Which discs?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2016, 10:52 AM
scooby_mad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which discs?

Hi,

I need to replace the rear discs on my 03 JDM STI and I'm looking for some help/advice on what to get. What I've found so far:

MTEC (MTEC1203) - Groove etc £90 - £105 for c hook

GodSpeed - Grooved £120 / hook £130

EBC Plain (D1057) - £153

Scoobyworx grooved - £187

Scooby clinic grooved - £238

EBC drilled/grooved (GD1057) - £245

Tarox F2000 - £286

There is also black diamond but I'm not sure about black discs?

I've read mixed comments about Godspeed and EBC - however most of the EBC comments were posts from 6 years ago. I've had a couple sets of Godspeed discs up front and they didn't seem to last all that long, even though I wasn't doing track days.

What are your opinions on the above discs, what would you recommend? For £130 the godspeed hook does look tempting but the previous front ones not lasting long (2 or 3 sets) puts me off slightly.

Are there any others you recommend? Brembos are about 300 for rear

Also what pads would you recommend? I may need to replace front pads soon as well - I have performance friction 2 piece discs up front and performance friction pads all round at moment - standard rear discs. I don't do track days just now, normal and fast road

Many thanks for any help
Old 23 June 2016, 06:36 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby_mad
Hi,

I need to replace the rear discs on my 03 JDM STI and I'm looking for some help/advice on what to get. What I've found so far:

MTEC (MTEC1203) - Groove etc £90 - £105 for c hook

GodSpeed - Grooved £120 / hook £130

EBC Plain (D1057) - £153

Scoobyworx grooved - £187

Scooby clinic grooved - £238

EBC drilled/grooved (GD1057) - £245

Tarox F2000 - £286

There is also black diamond but I'm not sure about black discs?

I've read mixed comments about Godspeed and EBC - however most of the EBC comments were posts from 6 years ago. I've had a couple sets of Godspeed discs up front and they didn't seem to last all that long, even though I wasn't doing track days.

What are your opinions on the above discs, what would you recommend? For £130 the godspeed hook does look tempting but the previous front ones not lasting long (2 or 3 sets) puts me off slightly.

Are there any others you recommend? Brembos are about 300 for rear

Also what pads would you recommend? I may need to replace front pads soon as well - I have performance friction 2 piece discs up front and performance friction pads all round at moment - standard rear discs. I don't do track days just now, normal and fast road

Many thanks for any help
Use SCOOBYNET discount code for 10% off ours :-)

Used in track and rally without issue :-)
Old 23 June 2016, 08:07 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would,nt get too hung up about rear discs-the rears only do 10-20% of the braking and dont get anything like as hot as the fronts -i would probably do 3 sets of front pads &discs to 1 pair of rear pads. grooved and dimpled in any make you like really just to maximise whats there. good time to freshen the brake fluid too.
Old 23 June 2016, 08:19 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

EBC are still ****e even up to now 23/06/2016 end of.....Godspeed on the other hand make some quality disc,and is where I would be spending my money.SJ.
Old 23 June 2016, 08:29 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the origin of the discs available and where they are made.

Also wether they are cheap poor quality discs which have been machined to be grooved.

A discs designed from the outset as a performance disc is what is better.

Discs which are cheap are exactly that. But on the flip side you don't need to buy the most expensive.

Do your research on what people are using and read reviews.

I won't sell EBC as a brand I don't think they are value for money and I don't rate their pads but their discs are quite good quality so I have to disagree with some of the comments on here already.

I won't say bad things about other businesses products but some comments make me smile about what other brands are good

Enough of my chatter anyways and anybody wanting a high quality discs built as a grooved performance disc from the outset your welcome to use the forum discount code SCOOBYNET and take advantage of 10% off our SWRD 8 Groove premium brake discs

http://www.scoobyworx.com/swrd-premium-8-groove-brake-discs-2302-p.asp

Last edited by Darrell@Scoobyworx; 23 June 2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 23 June 2016, 08:34 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

DBA
Old 23 June 2016, 08:58 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx
Look at the origin of the discs available and where they are made.

Also wether they are cheap poor quality discs which have been machined to be grooved.

A discs designed from the outset as a performance disc is what is better.

Discs which are cheap are exactly that. But on the flip side you don't need to buy the most expensive.

Do your research on what people are using and read reviews.

I won't sell EBC as a brand I don't think they are value for money and I don't rate their pads but their discs are quite good quality so I have to disagree with some of the comments on here already.

I won't say bad things about other businesses products but some comments make me smile about what other brands are good

Enough of my chatter anyways and anybody wanting a high quality discs built as a grooved performance disc from the outset your welcome to use the forum discount code SCOOBYNET and take advantage of 10% off our SWRD 8 Groove premium brake discs

http://www.scoobyworx.com/swrd-premi...scs-2302-p.asp
I am not a business man but I have been modifying cars for the last 27 years so know my onions I would only recommend things that I have personally tried out on my own vehicles and proved to be fit for purpose,i rate godspeed brakes highly for the price he sells them at and they still work under hard use and Plus he's no quibble guarantee whether used on road or track,but if money was no expense I would recommend performance friction disc and pads to go with the brembo calipers,as they are what I use on my own and my wife's Subaru and they have been faultless,but saying that I would still Sport godspeed brakes in a heartbeat as I find them to be quality.SJ.
Old 23 June 2016, 09:40 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brembo calipers with Performance Friction z rated pads front and rear on Godspeed grooved discs work for me
Old 23 June 2016, 11:42 PM
scooby_mad
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies and info. I've decided on performance friction pads as I've currently got them front and back and PF discs up front. I've been told standard pagid discs for the rear should do nicely since I'm not doing track days so I think I will go with them, all in about £190 scoobyworx discs are tempting though, especially with the discount