Notices
West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) The official dedicated forum for West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club.

Car problems anyone please help

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 11:57 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car problems anyone please help

Basically Ive had my car de-cated, and had an ecutek re-map. Its a hawkeye STI with PPP.

Its now running 351 BHP and 391 ft/lb.

Since having this work done the turbo to intercooler hose with 90' elbow(red one) keeps blowing off.

It happened a few weeks ago and took it back and had it replaced, was told it must not have been put on correctly, and that it was now fixed and it wouldnt happen again.

The car was fantastic after this, its never been so quick, really smooth, and no turbo whine whatsoever.

Then this weekend hose came off again, this time I took it to Main dealer to put back on, they did, and withing 30 miles it was off again .

Had to call Subaru Assist out as sick and tired of taking it to get fixed. He put the hose on again, and still can hear a fair lot of turbo hissing, and car although is fairly quick just seems to not be the same.

This time though the pipe seems to be in place and clamped down well.

Has anyone had these sort of problems before, or can suggest what I should do now.

I had all the work carried out by Scoobyclinic, but to be honest they have been anything but helpfull, and Kevin has been quite rude to me at times, and I just dont trust to take the car back to them. Everytime I go down there someone seems to be having a problem with work they have carried out.

Is there anywhere else I can go, or can anyone suggest anything I should do?

Im that sick of the car now im beginning to wonder whether to get rid

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or any good/bad storys about the clinic, as I really dont know whether to take it back to them.

Thanks guys
Old 19 March 2008, 12:41 AM
Monkeydile
Scooby Regular

Don't where you are based but maybe you could try Rick at RE Motorsport. Also a friend of mine told me about Pennine Subaru, Hebden Bridge direction. It's run by a bloke called Chy, he builds engines/remaps etc and apparently is amazing. You can get them on 01422 845007
Old 19 March 2008, 06:47 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Raf

From your description of how the car is running now it sounds like the pipe may have split, probably as a result of the repetitive re-fixing that's been taking place. It's not something I'm too familiar with, as I try not to do oily bits, but you could have a look around and see if there's a hard pipe kit available to replace the (presumably) silicone hose.

I'd suggest giving Andy a call at AET (Club forum sponsors, there's a link up there ^ somewhere ) as he will know if there's a better, stronger replacement available.
Old 19 March 2008, 07:39 AM
Princess on board
Scooby Regular

hope you get it sorted soon Raf,

(dont sell it)

Pob x
Old 19 March 2008, 07:56 AM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

raf sometimes the lip of the hose when connecting to the turbo can catch so looks fitted but leaks. just take the intercooler off check the pipe for splits then re fit use a tinny bit of lube on the inner of the hose and making sure before you push it home that all of the lip of the hose is around the turbo. once you've pushed it as far as you can with intercooler then connect the intercooler to the throttle body tube. you'l then need a long screw driver and on the red hose connecting to the turbo you'l see a black nuckle use this with screw driver to rest on throttle body push it home as far as possible and tighten the clip as tight as pos hope that helps.

taken my intercooler off so many times when fitting stuff new turbo etc should only take 10mins to do right and you'l be supprised how many big names don't do the small things right sometimes just over looked as not always 1 person working on your car etc

if you need any help with it and you can get over to wakey i'l gladly help you
Old 19 March 2008, 10:03 AM
JAKbauer24
Former Sponsor

Raf im sorry you feel the need to disrespect our work on a open forum and im even more sorry that your not happy with us ...

Lets break it down :-

Basically Ive had my car de-cated, and had an ecutek re-map. Its a hawkeye STI with PPP.

Its now running 351 BHP and 391 ft/lb.
Nice figure on a really nice car.

The car was fantastic after this, its never been so quick, really smooth, and no turbo whine whatsoever.
Good So far...

Then this weekend hose came off again, this time I took it to Main dealer to put back on, they did, and withing 30 miles it was off again
Not us.

Had to call Subaru Assist out as sick and tired of taking it to get fixed. He put the hose on again, and still can hear a fair lot of turbo hissing, and car although is fairly quick just seems to not be the same.
You called me (JB) I said let me see the gaffer... and getting it sorted

Tried several times to call you back... All i got was this phone is temporary unavailable Please call back later....

Now the solution is an uprated hose and clip Orded And Instock for you free of charge when you can make it down....

I had all the work carried out by Scoobyclinic, but to be honest they have been anything but helpfull, and I just dont trust to take the car back to them.

