Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2018, 10:45 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R

Does anybody have any real time reviews on these I’m looking at putting them on my 500+ hawk
Old 27 January 2018, 11:03 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I have Been running them for a few years now,superb tyres in the dry can catch you out on standing water at those power levels.SJ.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:16 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love 'em!

Been running them for years, currently on the Type R - utterly brilliant synergy chassis completion

Sidewalls are pretty much some of the stiffest out there. They keep their shoulders perfectly intact throughout their life. Grip levels are immense. Good in the wet too

The R compound change a couple of years back was a welcome addition - the oils are lower temperature active

Old 28 January 2018, 09:47 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

How much would these cost for 235 45 17?

Sounds like the perfect tyre for my next set of wheels to go on

Any links would be great
Old 28 January 2018, 11:39 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Ben Patey on fb sells these tyres and is hard to beat on prices, I got 4 215/45/17s for £350 delivered
Old 28 January 2018, 12:19 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I have Been running them for a few years now,superb tyres in the dry can catch you out on standing water at those power levels.SJ.
These tyres can catch you out or standing water at this power in general?
Old 28 January 2018, 02:12 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark10sti
These tyres can catch you out or standing water at this power in general?
The tyres are superb in the dry and wet at certain power levels but....they can aqua plain especially with the kinds of power that the op has stated his car has,anyone that believes that these tyres are brilliant in the wet weather driving with 500 bhp has not driven on public roads with that kind of power,unless your talking 100% track use on different firma...but on the public roads their not as great in the wet as some more conventional compounds.SJ.
Old 16 February 2018, 12:07 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
I love 'em!

Been running them for years, currently on the Type R - utterly brilliant synergy chassis completion

Sidewalls are pretty much some of the stiffest out there. They keep their shoulders perfectly intact throughout their life. Grip levels are immense. Good in the wet too

The R compound change a couple of years back was a welcome addition - the oils are lower temperature active

Bonesetter, which size are you running? 215/45/17?

cheers
Old 16 February 2018, 01:23 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

^ 215/40 17
Old 16 February 2018, 01:36 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

I love 'em!

The compound change is good to know as I nearly got these for a DC5 a few years back but didnt due to them not 'switching on' that well in cold weather.

Amazing in the dry by all accounts.
Old 16 February 2018, 02:15 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
The compound change is good to know as I nearly got these for a DC5 a few years back but didnt due to them not 'switching on' that well in cold weather.

Amazing in the dry by all accounts.
They are a tyre which would sit well on the DC5 (I had to sell mine as was too on & off frantic. Glorious chassis)

They are perfect on the R and would have fitted them on the FSTi
Old 22 February 2018, 03:36 PM
Eacy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

^ 215/40 17
Hi bonesetter
How much to you pay for these?
Old 22 February 2018, 05:50 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eacy
Hi bonesetter
How much to you pay for these?
£122 Bud
Old 25 February 2018, 11:36 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

In 17 on my old sti they were amazing. Now have in 18 and not as impressed far too stiff over the rough stuff. The extra profile on the 17 certainly helps. Can be a bit unpredictable in the wet too...
Old 26 February 2018, 02:28 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Hairy in the wet don’t see the point tbh
Old 26 February 2018, 08:34 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset
In 17 on my old sti they were amazing. Now have in 18 and not as impressed far too stiff over the rough stuff. The extra profile on the 17 certainly helps. Can be a bit unpredictable in the wet too...
That's a good point on dia difference and makes sense. The AD08's do have very stiff sidewalls. However, the OE spec Bridgestones STi fitted on the Spec C's are pretty much as stiff...
Old 26 February 2018, 08:35 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Hairy in the wet don’t see the point tbh
The point is they are stonking performers in the dry and if you have a car you only take out in the dry, voila

I think they're OK in the wet BTW
Old 26 February 2018, 08:38 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

That's a good point on dia difference and makes sense. The AD08's do have very stiff sidewalls. However, the OE spec Bridgestones STi fitted on the Spec C's are pretty much as stiff...
​​​​​​Japanese roads are like mirrors though. Most imports have stiffer suspension too but it's not suited to UK roads same as the tyres imo
Old 26 February 2018, 08:45 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset
​​​​​​Japanese roads are like mirrors though. Most imports have stiffer suspension too but it's not suited to UK roads same as the tyres imo
Indeed. Chassis set-up always involves compromise
Old 26 February 2018, 09:55 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Indeed. Chassis set-up always involves compromise
Particularly on some British roads
Old 27 February 2018, 08:33 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Considering these for my spec c hatch, as the Bridgestone re070 that it was built round were awesome , but unavailable in 245 40 18 in Europe. Currently on Michelin supersports , which were OK in the rain.
Old 27 February 2018, 08:51 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Your MSS's will have a super soft wall compared to the Bridgestone and Yoko

