Yokohama AD08R

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2015, 01:19 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama AD08R

Hi has anyone used these tyres?
How do they drive and do you suffer any tramlining from them?
Old 15 January 2015, 04:36 PM
Primey
Scooby Regular

I've just had a set of these on my 03. However it's off the road until the spring so I'll have to let you know then!

They do look awesome if you get the 235 width though
Old 15 January 2015, 05:44 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

I run 225 45 17's ..... rate them very highly!

Theyre wearing really well too with plenty of road and track miles in all sorts of conditions 9theyre surprisingly good in the wet).

Cant say ive noticed any tram lining, but I haven't overdone it on the width so probably wouldn't expect too.
Old 16 January 2015, 03:04 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
I run 225 45 17's ..... rate them very highly!

Theyre wearing really well too with plenty of road and track miles in all sorts of conditions 9theyre surprisingly good in the wet).

Cant say ive noticed any tram lining, but I haven't overdone it on the width so probably wouldn't expect too.
I'm having the 225/45/17 fitted at the weekend? Have you noticed any side wall flex?
Old 16 January 2015, 03:07 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL - keep calm

The AD08's have the stiffest sidewalls of any tyre I have seen - they hardly need inflating with air

You wont see any flex I promise you
Old 16 January 2015, 03:09 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesetter
LOL - keep calm

The AD08's have the stiffest sidewalls of any tyre I have seen - they hardly need inflating with air

You wont see any flex I promise you
THIS!!!.SJ.
Old 16 January 2015, 04:34 PM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

I've been running a set of these for the last 3 weeks and all I can say is wow the wet grip is unreal I perviously had Goodyear f1's on my bug sti(385bhp) and could get wiggle on out of a junction or off roundabouts without much effort but the ad08's just grip! Can't wait to do track day with them.
Old 16 January 2015, 05:10 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harrisard
I've been running a set of these for the last 3 weeks and all I can say is wow the wet grip is unreal I perviously had Goodyear f1's on my bug sti(385bhp) and could get wiggle on out of a junction or off roundabouts without much effort but the ad08's just grip! Can't wait to do track day with them.
How did you find your F1's.
I have them fitted and think there way to soft and can feel them roll over in the corners. Tried all manner of different pressures in them.
Old 16 January 2015, 05:38 PM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InTurbo
How did you find your F1's.
I have them fitted and think there way to soft and can feel them roll over in the corners. Tried all manner of different pressures in them.
I thought they were ok very predictable as in knew when they would break grip, wasn't that great on track tho!! the yoko's make the F1's look budget!
Old 16 January 2015, 05:42 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harrisard
I thought they were ok very predictable as in knew when they would break grip, wasn't that great on track tho!! the yoko's make the F1's look budget!
What size did you have? I've got 225/45/17 and the side wall is so soft. Thinking they would be better in a lower profile.
Can't wait to get the Yoko's on tomorrow.

Last edited by InTurbo; 16 January 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 16 January 2015, 08:54 PM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

I had 225/40/18 and yeah they were a lot softer than the ad08's.
Old 16 January 2015, 11:31 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We run them on our wagon and we didn't like them,we are run R888 which has worked straight away and on AD08R you need put bit more heat to them if you want push on them

On track too you need put heat to them and then you can push on them...If budget allows then I would go with R888,their wear rating is worse,but lots of grip in wet or dry,which counts for me more than wear

Thanks,Jura
Old 17 January 2015, 09:45 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Like other Toyo's I've tried the 888's are just too soft

They overheated on track and turned to a to a stringy like mush, you could literally pull the compound off with your fingers

Not so the AD08's (and now R compound), which really are much more a proper tyre

Last edited by bonesetter; 18 January 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 18 January 2015, 07:54 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

They overheated on track and turned to a to a stringy like mush, you could literally pull the compound off with your fingers

Not so the AD08's (and now R compound), which really are much more a proper tyre
Id agree, I had 888's very breifly as one hot track day pretty much killed them. Yes they got up to temp quick, but overheated and rolled the tread off pretty soon after.

I gave them a few heat cycles before the track time, but they just didnt hack it..... no such issue with the yokos.

Found the 888's felt very odd at the limit too.... very inconsistent.
Old 18 January 2015, 09:03 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Would the AD08 (or indeed the 888, RSR or NS-2R) still get sticky during fast road hooning (no track work), without killing them too quickly? Are their compounds really that soft, that that would actually happen anyway - or are they not likely to properly get up to temp and 'not work'? (Bearing in mind that they would never be stressed for any significant length of time on the road - so therefore lots of '...warm/cold/warm/cold...' cycles).

I only do about 4k a year just commuting to and from work with the occasional blast thrown in, so not too bothered about a short tyre life, see. But I do like the idea of having max possible grip in the dry whilst 'on it'. Hence considering these...

Any input/advice re. the above scenario?

Last edited by joz8968; 18 January 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 18 January 2015, 09:31 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Winter months aside, undoubtedly yes

More on AD08(R) longevity here

The R888 is a lot softer and wears an awful lot quicker than the Yoko

However, I think it reasonable both of the tyres (I'm unfamiliar with the other two you mention) be classed 'extreme performance' and not ideally suited for your type of use. They are more of a hooning/track focused tyre only. Personally, I wouldn't like the 888 as a daily in greasy/wet conditions

I went for the Bridgestone S001 on my Forester STi (which sees more of an all-round duty). Having said that, the 18" Forester size is awkward, and there are probably better choices in other sizes
Old 18 January 2015, 09:56 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Me being as stubborn as I am and rufusing to run anything other than a 16 on my classic Ra. As expected found the selection of 16" tyres pretty poor. However the ad08r is available in various different 16inch options which I was impressed with
Old 18 January 2015, 10:05 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thanks bs. Food for thought...