ANYTHING BUT HELPFULL

I ask you raf did we not lend you a brand new BMW when we could not map the car due to time constraints... Did we not give you 351 BHP and 391 ft/lb without asking for payment as of yet Did we not deliver the car out of business hours

Everytime I go down there someone seems to be having a problem .
We are a garage... Have you ever been to the doctors and seen a load of sick people ... The doctor must be **** then
:

and Kevin has been quite rude to me at times,
]#

For this there was no excuse BUT He did apolgise the next time he saw you and feels guilty... but in our world try and understand this we are pulled at from the day we start here to our death beds, And yes i have examples

The other week a customer and wyioc member text me at 1:30 pm to see if his car was done, the other have fallen out with me because I won't answer there calls at 11pm on a sat night... It's hard to switch off ...

Granted this is all By the by but as I have said Kevin apologised for him snapping at you and we as scoobyclinic are upset that you are not happy with our service But please bear with us as in your own words your always far too busy how do you do it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or any good/bad storys about the clinic, as I really dont know whether to take it back to them.
Just ask Sticky....

Thanks JB

Last edited by JAKbauer24; 19 March 2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 19 March 2008, 10:58 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It still came off !
Mine is a diy job, and hasn't ever blown a hose, died at a trackday or been rude to me...

As for "dealing" with customers, that goes with the territory....

See you soon

Duncan
Old 19 March 2008, 11:39 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

James,

Im sorry that I aired my views on an open forum, but to be honest after how I felt yesterday, I feel I was very conservative considering.

Tell me how you would feel if your £18k car had been unreliable for the last 4 weeks, and you use it as an every day car.

I understand things are not always straight forward, but each time I have to travel down to the clinic it costs me both in Fuel and staff time to cover my shifts at work.

Its ok saying that it isnt the clinics fault the pipe came off this time, as the main dealer put it back on, but the reason I went to the main dealer is because last time it came off I made the 120 mile round trip to the clinic, and guess what, it came off again, even though you did say that would definatley sort it.

I expressed my concerns about having a tougher pipe fitted at this time, and it was dismissed by you all.

I dont expect to have to keep making the drive down to you, for work that should have been sorted the first time round.

As for the BMW, yes you did lend me a lovely car as a 'courtesy car'. But this was becuase too much work was obviously booked in for that Saturday, and after having me waiting round from 10am until 3pm you then decided to tell me you wouldnt get to do my car. That trip alone cost me £30 in fuel, and £60 to cover my shifts at work.

Had I had the time to travel to you yet again this week, I would have done to get this sorted, but im currently in the middle of a 70 hour week at work, and going on holiday saturday, and need the car to make it to Liverpool airport. I know my timetable is not your problem, but you must aggree, I shouldnt have to be travelling back to you again for this pipe.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:43 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone for thier advice, took it to AET this lunch time and got it sorted, Thank you
Old 19 March 2008, 11:57 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Just had an E-mail from TSL Motorsport

as follows:-
Hi Rafeal,

Yes we do a longer intercooler hose that we use on all our tuned cars as part of the conversion for this very reason !

The intercooler to inlet manifold hoses are £19.95 + vat and we can supply new suitable wurth hose clips for £1.75 each

If you want a full hose set these are £89.95 + vat which includes the one below the intercooler

John

So I wonder, if TSL know that after modifying the car to this sort of performance, new hoses are needed, why were they not fitted to mine?
Old 20 March 2008, 12:06 AM
andyno4
Scooby Regular

i've never been to the clinic before.. i live in wakefield, and knowing i have AET, precious metals, and HDC, i dont really see the point in me blowing 60 quid in juice just for the travel... no offence to scooby clinic... but resources up here are fine and dandy
Old 20 March 2008, 12:30 AM
Monkeydile
Scooby Regular

Raf & JB I can see both your points. Yes Scoobyclinic is busy but they will always try fit everyone is as best they can. It's unfortunate Kev may have been rude to you, he was great when I was there but I guess we all have bad days.

Last year after someone went into the back of me and I had the work done there. I went down for a quote and they mentioned Accident Exchange which sounded good, free Beemer till the work was done and no need to go through my insurance. But I decided I'd prefer to use my insurance as I'd not heard of them so I got took the quote off them and sorted through my insurance.

The quote was for a new rear panel (although it was repaired so it still looked like the rest of the car, which was the best idea ), a new rear bumper, new bootlid, Scooby decal and paintwork and new number plate. I also mentioned that the drivers light cluster needed a reverse bulb at it was smashed when it was hit.

However, it took about a month to get the work done which isn't the end of the world as I knew they were busy, but it shouldn't take that long, surely? When I checked it they did a great job, repaired rear panel looked ace, new bootlid was spot on and paintwork was ace. But when I last got it serviced and mot'd and we were underneath the car it was spotted that the bumper hadn't been replaced and the reverse light wasn't replaced.

