Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Stuck piston

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2017, 10:03 PM
Scrappydoo13
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck piston

Hi, today I decided to tackle the brakes on my blobeye project and in doing so I have discovered that one of the pistons on the driver side caliper won't push back and is stuck solid! I have tried a bar, a bigger bar and a G clamp but it won't shift!!

Any suggestions and if it's fooked how do i repair it?
Old 15 August 2017, 11:54 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a common fault with subaru calipers, the pistons they use corrode quite badly and get pitted and eventually seize as yours has. Ideally you would rebuild them with new seals and stainless pistons, Godspeed sell the refurb kit and their fairly easy to refurb yourself.

As a short term fix you car remove the seized piston and lightly wet sand it with fine paper / scotchbrite and remove the corrosion, then reinsert it and it should move more freely but may weep fluid depending on condition of the pistons and seals.

I found the easiest way to remove a stuck piston was to wedge/ block all other calipers and pistons and then use the brake pedal to pump the stuck one out.
Old 16 August 2017, 12:07 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Or a compressed-air line if you have access to one. Just be careful as they pop out with a fair degree of force...
Old 17 August 2017, 08:31 PM
Scrappydoo13
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emm well I lost the plot with it and resorted to using a 4 tonne press......worked a treat!!!