'm thinking about selling the car. What would a lovingly looked after RB5 be worth, with one owner from new, full Subaru service history, immaculate condition, and very low mileage (24.5K) be worth privately? The car is completely standard (at least it is just now, until i get the brakes fixed)
Old 29 November 2003, 09:31 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gone for Pagid 8 groove discs on my 2000 model. I got them from http://www.midland-impreza.co.uk/ - cheapest place at the time (£160 ish I think).

I'd have thought your car would be worth £11k ish?

Cheers,

Ian.