Tyre advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2016, 02:28 PM
Shaqs77
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre advice

Hi

I've recently bought. Standard blob sti and the tyres need replacing. What would you guys recommend. I need it mainly for everyday driving as its my daily runner. Tyre size is 225/45/17

Cheers
Old 22 May 2016, 03:12 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Yokohama V105s have really impressed me.
Old 22 May 2016, 03:15 PM
Shaqs77
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by InTurbo
Yokohama V105s have really impressed me.

Aren't Yoko's really soft compound?? Need something in the middle. Not track day soft and not last 5 years hard!!
Old 22 May 2016, 03:25 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

There a 240 tread wear rating, in comparison a Yokohama Ad08r is a 180
Old 23 May 2016, 07:41 AM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

goodyear F1 eagles I run same size on my hatch.... no problems in wet or dry very happy with them
Old 25 May 2016, 12:48 PM
Rab555
Scooby Regular

Always used Bridgestone potenza RE050A. Subaru put them on at the factory, I don't feel in a position to argue with their choice lol. Blob WRX.
Old 25 May 2016, 01:36 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Eagle F1s Asymmetric 2 /3
Old 25 May 2016, 02:03 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I've just gone through this, albeit in 225/40/18 on a WRX (coilovers & 300bhp so a fair comparison to a stock STI in terms of handling traits etc) and settled for the Yoko Advan 105's. I've had Eagle F1 Asym 2's on there for the past few summers (I have Sottozero 3's on the OEM wheels for winter). I probably put more thought into what tyres to go for than some people do into choosing a new car!

Copying from a post I put on Pistonheads as to why I chose;
Michelin PSS - difficult to get in the right size for the right price (I'm not paying £125 a corner). Soft sidewalls were also a concern.
Michelin PS4 - Loved the PS2 on my old octavia but didn't like the soft sidewall and didn't see any evidence to suggest the PS4 would be any better. The Impreza also really doesn't like soft sidewalls, or rather I don't like the feel of the sidewall settling, even in 40 profiles.
Eagle F1 A2 - Was tempted to just get another set of these if I could find them for the right price. I couldn't, they were more expensive than the 3's!
Eagle F1 A3 - Again, as with the A2, I was tempted by these. However, I kept thinking back to the times where I've really not enjoyed the floaty feeling they can have through undulating corners and decided against it.
Contisport 5P - Most places don't seem to differentiate between the 5 & the 5P which was a concern as I didn't want to end up with the non-P spec tyres (especially as some seem A wet rated and others B wet rated).
Yoko AD08 - Good wet grip, but less life (not the biggest concern though to be honest), and having spoken to a few mates who've used them on wet track days in Europe, definitely not good in standing water. This was my only reservation and the only reason I didn't go for them.
Toyo T1R - Not even on my radar. They were okay on my old 145 Cloverleaf but tyre technology has moved on a lot since 2005 and even then I was very aware that they were soft sidewalled and not up to the then-current F1 GSD3.

So, the Yoko V105 - Stiff sidewalls (albeit not as stiff as the AD08) and some pretty decent reviews online from a fairly wide spectrum of sources. Cheap enough that if they don't last as long as the Good Year's I won't cry, and similarly, if they lose a few percentage points in grip but gain in feel and predictability thanks to their casing then I'll consider that a win.

Basically, I don't like the feeling of the car as it settles over crested/undulating corners and on the F1's this was quite pronounced although the F1's are awesome when there's lots of standing water around or the roads are greasy. Pirelli's were an other option as they do have stiffer sidewalls but in my experience tend to focus less on wet weather performance. The old Rosso Asym's never impressed me in that regard and neither did the nearly new Nero GT's that were on the car when I got it.

Give it ten days and I'll give some Yoko feedback!
Old 26 May 2016, 08:11 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Nice write up. Interestingly know one has come forward about Potenza 070 which were standard on the hatch IIRC?

Had them on my DC5 and they were great in the dry, the wet not so.
Old 26 May 2016, 09:18 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusti
Nice write up. Interestingly know one has come forward about Potenza 070 which were standard on the hatch IIRC?

Had them on my DC5 and they were great in the dry, the wet not so.
They'd have been on my shortlist had they been easier to get in 18". However, assuming the OP is still on stock 17" rims, then he can get them dirt cheap (£67) through tyreleader and they're a pretty decent option if you're also looking to the likes of the AD08/595RS-R's.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...Fegp0wodPKYEAg

I had the RE050A's on my Octavia vRS years ago and while the Pole Position's were awesome, the non-PP seemed very lacklustre in comparison. Softer sidewalls and harder rubber. They certainly weren't a patch on the Pilot Sport 2's I replaced them with.