Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

What was all that about??

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2005, 04:37 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down What was all that about??

Was driving down the A10 yesterday afternoon, when I seem to have attracted the attention of some guys in a Silver Bug Eye.

I have opted to tell of my story in this section and I am sure (or at the very least hope) that this idiot doesn't have the finess or aptitude to use this bulletin board and therefore wouldn't be in the "Was It You" Section.

Suffice to say that the chap driving seemed to have an issue with me being in front of him as everytime I accelerated mildy away, was trying to get inside the boot of car.

Mines an MY03 STi Type UK with all the prodrive bits on, cant say what he was driving as it was debadged and had all manner of cheap looking plastic addons, but since when did Impreza owners start trying to gee up fellow Impreza drivers by engaging in dangerous driving on the road?

I've been driving several impreza's since 1996 and have never come across this lind of ludicrous behaviour...

The member of Mensa in the car behind, then proceeded to follow me off the A10 onto the A406 and then towards the A12, I'm sure that he drove miles out of his way just so he could overtake me...

Perhaps he has a few mods which give him better performance over the PPP which he wanted to demonstrate?

Whatever he was playing at, I wasn't going to lower myself - as that sort of behaviour should be left for a track day...

Thankfully I shook him off so he could go and annoy someone else perhaps, has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Last edited by Scooby; 10 October 2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10 October 2005, 04:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scooby
Was driving down the A10 yesterday afternoon, when I seem to have attracted the attention of some guys in a Silver Bug Eye.

I have opted to tell of my story in this section and I am sure (or at the very least hope) that this idiot doesn't have the finess or aptitude to use this bulletin board and therefore wouldn't be in the "Was It You" Section.

Suffice to say that the chap driving seemed to have an issue with me being in front of him as everytime I accelerated mildy away, was trying to get inside the boot of car.

Mines an MY03 STi Type UK with all the prodrive bits on, cant say what he was driving as it was debadged and had all manner of cheap looking plastic addons, but since when did Impreza owners start trying to gee up fellow Impreza drivers by engaging in dangerous driving on the road?

I've been driving several impreza's since 1996 and have never come across this lind of ludicrous behaviour...

The member of Mensa in the car behind, then proceeded to follow me off the A10 onto the A406 and then towards the A12, I'm sure that he drove miles out of his way just so he could overtake me...

Perhaps he has a few mods which give him better performance over the PPP which he wanted to demonstrate?

Whatever he was playing at, I wasn't going to lower myself - as that sort of behaviour should be left for a track day...

Thankfully I shook him off so he could go and annoy someone else perhaps, has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Not with a Scooby, but had a mkIV Golf GTi behind me shortly after getting the car with one of the "scoobies aren't that fast" brigade behind the wheel. Tailgating like a good un and initiating and then quickly aborting overtaking attempts as there was insufficient visibility. I wasn't about to put my foot down in a 30 zone despite the provocation.

Got a to a National speed limit sign, gave it a bit of gas in 3rd, just to get him off my bumper. Golf fell back a lot and I was hoping he'd got the message. I backed off and took a corner at a normal speed.... heard a screech, looked in the rear view mirror, Golf had understeered his way to the other side of the road having taken the corner far too quickly trying to catch up.... if there had been a car coming the other way....... I just pulled over and let him pass. I don't want anyone else hurting themselves or -god forbid- anyone else just to try and prove something to themselves by taking on a classic Scooby.

NS04
Old 10 October 2005, 05:04 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes I've experianced this once when driving in Oldham looking for a turn off to look for a house. Mine is a 05 WRX with Scooby Sport as only visable mod, Young a5ian chap in a rather old (T reg I think) and very sorry looking silver classic (not STI) (have nothing against classic had a MY00 myself a few years ago), decided that I should race him in a 40 mph area. He came close to hitting the back of my car twice, he was that close. Plulled up at the traffic light and asked what his problems was, got the reply "that what sabaroos are for". Asked him how he could see over the bonnet as he was about 4 foot tall and his seat seamed to be driving lying down. Told him that if I ever saw him again I would shove my six D cell maglite where the sun does not shine. He then decide to jump the red lights, causing a bus to swere and acclerate down the road, missed his braking point for a junction and clipped the kerb on the wrong side of the road whilst turning left !
Richard
Old 10 October 2005, 05:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Yes I've experianced this once when driving in Oldham looking for a turn off to look for a house. Mine is a 05 WRX with Scooby Sport as only visable mod, Young a5ian chap in a rather old (T reg I think) and very sorry looking silver classic (not STI) (have nothing against classic had a MY00 myself a few years ago), Richard
Not surprised it was sorry looking with him behind the wheel! What a tosser! Sad waste of a good car when you consider that a well looked after T reg can still more or less look like its just left a showroom. I know, I've got one.

