Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

To Moderator

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 11:45 AM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Moderator person...

This question has probably been asked by loads of newbies and you are probably sick of it but What's the deal with not posting Vehicle registrations?

I don't have a problem with people knowing mine and presumably those people who've paid good money for personalised plates probably want to show them off...

....but I'm sure there is a very good explanation, like cloning?
Old 28 January 2002, 12:06 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Timbo,

Yep, that question has been asked before

I have no problem if you want to post your own number plate in full. It's up to you if you decide to give it out in full here or anywhere else. The only problem is when it comes to other peoples.

In this age of rising car crime we feel that anything that makes us more vulnerable to the criminal element should be avoided. I don't know how useful a full reg number could be to a thief, but it's possible this could be used for cloning or other illegal activities. Some people have rightly pointed out that it's just as easy for someone to go to meet, or see a car on the street and note it's details. While this is true, it was felt that we should try and minimise whatever risk there might be and so decided that it's better not to have full reg numbers posted on the BBS.

A lot of people (myself included) can be a bit concerned when too much information about their pride and joy is posted for all to see. This is especially so for the other rules (parked locations for example). Hope you understand.

Nimbus

Old 28 January 2002, 12:23 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

i think its the specific location thats more important, especially if you park there every day.
Old 28 January 2002, 03:11 PM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Thanks for clearing that up guys...

yes I suppose if you're leaving your car in the same spot unattended every day that would make it more vulnerable, though it's just as likely to be broken into/nicked by a chance thief as one who's tracking down a specific car (a la 'Gone in 60 Seconds...)

As for cloning, I suppose that's more risky in a way as somebody could copy a number plate of a similar car (make, model, colour) they know is kept hundreds of miles away and get a false plate made up and get up to all sorts of naughtiness and the rightful owner get the blame?

I think I've probably just rationalised myself into agreeing with you when I didn't think I did initially!!!!

(The power of rational discussion....)