Didn't mind the light but the bumper had basically been filled, but not very well and sprayed. The new bootlid was ace and all the paintwork amazing though. I have a feeling someone decided to do most of the work but not all but get all the money from the insurers.

I sometimes wonder if it would have been different if I'd have gone through Accident Exchange as they'd suggested So half a good experience and half bad.

Last edited by Monkeydile; 20 March 2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 20 March 2008, 12:40 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Monkeydile
However, it took about a month to get the work done which isn't the end of the world as I knew they were busy, but it shouldn't take that long, surely?
Hell no!!! Provided that your insurance approved the repair straight away ie. no dispute, it should take even the most basic of bodyshops a week maximum if using new parts as suggested. All Impreza parts are available through Subaru Dealers, my rear lights came from Japan and only took a week to come.

I normally don't get involved with this sort of thread but if this is true then I'm shocked. Unless your car needed a session on the Jig, theres no excuse for a simple rear end repair to take that long.
Old 20 March 2008, 12:52 AM
Monkeydile
Scooby Regular

I left it with them after the insurance agreed everything. It did need jig work to get the rear panel how it is now but it was at the clinic for the entire of August
Old 20 March 2008, 01:35 AM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day if you take your car for work doing anywhere you expect a good job and good customer service if not you don't go there again thats why for me i wont use powerstation, TSL. wayne's scooby used powerstation on his last car hoses split and not fitted properly and injector leaking they did fix it but shouldn't happen in the first place.

I used tsl for geometry doing on my car was told to arrive at 9am and did, i was then told they'd over booked so would be 12pm and my car wasn't finished til 6pm as the mechanics where f*cking about as they have big glass doors worked on my car for 2 hours if that between messing about and at the end they tried to charge me for 6 hours work which they didn't get was well p*ssed off. so i'l never use or reccommend any of above.

with scoobyclinic not had any work done by them but been and bought a few things and must admit there customer skills arn't the best bit loud if you've been you'l know what i mean! which can put you off as it doesn't make you feel that welcome and it always makes me think what would they be like if you had a problem with them so they kinda shoot themselves in there own foot. but everything i've bought from them is top notch.

so only people i trust with my car and its all trust when it comes to your pride and joy is myself, Andy Forrest and roger clark as both there customer relations are top notch always make you feel welcome and there work speaks for its self might cost more but you have piece of mind.

i also think open forum or not you should be able to say what your experience with a company is so people can make there own mind up good or bad.

Old 20 March 2008, 01:35 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Still !
Got there in the end....

I've just been struggling to unload some cash on bits this week, five companys and only one reply from RCMS !
Old 20 March 2008, 12:47 PM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Hi,
thought I had better clear this one up.
Raf originally came to us for a de-cat exaust system, we warned him that the car may over boost afterwards, 50% of the STI,s 8 onwards suffer from this, the cure is a re- map, allowing us to get the best out of all the mods, Raf decided that was fine as he was saving up for a re-map anyway.
A few days later Raf called explaining the car was overboosting badly and that he couldnt live with it, he asked if we could re-map the car sooner rather than later, we explained we were fully booked but would make special arrangments for Saturday and sort the car.
Fridays mapping session went badly, with a couple of cars having issues, therefore a few of the jobs overspilled into Satuday.
By 3.30 PM it was clear Rafs job was going to run late and as it was absolutly freezing I suggested he take a loan car and let us map the car monday, allowing us to spend more time on it, to this he replied, "just swap my exaust back to original and forget it", now its getting on towards 4.0 clock with all the mechanics knocking off at 4.30 PM and Raf expects us to re-cat his car and refund his money, this is when I appeared rude, I am offering a brand new BMW turbo deisel car, free of charge and its still not good enough, I was not rude just frustrated, what more can we do ?. Raf went into the office and admitted to JB that he had come across wrong and actually meant he did not want his money back and was prepared to put the de-cat system on E bay, bit of a missunderstanding, he took our offer of the loan car.
Rafs car was mapped on monday and did very good power both in torque and bhp, he collected the car contacting us later to say how pleased he was with it.
The next contact about two weeks later was to say he had lost all power, he popped down and the turbo outlet pipe was adrift, this was quickly addressed and away he went all smiles, we heard nothing from him untill this week when apparantly the pipe had come off again, now this is unusual as we have done many of these and never had a problem before, we asked Raf to pop down and we would sort it, the next thing is this post.
Now I understand the cost in travelling, and its unfortunate that this problem has happend twice to this car, and I stress only this car, we have never had to uprate the pipe before in fact on an STI it is allready up rated, its just sods law.
I do hope Raf will be in touch soon as there are other matters to sort.
Cheers
Kev
Old 20 March 2008, 01:59 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Excellent response, it's always better to see both sides....