Fortunately, I've had nothing but courteous behaviour from other Scoobies so far. There aren't many young i.e. under 25 owners around my way it seems.

NS04
Old 10 October 2005, 07:01 PM
twybrow
Scooby Regular

It is not fair to link under 25's with this behaviour. Any one can drive like an ****. Clearly, young ppl generally have more to prove behind the wheel, but not all of us are irresponsible idiots. I'm 24 and i drive my Scoob courteously and in what i believe is a safe manner. You can drive like a prat in a 1.0l micra, it is simply that the scoob will allow you to drive harder and faster without much driver input.

Anyone who drives as described in the posts above, deserves to not only have their scoob taken from them and handed to a responsible driver, but also they deserve plenty of points on their license! Why cant it be these drivers who blow up their engine!? That would slow 'em down!
Old 10 October 2005, 08:23 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Hand some idiot try and kill himself, me and the occupants of an on-comming taxi just to prove that Scoobys are not the fastest thing on the road. Was on the Snake over Glossop with a fellow driver. We past idoit, in his Volvo S40, easily on the way upto the Snake and got slowed going down the other side due to traffic.

He barged past my mate behind as I overtook the slower car in front and pulled away. I saw him overtake the slower car and close on me as I slowed for a totally blind right hander (with dual white all the way around) only to suddenly realise that he was going for me as well!!!!

Anyway, I saw the taxi first as I had the better visibility and realised that he had no where to go so I jumped on the brakes. He swing his car into my lane just missing me and the taxi and nearly lost it up the bank as it fishtailed down the road. He must of kept his foot down as it strightened and he was off.

I stopped at the next laybye and still find it hard to believe he would overtake on a totally blind corner to prove a point!
Old 10 October 2005, 08:32 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Had the same on my way to a Surreyscoobies meet, there was me and two other scoobs when on a blind corner a diesel focus decides to over take us all, how the lorry coming the otherway didnt hit him i dont know
Old 10 October 2005, 09:12 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

As the value of the older models drop to VERY affordable amounts, more and more idiots are sadly getting their hands on them.

These situations seem to be mentioned on here on a daily basis at the moment. You've just got to rise above it (which everyone in this thread has done incidently).
Old 10 October 2005, 09:56 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

You get idiots of every age, in every car being chumps, its just the way it is, just pull over let them overtake and carry on being morans , then carry on driving how you want to
Old 10 October 2005, 10:44 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i normally just slow right down to **** em right off.
although i only seem to attract tossers in golfs tbh
Old 10 October 2005, 10:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that only young people drive like idiots, cause that's certainly not the case. It just so happens that I've only come across considerate scooby drivers around my way and they all just happen to be more mature in age.

NS04
Old 10 October 2005, 11:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by trackman
As the value of the older models drop to VERY affordable amounts, more and more idiots are sadly getting their hands on them.

These situations seem to be mentioned on here on a daily basis at the moment. You've just got to rise above it (which everyone in this thread has done incidently).
Interesting that people picked up on the age issue and missed the even more un-pc association between socio-economic status and irresponsible driving. I guess people don't mind being young, but no-one wants to admit being poor, even scoobies will do that to you

For the record, I think that plonkers are probably better represented in the young and relative low income brackets than anywhere else, but it's by no means a hard and fast rule! I know some middle aged peeps with some very tasty cars who -quite frankly- I wouldn't trust in a 20 year old 950cc Fiesta!!
Old 11 October 2005, 03:54 PM
ChrisC
Scooby Regular

Cool Ah I remember it well

I am reminded by this post why I've moved to a Forester S T/b.
It's the idea that they - the twerp - can tell their mates how they did for a Scooby (or a newer one than theirs) and if necessary half the human race to prove this point.
They don't recognise us so no hassle - just surprise at the performance.