Notices
West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) The official dedicated forum for West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club.

dump valve open at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2010, 02:58 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump valve open at idle?

my dump valve is open on idle, this can't be right, I tried a VTA Bailey and a std WRX IC mounted unit and both open at idle, I haven't got a boost gauge fitted as yet so I don't know the boost/vac levels, but the vac at idle shouldn't be enough to open the BOV should it?
Old 22 March 2010, 06:26 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

I thought this years ago,they do stay open when idling and when you give it some beans it closes to hold the boost and opens up to release then stays open.....all is normal
Andy
Old 22 March 2010, 07:57 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chieftain333
I thought this years ago,they do stay open when idling and when you give it some beans it closes to hold the boost and opens up to release then stays open.....all is normal
Andy
thanks Andy, that's good news, I've never thought about it before as I've never used VTA valves always using recirc valves and you sort of fit and forget those, it just seems strange that the inlet is effectively drawing unmetered air through the valve at idle. The problem is I don't yet have piece of pipe to use to recirc the valve that's on there so I've had the Bailey stuck on the end but obviously the bonnet won't close see pic

I think the best solution is to fit a later type DV that as the angled out put pipe this would then feed down next to the idle control valve and mate up to the inlet pipe, in the mean time I may try it with the std recirc venting to air or no BOV at all I love the wastgate chatter I know it's not good for the turbo but it does sound great.
Old 23 March 2010, 01:19 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

I tried mine with the standard BOV but the engine threw a wobbler and wouldnt idle properly so fitted a turbosmart part re-circ with most going back and some venting and works perfectly.....and lots of flames
Mine sounds awesome with the chatter!
Andy
Old 23 March 2010, 05:30 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

I'm running it with the std valve open to air and it's not happy, little whiffs of sooty smoke at tickover, if you remove the vac pipe the valve closes and this stops the smoke, I'm thinking the lambda is seeing the unmetered air as a lean mixture at idle and then adding fuel it doesn't need, so I'll run it to the test centre tomorrow with the BOV diconnected and keep it off boost as much as possible, plus there's still something rubbing on the N/S front brake which needs sorting, all very last minute but I just haven't had the time with all the other little issues, plus it looks a shed as no carpets in and the interior is 1/2 stripped, it will be a miricle if it passes!!!