Brake pad issue!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2015, 08:12 PM
Kassim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad issue!

Hello all,

I am new to the scooby community. I have bought a scooby 2 weeks ago. My front pads needed doing, so I popped in to euro car parts, and was adviced to buy pagid front pads. I got them fitted and after about 40 mins or so of driving, I started reversing the car and everytime I brake there is an extremely loud squeel, sometimes if I am driving and coming to a halt it squeel but not so loud and apparent as when in reverse.

Now I asked around they said "cheap pads do that" so I went to a workshop and got them changed again, to see if it helps. This time the workshop put in Textar pads. I got out of the workshop and same thing 30 mins later boom same loud squeel in reverse.

So if I change the pads again to something like EBC and it happens again, I am just wasting money, which I don't have very much off due to the recent car purchase.

I really don't know what it could be. Can someone please advice. I actually extremely sad!!!

Just to add, on inspecting the pagid pads there is some chipping. Do you think euro car parts will refund me my money as I purchased them on their recommendation.

Last edited by Kassim; 23 May 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 23 May 2015, 09:00 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

My Mintex 1155 did the exact same ok forwards but squeal going backwards. Just fitted Brembo brake pads today and they squeal going backwards too I fitted them with correct stainless shims and smothered in pad goo and copper slip, I just live with it. I think it's just the dust. Still bedding in see how they settle in 200 miles or so.
Old 23 May 2015, 09:54 PM
Kassim
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Davie. Does your squeel make people look around, or is it a subtle noise. Mine sounds like a bus braking. I was going to go down to shin route too. But if you had no luck then no point for me to try.
Old 23 May 2015, 10:00 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

its subtle not rally car squeal, the genuine Subaru shims are top to bottom bias to make them quiet going forward the shims make a difference so would fit them if you have none.
Old 23 May 2015, 10:45 PM
Kassim
Scooby Regular

Just so you get an idea of the squeel.

http://youtu.be/8jEfD7VYZ4E

A small clip of the squeel. What do you think?
Old 24 May 2015, 03:16 PM
Kassim
Scooby Regular

UPDATE!!

There is good news!! I went to my mates and jacked the car up. I took the pads off copper grease the back of them and the Pistons edges and there is no squeel or squeek.

Coming back to it today. The squeel is back it seems fine when the brakes are cool but when hot they squeel loud backwards and a general squeek going forwards.

What can be the problem any idea.

Last edited by Kassim; 25 May 2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 25 May 2015, 10:20 PM
CJPow
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a set of Mintex pads and once they start to warm up they squeal rather bad. I've put up with it but contemplated changing the pads out.
Old 25 May 2015, 10:24 PM
Kassim
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply back.

I am near to swaying on the side to put up with the noise. But for safety is it something dangerous? have a look at the video, would yours have a similar sound or does it sound like its something bigger?

Old 26 May 2015, 12:07 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Much a do about nothing my friend,some pads squeal others don't,it all comes down to pad material used in there production,as long as your car is stopping efficiently i can't see you should ever have a problem,just turn your radio up louder.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 26 May 2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 26 May 2015, 12:34 AM
Kassim
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice SJ, the scoob does brake normal, i mean the discs got hot after i thought i go for a brake testing run to see if the problem happens on a cold or hot brake, and come back the brakes were hot to touch, but i guess that will happen if the pads are new.

i guess i am going to have to wait till all four corners need doing, and replace with better non squeel or squeeky stuff.
Old 26 May 2015, 04:32 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Kassim
Thanks for the advice SJ, the scoob does brake normal, i mean the discs got hot after i thought i go for a brake testing run to see if the problem happens on a cold or hot brake, and come back the brakes were hot to touch, but i guess that will happen if the pads are new.

i guess i am going to have to wait till all four corners need doing, and replace with better non squeel or squeeky stuff.
Sounds like a planI have never changed pads unless i do them all at once,or at least in pairs i.e front together or rears together as when they bedin it is more uniform instead of one side gripping harder then the other side etc... as that is just asking for problems.If you can get some performance friction Z rated pads next time(dependent) on what caliper you use,i know for sure that they are a excellent pad,and also a pad that does not squeal and they only have minimal dusting. .SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 26 May 2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 26 May 2015, 12:13 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

The last pair i had fitted had virtually no noise till the were worn down near the limit. Upon removal, i found they had 2 shims on each pad. One plain and one had slots in it. Fitted the new ones with both shims except i forgot to put the slotted one on one side .Guess what.? That side squels so looking for new ones to put in
Old 26 May 2015, 12:15 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Also, i had Ferodo DS2500 on a golf on standard discs. Absolutely brilliant and not much dust either. Bit expensive though
Old 05 June 2015, 12:19 AM
Kassim
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice SJ and Kevo, i suppose it is a waiting game, i probably am going to keep the same callipers and get a good set of pads and discs and change them for rear and front. As mentioned by SJ best to keep them uniformed for a more efficient future.

thanks for all the advice and help, i really appreciate it.

Regards
Kassim