Notices
West Mids Imprezas The Official Dedicated Forum For The West Mids Imprezas. A Charity Based Owners Club Based In & Around Birmingham / West Midlands.

what to do next????

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2011, 08:27 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do next????

hi guys.
now i only have a sport so no "sell it and buy a turbo" comments please ( it would be nice but not an option at moment or for the next 3 years). i would like to improve the handling but have a budget of around £400, so was wondering what would improve it more out of the following choices.

1. frt and rear anti roll bar upgrade. 22mm frt (non adjustable) 24mm rear adjustable-whiteline.
2. possible eibach lowering springs (but with the frt splitter now on there could be issues with speed bumps and ramps at garages) whilst it would make the arches look more "filled" would this greatly improve the handling without sacrificing ride quality..
3. upgrade the springs to turbo springs ( would this lower the car slightly and feel any noticable difference than the springs on now)
4.when changing the roll bars any other recommendations (such as droplinks etc) that i could upgrade/change at the same time.

as always all comments and advice welcome.
Old 03 January 2011, 09:22 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Eibach springs and 4 wheel alignment
Old 03 January 2011, 09:54 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

Springs and shocks. I lowered mine and just changed the springs, should of got harder shock too. Sti shocks
Old 04 January 2011, 01:58 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd go for springs and alignment first. Looks better, handles better. 2 birds - 1 stone.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:49 AM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B4D HK
Eibach springs and 4 wheel alignment
+1
Old 04 January 2011, 11:18 AM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

The biggest handling difference you can make to a Sport, by far, is fitting a Whiteline rear ARB kit. Simply because the Sports don't have a rear ARB whatsoever as standard so this makes a huge difference to the rigidity of the car when going through a corner. I fitted one to mine and couldn't recommend it enough, it will cost you around £200 though, check out Balance Motorsport's website, I believe thaw the only place in the UK that supplies to specific kit for the Impreza Sports - I'll try and find the part number of mine.

Saying all that though, that would still leve you with a further £200 of your budget to either fit Eibach lowering springs or upgrade the shocks and springs to STI items. I've done the latter and it made a considerable difference in handling and feel but sadly didn't really lower the car much whatsoever.

Hope that helps!
Old 04 January 2011, 11:21 AM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

Oh and also, if you go for a 4-wheel alignment, do this after you make any changes to the suspension If you can stretch to do the above AND the alignment, you'll be properly sorted

PS. Sorry for all the typos I'm on my phone.

Last edited by Tom87; 04 January 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04 January 2011, 12:41 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies so far.
would upgrading the sports springs to wrx springs make any difference or would it be best to got the whole spring/shock combination or just eibach springs???
Old 04 January 2011, 12:51 PM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

WRX springs won't make a blind bit of difference to be honest - I believe Pyro fitted them to his Impreza before he got coilovers and he weren't impressed.

The 2 most viable options are to either fit Eibach springs to your standard shocks (will lower it 30mm) or upgrade to STI shocks and springs (will lower only about 10-15mm). Either option will cost the best part of £200.
Old 04 January 2011, 12:57 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

cheers.
eibachs are on offer at the moment for £160 and and fitting is £80 (though wmi discount) rear arb £155 frt arb £122 no idea at fitting costs as not asked yet.then factor in an alignment i think i may see if i can extend my budget to £500 and get all of the above done.
Old 04 January 2011, 01:03 PM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the Eibachs then dude. I only went for new shocks and springs because my old shocks were knackered. For the ARB fitment - I got mine fitted by Thwaites at a cost of around £40.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new front ARB, but perhaps just upgrade the droplinks to steel ones? The rear ARB kit I got came with steel droplinks etc included. All up to you anyway
Old 04 January 2011, 01:28 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

that would save me £122 not changing the frt one which would bring me under my £400 budget. even better. i assume hawkeye sports dont have a rear arb fitted ( dont have access to the car at the moment so cant go and check). i think i will just concentrate on the springs and rear arb and get the frt droplinks done at a later date.
cheers for all advice.

updated: the hawkeye sports do have a rear arb fitted but its the flimsiest piece of metal i have ever seen. so i think the final list is lowering springs £160.00. rear arb £160. fitting around £100 and then 4 wheel alignment ????. slightly over my £400 budget but i think it will be worth doing it all in 1 go rather than adding bits at a later date. i may add the drop links set at £120 being as there is a GB on at the moment from cdf racing and get it all done at the same time.

