Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ABS Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2015, 11:50 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Warning Light

My ABS warning light came on today on my 05 sti while I was overtaking a car, not using brakes. The DCCD which was set to auto also seemed to be locking up when going round tight corners, although it was on auto and doesn't usually do that. I tried changing to fully open but it didn't make any difference. Smelt clutch smells when stopped, although I presume this was the centre diff?

The car has rusty rear brake backing plates, apparently they were not too bad at the last service but have been noisy.

When I turned the car off and on again it seemed to cure the problem, anyone know where to start looking?
Old 22 February 2015, 05:50 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Seeing as you say the rear backing plates are rusty, are they bad enough for bits to fall off and contaminate the abs rings , thus giving a spurious signal?
Old 12 March 2015, 10:31 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Did you get it sorted?

My ABS went offline at a trackday as I was braking into the first corner on the first fast lap. Cost me a set of nice slicks

The error code pointed to the left rear sensor but replacing that didn't cure the problem. Turned out the rear backing plate had become quite rusty and expanded and the gap between the sensor and the tone ring became too big so the sensor would not pick up the signal.
Old 12 March 2015, 05:04 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Yes - I had it looked at and there were error codes in the history for both rear wheel speed sensors and also the one of the fronts.

Backing plates are rusty so will hopefully get these sorted in the better weather. I got a snow foam lance a few months ago and the problems seem to have appeared since then. The backing plates are always much noisier after a good foaming, I wonder does the foam have a negative effect?

What is the best cure for backing plates? We have a shot blaster and powdercoat oven in work, would this do the trick or are new plates fairly cheap?