Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

WARNING BRISTOL CAR JACKERS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 10:08 PM
bristolscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry WARNING BRISTOL CAR JACKERS!!!

This is especially for the women Subaru owners. My woman was nearly a victim of a car jack if it wasnt for the fact that she locks the doors when she gets in the car. There is someone pretending to be a police officer pulling Subarus over. The police have taken it seriously! We been told if an 'unmarked' car pulls you over ask for ID and if that fails you have every right to ring 999 so they can verify it.

The guy must have been watching her as he told her about a flickering side light which I fixed about a week ago. So if you see a black people carrier with blue lights on the bonnet pulling anyone over then be suspicious as the guy is more than likely NOT a police officer. I know a women who got car jacked a few weeks ago for her Subaru.

I will now always LOCK MY DOORS. This happened by Feeder Road so lets all keep an eye out and be careful.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:12 AM
MonkiP1
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the heads up, I also live around that area.

Old 05 February 2008, 08:59 AM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

cheers for that il keep an eye out for it
Old 05 February 2008, 10:09 AM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

cheers for the heads up mate. down in yeovil but the bast ards can always travel
Old 05 February 2008, 04:50 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

If you have a Thatcham alarm like the standard on on my MY05 WRX then you can use the code panel (in cubby hole - lower right of the steering wheel) to set the doors locks to auto lock when you switch the ignition on. They they open when you switch off (or you can manually unlock!). Had this set since day one of ownership.
Old 05 February 2008, 05:07 PM
Bigandy
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if autolock is on the MY06/07 WRX too?
I know I can always press the button but Auto would be better, for those of us that are absent minded.
Old 05 February 2008, 05:13 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

You also have the autolock thing on the Sigma alarms on UK classics - very handy to set up if your other half is borrowing the car.
Old 05 February 2008, 06:08 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bigandy
I know I can always press the button but Auto would be better, for those of us that are absent minded.

i think they can all be set to do it.

have a read through the hanbook there is a code you can enter in key pad to set it up
Old 05 February 2008, 07:53 PM
bristolscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bigandy
there is auto lock on all new scoobys mate
but the bad side is there is no panic alarm which i think subaru should do coz other car manufac. do
Old 05 February 2008, 07:59 PM
CRAFTY CARPER
Scooby Regular

cheers for that.
got to go to bristol tomorrow,

will keep eye out.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:01 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a good alarm,can set all sorts of things on it, autolock being one of them, 95 classic by the way,thing is with that,you have to be very careful,if u leave the car running and get out, say, to pump ya tyres up/defrost the car/get something out the boot etc, you can get locked out !

thats what puts me off using it,theres gonna be a time u leave the car running and get out, say, to check under the bonnet etc
Old 05 February 2008, 08:04 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bristolscooby
but the bad side is there is no panic alarm which i think subaru should do coz other car manufac. do
My standard subaru Alarm (sigma M30) has a panic feature. Just hold the button down for a few seconds and the Alarm sounds.

Last edited by dazdavies; 05 February 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:16 PM
bristolscooby
Scooby Regular

no mine dont mate tryed it. i,ve made up my mind now i'm going to get the car on a tracker i think it would be the best thing to do.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:35 PM
scooby2!
Scooby Regular

I've heard of car jacking problems in Bristol before so am always wary, but thanks for the warning.

I have owned scoobies for 6 years now and have always driven with the doors locked. Some of my friends think I am paranoid but its better to be safe in my book, especially with the kids in the car, and no one's taking my scooby!
Old 05 February 2008, 09:53 PM
Bigandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bristolscooby
So how do I turn it on or off, I know there is a door button to do it but dont have a clue abnout how to do it automatically.
I need to explain, before i get slated and told to RTFM, that I have yet to collect my new motor and as a newbie I am trying to gather as much info as possible while I wait for it.

Andy
Old 06 February 2008, 12:42 AM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the nod mate, Ive had this happen to me befor, wasnt in the scooby thou. the guy just flashed his card at me when stauck at traffic lights, told me pull up round the corner, when he saw my 6ft4" body and very angry face pop out of my R5 turbo, he drove straight past

This was in Bedminster, i told the police but they just took some notes and that was that,

My missis carrys a sort of spray that stays on the aggressor for 7 days as to be ID by the police..... oh and she is a proper bristol girl too, so she packs a punch too..
Old 06 February 2008, 03:17 AM
Bigandy
Scooby Regular

Probably widely available but if anyone wants the Sigma M30 PDF manual let me know and I will send it to them.
Sorry if its old news, it took me a while to find it....
Old 06 February 2008, 08:24 AM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

thanks for that travel on that road every day
Old 07 February 2008, 12:35 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dazdavies
My standard subaru Alarm (sigma M30) has a panic feature. Just hold the button down for a few seconds and the Alarm sounds.

Yep, so does mine! (MY03 STi)

Also got my locks set to lock automatically when the engine starts
Old 07 February 2008, 12:44 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

im glad i have the anti hijack alarm thing on my scoob.it locks the doors automatically a few seconds after i start her up.
Old 07 February 2008, 01:57 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby2!
I have owned scoobies for 6 years now and have always driven with the doors locked. Some of my friends think I am paranoid but its better to be safe in my book, especially with the kids in the car, and no one's taking my scooby!
Exactly the same for me, mate. I lock the doors as soon as I get in, mates think I'm a little nuts (well, they did before the door locking stuff ) but they understand the score since hearing about so many car-jackings etc.
Better to be safe than sorry!
This autolock feature on classics, would it be a standard feature on the UK Turbo 2000 Sigma alarm system (1998)? Haven't got the manual for it, is this the M30 alarm you were talking about or different.

This hijacking malarky is a joke, wouldn't mind having those side mounted flame jets that they have as car anti hijack devices in SA etc. Shame they're not legal here

Cheers,

Tom
Old 07 February 2008, 03:01 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
i have a good alarm,can set all sorts of things on it, autolock being one of them, 95 classic by the way,thing is with that,you have to be very careful,if u leave the car running and get out, say, to pump ya tyres up/defrost the car/get something out the boot etc, you can get locked out !

thats what puts me off using it,theres gonna be a time u leave the car running and get out, say, to check under the bonnet etc
I can only talk for the standard UK alarm in MY05 WRX (but I guess this is the same on all/most newage UK cars) - and you wont get locked out! It locks the doors only if all the doors and boot are closed when you start the engine - if any are open it doesn't lock them and you have to do it manually (it wont do it once you close the open doors). The only way to get out is unlock the doors manually OR turn off the engine. This is really a no-brainer...just use the keypad to set it.

Can't quite remember without looking at the manual but I think you turn the ignition without starting the engine, press the alarm key/fob button, then press hash then 4 and you are done. Something along those lines.
Old 07 February 2008, 06:34 PM
Matt241
Scooby Regular

My 1995 Wrx Wagon has a Toad alarm and this locks automatically.

Matt