Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

not another squeaky brake post

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2002, 06:37 PM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fraid so.
Right, I can cope with the noise made by uprated pads when going slow, i.e I can hear them if the window is down
what gets my goat is the screech when I cog reverse almost as if the pads are binding, Is this normal.
While I'm on the subject how "grabby" is the hanbrake normally on a 00my turbo, mines like an on off switch.
Is it something worth investigating or is it normal
Old 14 July 2002, 07:01 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

What pads have you got?
Old 15 July 2002, 12:03 AM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

havn't got the faintest idea, only bought the car on the 4th July.
I think it might be a strip down and coppa slip up next week.
I can see what I've got in there then !!
Old 17 July 2002, 09:19 PM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

Ahh a little dissapointed now had the front and rears apart to inspect...standard subaru pads, black backing with subaru tick like emblem on em. So they were not sqeaking because of uprated pads.
So thoughts turned to handbrake pads/ shoes can't tell what they are yet as I have not taken the disc off to find out.
Had a look at the nut which holds the bearing on etc. paint dab still intact so not been apart before.
Should these not have been at least inspected in a service, she's done 20k now
Old 18 July 2002, 01:00 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have a 2 month old WRX MY2002.

I've had problems with squeaking brakes..had them stripped by the garage I imported the car through twice..still the same. The garage are not interested in sorting it (won't name them yet..as I m planning on going to the small claims court as they refuse to respond in writing to my request for them to fix the problem).

I've had the brakes looked at independantly and to my disgust the pads are pitted and cracked. You can also see where the garage has filed the edges to try cure the squeal.

My advice is have the pads checked to make sure they are safe. If they are anything like mine then I would be worried. The garage in question is obviously happy for me to drive around with them like this!!

If anyone is thinking of importing, and wants to know which garage I've had the problems with then I'm more than happy to "squeal" on them, if you give me your email address. I'm now looking else where for servicing (they do it, as they used to be a franchised dealer...narrows it down a bit!) and buying any upgrades e.t.c. and I won't buy my next Scoob from them either.

Edited to say I also have an ON/OFF handbrake. When I pull it on the car moves slightly then it locks on..wierd but effective.

[Edited by Tony_W - 7/18/2002 1:01:39 PM]
Old 18 July 2002, 01:13 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

babbers - rb5 has the same problem when in reverse i think...
Old 18 July 2002, 06:08 PM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

right, just come down from the workshop (car still under warrenty but what the hell) had a little head scratch on getting the rear discs / drums off but The 4lb copper hide hammer sorted that
There was a shed load of dust in and around the handbrake shoes.
, Didn't have any brake cleaner so I held my breath and got the airline in there, workshop turned brown this will, I feel, cure the problem of grabbing handbrake and squeak sound when in motion
all nice and shiny and clean now. Can't drive it on the road yet (31 days and counting) so I can't report if it did fix it or not but I am confident it has.
Oh, stuck some copper slip on the mating faces of the disc / drum so it's easier to friggin get off next time as well.

Tony,
shamfering off the edge of the shoes is quite a common "trick" in reducing grab so they are not "bodging" anything so don't worry there, sorry to hear about their bad communication efforts with you though. Personally I have not been back to the supplying garage for anything yet and I hope I don't need to cos they will only fleece me
Old 18 July 2002, 06:39 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've had this right since I had some rear discs and pads replaced under warranty. Took it back and theres nothing they can do about it I'll have to live with it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Put it down to the low miles I do (10k a year ) and the pad disk might be glazed and rub on each other Even though it was right from when they were first fitted........

Fob off IMHO - will sort it myself - cheers for nothing Mill Lane.
Old 20 July 2002, 10:25 AM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha, Yep I can confirm the squeak has now stopped and the handbrake is much less violent. I was passenger..Honest
Old 20 July 2002, 06:17 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Wink

My brake squeal also solved, via Graham Goode Racing :;

Got standard pads (£40 - Lucas make), as they recommended stearing clear of EBC greens (said they wer eknown to warp discs due to extra abrasion=extra heat on disc).

After 80 miles they are biting as good as the originals, AND NO SQUEAL AT LAST !!

Piece and quiet...apart from the Gp N back Box..!!