Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Disks & Pads or 6 Pots - Type R

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 06:50 AM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys/Gals

I am sure this has been done before but couldnt find any direct answers in the archive
Anyway I have a Version 5 Type R that is modded to around 310bhp/310lbft . I am looking to upgrade the brakes as they are currently s#it!!!!!
I dont generally use the car on the track although may dabble a few times over the summer , so the car is mainly for fast road use.

The suspension is all fully adjustable Teins with uprated STI bushes, so is hard to say the very least.

I am really looking for some advise as to whether I should just upgrade the disks and pads or look for some 6 pots.

Thanks in advance
Old 05 March 2003, 08:19 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
would really depend on your budget.........the AP 6pots are fantastic, however probs cost around 3-4 times as much as upgrading your current set-up which you could easily do for around £500!
set of grpN discs (or something like Pagid grooved), rs4.2.1 pads (or rs4.2, rs15 depending on use), braided lines and a good quality brake fluid and your brakes will be hugely improved.

however, i find it strange that you are having so much trouble with the std set-up maybe there's a minor problem like old fluid, air in the system or poss. poor quality pads???? might be worth checking this out??
any advice feel free to email me direct........
alyn - as performance
Old 07 March 2003, 03:12 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It's not hard to exceed the abilities of even the 4 pot subaru brakes.

It really depends on your driving style, how much margin you want to build in and how much you want to spend?

You don't mention what size wheels you have on? Obviously you are going to need a wheel which will facilitate a 6 pot kit?

There is only so far you can go with disc and pad upgrades but some pretty good results can be achieved without breaking the bank.

There are other options, such as smaller (16") AP kits or 4 pot AP kits Etc, but as I said previously it depends a lot on your driving style and possible future intentions?

Give me a call direct if I can help at all?

Mike
Scooby Mania
Old 07 March 2003, 06:32 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Mike, has hit it on the head.

I have owned both AP 4 and 6 pots calipers. Used both on road and track.

I have to say that due to the better selection of pads for the AP4 pots, I would go for these. Plus you would save a couple of hundred pounds.

You would be very hard pushed to fade the AP 4 pot setup on track. Thats unless your John Felstead.

Dan