Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Sticky rear caliper....I think?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2015, 09:01 PM
Matt_182
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticky rear caliper....I think?

Just picked myself up a blobeye wagon last week and I've noticed what feels like the rear caliper sticking then releasing when pulling away.

The car seems to move freely with brakes and handbrake off however I've also noticed a slight squeal when driving along, possibly the pads binding ever so slightly?

Took the rear wheel off with the intention to remove pads etc however couldn't remove the pads pins! An I missing a trick or are these a pain to remove?

Hoping it's not anything more serious but trying to rule things out one by one...
Old 31 August 2015, 09:54 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you remove the pin retaining clip at the back. Once that's out you need to chap them out with a punch if they are stuck.

Give everything a clean and sand off any corrosion on the pins. Make sure the pads can move freely and also the Pistons can move back into the caliper.
Old 01 September 2015, 06:17 AM
Matt_182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobP1
Did you remove the pin retaining clip at the back. Once that's out you need to chap them out with a punch if they are stuck.

Give everything a clean and sand off any corrosion on the pins. Make sure the pads can move freely and also the Pistons can move back into the caliper.
The pins had a Phillips head on them so I assumed they where on a thread, is this not the case? If so I'll bang them out and check the piston movement.
Old 01 September 2015, 08:17 AM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

The thread is to allow you to twist them when you fit the retaining clip. You twist the pin to lock the clip in place.

The most common issue is excessive brake dust stopping everything moving freely including the pads. Make sure you clean the sliders where the edge of the pad moves in the caliper.

The piston should push back into the caliper relatively easily but may need a g clamp or push back tool. If you open the bleed nipple before doing this you'll also prevent fluid being forced back the wrong way to abs unit and master cylinder. Just catch the fluid that comes out in a container and top up the reservoir when you're done.

Last edited by ScoobP1; 01 September 2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01 September 2015, 09:29 AM
Matt_182
Scooby Regular

Great advice, I'll have a go this weekend and see if I can free it up. Had the same problem on my old Clio but a clean up kept it going for a bit longer.
Old 01 September 2015, 12:55 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

No worries, PM me if you get stuck and in case I dont see this thread.