Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

brake pads not fitting correctly into the brackets and seizing over time

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2017, 02:59 PM
sgking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pads not fitting correctly into the brackets and seizing over time

we have owned our bugeye for 12 years. for years i would fit replacement brake pads (front and back) and they would always be a squeeze to get into the flimsy brackets which are fitted to the calipers, then of course over time they would seize in the said flimsy bracket so i would have to buy new pads even discs sometimes due to odd wear patterns.

so fed up of this after a few years, i removed the flimsy brackets and just fitted the pads without them, and the brakes work great (just like other cars, with no odd wear) but they do rattle a bit. i have kept this arrangement for years now and apart from the rattle, the brakes are always great.

so im wondering what the issue is and if you all experience the same thing? Our car has the 2 pot front calipers and has the usual rear calipers. is there a common problem where aftermarket brake pads do not fit into the subaru flimsy brackets?

theres no way i am the only one who has suffered this surley?

thanks
Old 03 September 2017, 04:35 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your talking about 2pot sliding calipers then most commonly there can a build up of corrosion under the steel pad spring or simply poor tolerances on the aftermarket pads