Duncan

P.S. Answer your b****y e-mails ! LOL
Old 20 March 2008, 02:29 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dunx
Excellent response, it's always better to see both sides....

Duncan

P.S. Answer your b****y e-mails ! LOL

Hi ducan,

we reply to all our emails and I have just checked and all of the current mails have been replied to and have a tick next to them, could you re-send your mail and I'll respond straight away it must of got lost in the wildnerness of the internet!

Cheers Ads
Old 20 March 2008, 05:25 PM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Raf,

When going through the various mods on my car I had the same problem caused by overboosting.

The answer is a re-map. It might not be wise to fit a stronger pipe (although yours might need it by now) since if the pipe holds and it still has the overboosting problem it could wreck something far more expensive.

Re-map first, check the pipe fitting and see how you go. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Ian
Old 20 March 2008, 05:54 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

No problem, you don't stock what I need so off elsewhere

Thanks

Duncan
Old 20 March 2008, 06:26 PM
DaveSTI350
Scooby Regular

Location: In an East Yorkshire Pub somewhere....squires Milk Bar.

Raf,

When going through the various mods on my car I had the same problem caused by overboosting. And i spent from 8 am till 9.30 pm at the clinic TBH Kev and Pat did there best and me being me would not leave my car there. that pipe blows off all the time at first............. Well it did untill an old clever mechanic told me to spray it with hairspray... and since then its never come off and my car runs slightly more BHP and torque than yours and with atleast 10 track days under its belt... and we all know how hard it is driven. . I've had some rows with Kev for one thing or another. But its always been put right. People do fall out but only a fool would keep an on going arguemant alive.... Hope its all ok tho mate... see you at blyton...

With out predjudice

Dave..
Old 21 March 2008, 12:33 AM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KnobbySP1
Raf,

When going through the various mods on my car I had the same problem caused by overboosting.

The answer is a re-map. It might not be wise to fit a stronger pipe (although yours might need it by now) since if the pipe holds and it still has the overboosting problem it could wreck something far more expensive.

Re-map first, check the pipe fitting and see how you go. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Ian
Hi Ian

Long time no see.

I had the car re-mapped withing a few days of the de-cat, as it was hitting fuel cut in every gear above 3rd after getting to 4k revs.

Has only being throwing the pipes off since the re-map.

Car seems ok since visiting AET and having the pipes all cleaned and re-fitted, so hopefully all is well.

Will see you soon mate, hope you are both well
Old 21 March 2008, 12:46 AM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Just to put this post to rest.....

As Dave said, only fools keep an argument alive.

At least for now The car is running fine, and hopefully will stay that way.

To be honest I dont totally agree with Kevs post, I was not informed that my car would constantly hit fuel boost, and I never once asked you for my money back, I only said re-cat the car. That was after you telling me and I qoute 'I dont even know what you want doing with it'. Was that not obvious? Just FIX IT! Your the so called SUBARU SPECIALIST!

Its ok to say keep popping down and sorting these poblems you have caused with the car, but at whos expense? When they should have been checked before the car was handed back to me, the custmer.
Old 21 March 2008, 05:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

To be fair, most of the problems regarding de-cats on newer cars are well documented, you SHOULD have been told it was necessary to re-map, not optional.

IMHO

DunxC
Old 21 March 2008, 11:11 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Ive had a long chat with Kev today over the phone and put everything to rest.

I dont like burning bridges, so we are both putting this matter behind us and moving forward.

Kev has offered to put the car right at my convenience, for which I thank him, and I will be popping down to the clinic in the next couple of weeks for a rolling road session as Kev wants to see what has been the matter.

Thank you for your apologies on the phone Kev, and I too apologise for causing problems to both yourself and the guys at the clinic.

Hopefully see you soon, and with all this behind us

Raf
Old 22 March 2008, 12:14 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Leave the car with me whilst your away and I'll take it down for you Think how much cheaper it will be going to the airport in one of my diesels too

Have a good break and see you soon for a Dales run
Old 22 March 2008, 02:04 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RafaelChandler
Ive had a long chat with Kev today over the phone and put everything to rest.

I dont like burning bridges, so we are both putting this matter behind us and moving forward.

Kev has offered to put the car right at my convenience, for which I thank him, and I will be popping down to the clinic in the next couple of weeks for a rolling road session as Kev wants to see what has been the matter.

Thank you for your apologies on the phone Kev, and I too apologise for causing problems to both yourself and the guys at the clinic.

Hopefully see you soon, and with all this behind us

Raf
Great stuff....