Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Alcon prodrive upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2002, 12:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What spec is the Alcon upgrade for the P1.

are they 4 pots or 6 pots?

Basically how do they differ generally.
cheers
Old 06 June 2002, 12:50 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

They are larger 4-pot calipers with 330 x 32 mm grooved discs.
Performance wise they are MUCH better than std.
P.S. mail me at bitob@hotmail.com if you want a set, as i may sell mine.

Cheers
Old 06 June 2002, 03:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

just out of interest, isnt the unsprung mass much higher as a result of having the one piece discs and bells?

IIRC the AP kit is significantly lighter, with the same if bnot better performance, and cheaper maintenance.
Old 07 June 2002, 08:59 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Smile

Probably not alot in it weight wise between standard and Alcon as the callipers are soo much lighter..however I agree AP 4 pots are probably the 'best' solution, but not the most aesthetically pleasing as the 294mm discs don't fill 17" wheels. AP 6 pots are a great choice as they are the most fashionable setup, so add value come resale time. I run Alcon, they are great on our STI4, but were not as impressive on our bugeye..feel wasn't as good.
If you do go with Alcon I'd suggest getting stainless hoses fitted front and rear at the same time - this isn;t done as standard with the Prodrive kit.
Chuck
Old 07 June 2002, 03:44 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
The Prodrive Alcon kit uses a 4-pot alluminium caliper and big grooved discs with cast integral bells. The only thing wrong with them is the integral bell which is not only heavy but can also cause warping under track day conditions. However, the caliper is so light that overall they're still lighter than stock. You need 17in wheels.

AP-Racing do three official kits for Scoobs, all with alluminium calipers and discs mounted on separate alloy bells. This is a major performance advantage and the discs are cheaper to replace, too. There is a 4-pot kit which fits under 16in wheels, and for 17in wheels there's a choice of either 4-pots or the awesome 6-potters. Make sure you get a pukka APR kit, eg from Scoobymania, and not one put together from cheaper bits by a retailer - not that they're necessarily bad, just not the bargain you thought they were!

Scoobysport do another top-drawer option, using alloy Brembo calipers mated to APR discs. They are also working on a new 6-pot kit, I believe.

If you're going to use any brakes in anger, get grooved ones - drilled can crack.

If you're spending this kind of money, you might as well get the best. I run APR 6-pots and they are litterally breathtaking

Happy stopping

Richard.