All round grip levels will be best from the MSS's however, I'd wager dry the Yoko's are a draw, plus you get the feedback

Not sure what I would (will) do... if I was using the car mainly dry only, I would probably give the Yoko's a try
Old 26 November 2018, 08:38 AM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Of all places KwikFit have the AD08R in their black Friday deal I can get them fitted for 317.60 for 4. They also have Goodyear F1's for £293. I am driving a blobeye WRX wagon. I am going to be driving it all year round, am I best to go for the F1's? Are the AD08R's really on suitable for dry use? Any advise appreciated, their offer ends tonight, lol.
Old 26 November 2018, 08:42 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooobydont
Of all places KwikFit have the AD08R in their black Friday deal I can get them fitted for 317.60 for 4. They also have Goodyear F1's for £293. I am driving a blobeye WRX wagon. I am going to be driving it all year round, am I best to go for the F1's? Are the AD08R's really on suitable for dry use? Any advise appreciated, their offer ends tonight, lol.
Well, yesterday I took mine off and put Rainsports on for the winter. They are the better foul weather performer

The AD08's have been epic on the hatch this summer
Old 26 November 2018, 08:58 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Got AD08r on my 340bhp daily Bug Sti

1st tyre i've used where it car spin up all 4 in the wet from an aggressive 1-2 shift,

Dry grip is pretty insane tho
Old 26 November 2018, 01:26 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Got AD08r on my 340bhp daily Bug Sti

1st tyre i've used where it car spin up all 4 in the wet from an aggressive 1-2 shift,

Dry grip is pretty insane tho
Are you going to run them over the winter?

A 3rd option was Rainsport 3's, they are on Camskill at approx £265 delivered which will work out roughly the same price once fitted.
Old 26 November 2018, 01:52 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

A 3rd option was Rainsport 3's, they are on Camskill at approx £265 delivered which will work out roughly the same price once fitted.
My money would be with the RS's which I ran through last winter and was completely happy with them

The F1's have soft side-walls and are not that grippy
Old 26 November 2018, 02:45 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I mentioned that I swap from Winter Tires to Summers.

I'm using Nankang NS-2R XL 180-Medium for track and currently Hankook for winter / rain
personal choice is not to road drive the Subaru in temperature less than 10 deg if I have my Summer Track tires on. I can't get the grip I need to have any real fun till the Asphalt warms / dries up.

These are relative non compliant ( re-inforced side walls ) have high load index's and they are prone , as indeed many top performance dry tires are to aqua-planning. Typical track tires Toyo Proxes / Yokahama Advans all will show excellent dry performance , but you get this at some cost of wet weather performance , particularly in colder weather.

Summer tires Offerings from Michelin / Conti / Pirelli / Dunlop are normally still very good in wet provided the temperature is above 7 or 8 degrees but the top names tend to be expensive, after that as it gets colder you are looking to change to a Silica mix rain tread with more tread depth / and multiple laminas ( a compliant type ) These are in my view more suitable for UK roads from Sept - April as even if its not raining the ground is still damp , uneven with rough asphalt ,and the usual smear of mud/salt mixed in.

All year round tires are an alternative if you don't have another set of wheels, I had very good experience on Goodyear Ultra 7's but to be honest a 17 inch set of used WRX alloys with these or other known reasonably priced Wet weather tires like Uniroyals are by far preferable in winter months than trying to get through the whole year on a set of Semi Slicks, and a set should be very cheap as most on here like to sell them for Sti 18 inch wheels for larger brake disc combo's.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:20 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea i plan to run em on the Bug over the winter, ask me in March if i regret it,

The silly thing is my weekend Blob with a fair chunk more power runs the Uniroyals RS3

The Rainsports are far from a performance tyre, they feel pretty poor in the bends and soon melt themselves, but traction is never an issue in a straight line or braking,

Wet performance the AD08R pretty scary, better be prepared for that 1st hard stop in the wet, however in the dry it has to be one of the best ive tried,

Next move i hope to swap the RS3 on my Blob for some Cup 2's
Old 26 November 2018, 04:05 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Reading the German test reports on the Rain 3's you will be in good hands against aquaplaning and in side slip for these they are top tires , supposed to be reasonable in dry handling as well.
However ......
These were tested as Summer tires , so it applies that the intended use is >7 deg °C .

Over here they prosecute you if you cause an accident in winter conditions , and insurance does not pay on Summer tires which these are,
so most of us change to All seasons or Full winter tires.

Bear this in mind especially if it gets close to freezing as they won't offer good grip then.

Quick Reply: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R