Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brembo Calipers, How Tight??

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2016, 11:09 PM
Lettuce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo Calipers, How Tight??

So i dont have a torque tool, but how tight are you supposed to do the securing nuts on Brembo calipers on a 04 STi?. Ive tightened them fairly tight with a ratchet using both hands (obviously you can get too much leverage with the restricted space of the wheel arch), im just wondering it you can over tighten them too much?....but i guess this would just be an issue when you have to replace the disc again?

That said the first Caliper i did on the front come off easy but it was a bitch to get back on, the nut kept tightening up about 75% of the way in, i had to keep loosening it off again (which was a struggle as for what ever reason it was super tight) spraying it with WD40 and then tightening it up again, just kept loosening and tightening until it was fully in!. Im super surprised i never sheared the head off the nut as it was such an effort getting it the last 10% of the way in!

The other 3 calipers weren't an issue at all and probably did all 3 of them in the time it took me to do the first problematic one!
Old 24 October 2016, 10:04 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lettuce
So i dont have a torque tool, but how tight are you supposed to do the securing nuts on Brembo calipers on a 04 STi?. Ive tightened them fairly tight with a ratchet using both hands (obviously you can get too much leverage with the restricted space of the wheel arch), im just wondering it you can over tighten them too much?....but i guess this would just be an issue when you have to replace the disc again?

That said the first Caliper i did on the front come off easy but it was a bitch to get back on, the nut kept tightening up about 75% of the way in, i had to keep loosening it off again (which was a struggle as for what ever reason it was super tight) spraying it with WD40 and then tightening it up again, just kept loosening and tightening until it was fully in!. Im super surprised i never sheared the head off the nut as it was such an effort getting it the last 10% of the way in!

The other 3 calipers weren't an issue at all and probably did all 3 of them in the time it took me to do the first problematic one!

Taken from the Subaru service manual:

Tightening torque:
Non-turbo model:
26.5 N.m (2.70 kgf-m, 19.5 ft-lb)

Turbo model:
37 N.m (3.8 kgf-m, 27.5 ft-lb)

It's easy to strip the thread when removing or replacing calipers, and helicoils are often required as a result.