To that end then, I'll reckon I'll end up getting Michelin PS3 (or even Super Sport - but don't come in my ideal size)... At least they'll have actual wet grip, too.
Old 18 January 2015, 11:44 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Don't forget federal rsr,s . I run these and did cadwell and they performed very well !
Old 18 January 2015, 12:41 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Thanks bs. Food for thought...

To that end then, I'll reckon I'll end up getting Michelin PS3 (or even Super Sport - but don't come in my ideal size)... At least they'll have actual wet grip, too.
Hmmm... as you've mentioned specifically SS's & PS3's, I'll have to mention my experience with them - well PS's to be specific, but the higher performing Michelin's share similarities

We are getting down to personal preferences now, and I do prefer stiffer side-walls. The Mich's are the opposite of this in many ways. They have their legions of fans, in motorsport too

The Pilot Sport series and Super Sports have probably the highest grip levels of any tyre out there, both wet & dry. Quite frankly I was amazed by the PS's wet grip - far more than the Yokohama, and easily the Yoko's equal in the dry too, so overall for grip alone the Michelins reign supreme

The PS's had a bespoke 'motorsport carcass'. The inside can be seen to have no cross-hatched banding like almost all other tyres. Instead a smooth non reinforced carcass - the PS2 went back to a cross hatch

Here's the Pilot Sport

Another big plus for Mich's (in general) is their wear rate - they last a hell of a long time, making them pretty good value long term, despite their hefty relative cost

However, they have soft sidewalls - their shoulders (front & rears) went after just 1000 miles when on my STi wagon. The biggest characteristic I didn't like was initial turn-in. It was very vague with very little feedback so you didn't know where you were so to speak - there was no instant weighting up. You had to wait for the side wall to lean over and the tread blocks to bite

Once in a corner and the tyre had settled things were great - they have a huge progression so let you know exactly where they are grip wise, and like I say, the grip was mega

Sorry if this makes things worse, or happy if it helps

Last edited by bonesetter; 18 January 2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 18 January 2015, 01:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for that.

Yeah, my mate took me out in his 182 Cup with, I think, the earlier Exalto fitted (or it may, have been the original PS - can't recall). Anyway, I remember being blown away by the immense lateral grip they found on streaming wet tarmac. I couldn't quite believe it, TBH.

But are you saying the PS are smooth and unreinforced on the inside, but the PS2 (and PS3 and SS?) do have the reinforced cross hatching?

And are you saying all PS variants and the SS have soft sidewalls, regardless? If so that's annoying...

If there's one thing a Classic needs help with, it's initial turn-in bite - it's quite vague around the straight-ahead in my (and evo's) opinion. It's not particularly confidence-inspiring. You often find yourself stabbing at the steering wheel.

Damn, that's put a bit of doubt over them now.

Last edited by joz8968; 18 January 2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 18 January 2015, 03:25 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Track use you will be hard pressed to find a better tyre than the NS2R On road the 180 version of the NS2R is awesome. I have RSR's 08's amongst others but for track I prefer the Nangkangs 08's are awesome but need lots of scrubbing in and heat... but they also overheat with prolonged use. The NS2R's need a lot of scrubbing too but they get better and better and better. The RSR's need almost no scrubbing in and in the dry they are spectacular, I found them a bit scary in the wet on track with decent power
Old 18 January 2015, 05:30 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the wet grip was truly staggering. I've never experienced anything like them for that, and with that wonderful progression

It was only the Pilot Sport with the motorport carcass

And yes, while blanket statements are difficult to be absolute, in general the Mich's sidewalls are soft

I think that's why the AD08's seem to suit the Type R so well - improving turn-in so well (I run steering rack hard rubber which helps too)

See what this chap says as a PSS & AD08 comparision
Old 18 January 2015, 05:31 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Track use you will be hard pressed to find a better tyre than the NS2R On road the 180 version of the NS2R is awesome. I have RSR's 08's amongst others but for track I prefer the Nangkangs 08's are awesome but need lots of scrubbing in and heat... but they also overheat with prolonged use. The NS2R's need a lot of scrubbing too but they get better and better and better. The RSR's need almost no scrubbing in and in the dry they are spectacular, I found them a bit scary in the wet on track with decent power
That's good to know, as I know you have AD08(R?) S202 track experience (Jammy git)
Old 18 January 2015, 08:23 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 08's and 08R's on several sets lol
Old 18 January 2015, 08:31 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Oh, I can see you were impressed
Old 18 January 2015, 09:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas. All good stuff to mull over...
Old 19 January 2015, 02:21 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I think this depends on car I would suspect

We run AD08R on our wagon and with 555bhp they struggled from cold,with R888 we didn't have this issue,when we are put bit more heat to them,they're been OK,but nowhere near R888

On track R888 in our case has been just OK,on drag strip R888 has performed better and we are tried too just trial drag run on road and with AD08R car hasn't have traction like with R888,but that's my view

Agree tyre wear is issue on R888

Thanks,Jura