Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Vibrations after mounting Pagid discs and pads

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 09:46 AM
AlienDiCE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Last week (Wednesday) I got my new Pagid discs and pads mounted (by a Subaru workshop) together with new hoses and fluid. The whole package. Since I didn't know how to brake in them I took it slow the first days including a 300km trip (Saturday) to a circuit on which I was going to test the car. The last (let's say 20) kilometers I started to feel vibrations every time I started to brake. The vibrations increased until I couldn't hold the wheel still while braking. This was when we arrived at the circuit. I got really worried and parked the car, checked the brakes but couldn't see any problems. I took the car out for a new spin and the vibrations were gone. Made a few HARD brakes and parked again. No vibrations but the brakes now started to smoke for a short while.
After a few hours I took the car out on the circuit and drove fast into each corner then hard braking - no vibrations. The brakes worked perfect.
On the 300km trip back home I felt the vibrations coming back again but now I made a hard brake and the vibrations was gone. This happened about 5-10 times.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Are the brakes not suited for "slow" driving with soft braking (normal highway driving) or are there some problems with the mounting?

Anyone with the same setup that have suffered from the same problem? Anyone knows what's wrong?

Pads: Pagid RS42.1
Discs: Pagid 8 groove

Before mounting: http://217.215.51.104/aliendice/gallery_030704.html
Mounting: http://217.215.51.104/aliendice/gallery_030709.html
Old 14 July 2003, 08:31 PM
shoppe
Scooby Regular

I fitted this to my turbo(my00)6 months ago and had no problems,they did make a noise once when reversing(like a stone jammed )
It sounds like they are glazing up but I have had no problems and my wife drives the car more than I do !
They could be warped but I do not think this is the cause in your case.I think it would be better to strip out the pads to see if they are touching the disc all over.
I have nothing but praise for this set up.
shoppe
Old 14 July 2003, 09:51 PM
brandy76
Scooby Regular

I have had a similar problem with the pagid set up on my WRX.
Not quite as bad as aliendice but have noticed vibrations breaking from motorway speeds!
Was planning to contact the dealer later in the week.
Also have what sounds like a slight rubbing noise when i am driving at low speeds. Sounds like the pads are constantly rubbing the discs!
Stops ok though!
Old 14 July 2003, 11:47 PM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

I have this exact setup and i too am experiencing judder when braking lightly. It appears fine under heavier braking.

I did have this problem on my last car (Rover Coupe turbo) but it disappeared when i changed my old knackered tyres. They were slightly out of shape or worn on one side, i can't remember. They must have wobbled enough to make light braking judder.

Anyway, my current set are at death's door, and the inside edge of both offside tyres are worn considerably more than the rest. Obviously tracking is screwed, but i'm hoping that the brake judder will disappear when I change them soon.

Are your tyres unevenly worn?
I'll let you know how they fair after the tyre change sometime next week hopefully (if I can find this thread).

J
Old 16 July 2003, 05:21 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same set-up on MY99 don't have any problems.
You say you are using RS4.2.1 "pads for fast road" can't remember mine being blue when i fitted mine 2 months ago.
The only way to check if they are warped is with a dail guage, to measure the disc runout.
I would give them a good few hard stops, let them cool down without resting your foot on the brake peddle, and then see how it goes.
Good luck