Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Discs problem MY01

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2002, 07:28 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I dont know whether this is a common problem on Scoobys as I had the same problem on a MY99 but under heavy motorway braking I get a loud humming noise from the brakes like they are not working properly.
The problem with MY99 was that the front discs where fractured and IM agreed to replace the discs and pads at 14K which was nice, but with my current MY01 it has doing just over that mileage and was not bought from new and I am not sure how to get my point to the German dealer that I bought it from as my Germans not that good, guess I will have to get the wife to do it for me.
I am pretty sure its the same problem and its worse out here as you do a lot of heavy braking when slowing down at Autobahn speeds, does anyone know if this is a common fault?

Also managed to stretch her legs the other day on the autobahn and managed to see 260kph on the clock at just over 6500rpm, pretty impressive considering the book says a 236kph top speed, shame the SLK in front of me was going much faster, must of had an AMG lump under the bonnet!

Regards,

John.
Old 12 October 2002, 08:47 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sicey

Don't tell me you're going to let your wife take the dealer in her German tongue. i dunno some husbands!

(only jokin m8)
Old 12 October 2002, 08:57 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

I had my claim for cracked disc's rejected after the dealer reported the fault on the service

Car was only 6mths old and had done 7,900 miles!
I think it excludes them in the service book, they are now
"wear and tear" items

Have now got the 6 pot kit with 335mm discs from TSL - EXCELLENT

BOB
Old 13 October 2002, 02:47 AM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

had my front discs replaced on my my01 at 15.000 both had cracked was charged for pads though.Still got no real faith in them just dont like the 'feel' despite having braided s/s lines fitted.
Old 13 October 2002, 12:56 PM
nowarranty
Scooby Newbie

Red face

i am considering buying a new scooby(now theres a few grand off)but after reading the old brake probs your having i dont think i will bother.back in 97 i had a brand new scooby that ate 6 sets of pads and 6 front disks(within 27000 miles) subaru uk or IM in the end walked away from the warranty and told me it was on the grounds of i drove to fast !(even after they cracked a set of front pads driving it to Birmingham and back to have a look at it)At the end of the day a dealer told me that they have fixed the brake probs on the new ones and i will have no probs,yet at the end of the test drive i could feel them going off-same old brakes face lifted car eh
Old 14 October 2002, 06:32 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
"humming noise" - this could also be caused by the pads not bedding in properly!!
not saying it is, but if you use some pads too hard straight away then glazing occurs and the pad never operates properly after this.

the type of situations you are describing would tend to support this!?!

alyn - as performance
Old 16 October 2002, 04:56 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

this was at 19k miles on a MY01. replaced myself with Pagid n+ disks - using normal oem subaru pads for the moment - no need for anything more out on the road. Insurancewise, Tesco say its fine.

rd
Old 18 October 2002, 12:40 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys, I will get them to check it out when I get it serviced next month, I imagine this is its second set of pads as I bought the car with 27000km on the clock, but it was the Subaru dealers managers car and I would think he would have kept it in tip top condition on the firm as you do.
Just a bit of a bummer as i will need to buy winter tyres also, so hopefully it wont be a new brakes and tyres bill.

Regards,

John.