Last edited by imprezajon; 04 January 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:14 PM
Pyrotechnic
Scooby Regular

I can't remember what I got (they're still in a box downstairs), I fitted 1 corner and it didn't make any difference (granted it hadn't settled, but it wasn't going to lower me anywhere near what I wanted) so went for coilovers in the end.

I've also got front and rear upper strut braces fitted, they stiffened things up quite well.
Old 05 January 2011, 06:47 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

already got the strut braces. it was the first thing i did when i brought the car.
Old 05 January 2011, 08:33 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

Sti struts often fail I wouldn't consider them if I were you. If you do though I have 2 front sti struts you can have for free providing 02 struts will fit yours that is
Old 06 January 2011, 06:19 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

cheers for the offer but i am gonna go down the eibach route. hopefully they will still be on offer when i get paid on the 28th.

crap scoobyparts have put them back up to £199.99. bloody typical.

Last edited by imprezajon; 06 January 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06 January 2011, 07:16 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

Give them a call they may do you a deal. eibachs would have been my choice anyway mate

Struts are up for grabs if anyone wants them.
Old 07 January 2011, 11:18 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

scoobyparts do a WMI discount Jon
Old 10 January 2011, 08:01 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...ar-mounts.html

Cheap
Old 10 January 2011, 08:19 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

cheers, but i am not going down lowering the car route. just gonna put the arb's and the drop-links on and take it from there.
i dont want to ruin the ride quality i currently have and putting lowering springs on is not gonna help. plus my spliiter is already catching on some speed bumps and some car park ramps. i might even see if i can get a cheap set of wrx springs at a later date, whilst it wont drop the car, it should firm things up more than what i have at the moment.
Old 17 January 2011, 12:40 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezajon
cheers, but i am not going down lowering the car route. just gonna put the arb's and the drop-links on and take it from there.
i dont want to ruin the ride quality i currently have and putting lowering springs on is not gonna help. plus my spliiter is already catching on some speed bumps and some car park ramps. i might even see if i can get a cheap set of wrx springs at a later date, whilst it wont drop the car, it should firm things up more than what i have at the moment.
Hey mate, when you was looking into fitting the eibachs was you just going for the normal newage kit? only no one seems to list them specifically for the hawkeye?! on prodrives site the state you can use the wrx springs for the normal models upto 05 but for the 05-07 wrx (inverted shocks) it says wrx only? so just wondered if its the shocks that make the difference so can fit 03-05 wrx springs as used normal shocks.
Old 17 January 2011, 07:29 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

i just contacted james at scoobyparts and he gave me a price. hawkeye goes up to 07 so i assume they would be the same but never thought to ask. best to check from the place u decide to buy from as to fitment.
Old 17 January 2011, 09:39 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowering springs (by themselves) will change your cars centre of gravity, this in turn will make your handling worse. Keep your springs for the sake of your splitter and purchase thicker front and rear adjustable anti-sway bars, links and if you can, anti-lift kit too. All these bits would still be good for any future handling mods..
Old 17 January 2011, 09:49 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

hammer man-what is the benefit of the anti lift kit please??? that is the only part i havnt really looked into at the moment. all the other bits are on order
Old 17 January 2011, 10:23 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imprezajon
hammer man-what is the benefit of the anti lift kit please??? that is the only part i havnt really looked into at the moment. all the other bits are on order
Im no expert so Im happy for anyone to correct me here if Im wrong, but I believe it helps the car when braking hard and when moving off quickly. This may help explain things a bit better than me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGHrA...eature=related