Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Hello all, is there a 'spotted' topic?...I raced an sti

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2005, 10:05 AM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hello all, is there a 'spotted' topic?...I raced an sti

And wanted to say hello to the driver (he had a scoobynet sticker on the rear window, said he'd just got the car) who was up for some fun last night on the A627....great fun that was. Nice car too...First decent race I've had since I got my car (not a scooby) back from Thor. What's the spec on the 2004? JDM STI...

Anyway here's what happened, the owner might want to add a few bits I'm sure

Not driven the MR2 in over 3 weeks...so took it out last night for a quick spin. Was driving up a local road in north manchester called broadway (a627) great road for driving along at speeds.
Got about half way up waiting for the oil temp to rise and a new 2005? silver JDM STI Impreza joined the traffic infront of me...I waved, they all turned and waved (4 in the car all mid 20s like...cough...myself) so I knew I was in for a bit of fun.
He floored it and I just stayed on his bumper...both waiting for traffic to clear further up on the bend to open it up. Still on his bumper the traffic pulled out of the way and we both floored it...I just stayed on his bumper, backing off to avoid a collision. Took the bend then saw a spot on the inside and pulled out in 5th and went past, pulled infront and floored it and left a fair gap between us. Then came the big roundabout where the A627 joins the M62...I signalled I was going to go back the way I'd come if he wanted to follow...he looked really enthusiastic...sorted. Lights went green both went for it again (him behind) I bounced off the limiter in 1st and had made around 1 cars distance...up to 2nd about 3 cars away....traffic lights still on the roundabout...Same again, he didn't gain anything on the bend and 2 stayed glued to the road all the way round. Next set of lights on the roundabout before the return open stretch...sat side by side.
Everyone in his car were all loving the fun, the guy in the back telling me how fast my car was...which is nice. Lights went green...1st 1car, 2nd 3-4cars, 3rd 10-12cars? 4th and 5th I was away...great fun. I pulled over on the motorway to say hello as he drove past...we sat side by side, his car was stock...nice car too...front passenger asked me to pull infront, so in 5th we raced and I pulled infront straight away then slowed again to say goodbye and let him come off at the junction.

Then coming back down broadway, a UK 2003 STI sat infront of me at the lights, I nodded...he looked in the rear view and nodded...he set off slowly from the lights then floored it, I pulled up and left him standing...next set of lights he looked across (not as impressed) and nodded...green lights...bye bye.

First proper bit of fun since I got it back from Rogue and Thor...AVC-R told me I hit 1.58bar at 7431rpm with 100% throttle...nice.

It's so nice to guage my car against another fast jap marque, and then against the UK version to see the big (big) difference..well impressed with the guys in the first STI...need more car enthusiasts like that on the road...even if you lose, it's the taking part and fun you have that counts, plus it gave him an idea of how fast his car was I expect .

I assumed that subaru owners would have similar attitudes to lancer (my car is the greatest thing on earth, all the magazines say so, so it must be true...) owners (or the vast majority of them)...but I've been proven wrong.
Old 08 June 2005, 10:13 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Try the Was It You section.
Old 08 June 2005, 10:18 AM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Try the Was It You section.
Ah crap...never was too good at reading sorry!
Old 08 June 2005, 10:42 AM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

Imagine the additional pasting you would have given the Impreza if you had an MR2 Turbo (they are freaking quick!)
Old 08 June 2005, 10:42 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nightSpirit
Then coming back down broadway, a UK 2003 STI sat infront of me at the lights, I nodded...he looked in the rear view and nodded...he set off slowly from the lights then floored it, I pulled up and left him standing...next set of lights he looked across (not as impressed) and nodded...green lights...bye bye.
Left him standing..? You were obviously 'Too Fast Too Furious' for him.

I have a mildly modified MR2 Turbo at home, which although sick at the moment, could give most STi's a run for their money. I've even out-run a few but never "left them standing" so Patrick and Thor have obviously devised something special for you. Important to remember that Impreza's suffer more power loss thru all-wheel drive compared to the '2 which is just RWD... and the '2 probably has the edge on aerodynamics.

Sounds like it was all fun though, which is the important thing like you say.

Jonts.
Old 08 June 2005, 10:54 AM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonty
Left him standing..? You were obviously 'Too Fast Too Furious' for him.

I have a mildly modified MR2 Turbo at home, which although sick at the moment, could give most STi's a run for their money. I've even out-run a few but never "left them standing" so Patrick and Thor have obviously devised something special for you. Important to remember that Impreza's suffer more power loss thru all-wheel drive compared to the '2 which is just RWD... and the '2 probably has the edge on aerodynamics.

Sounds like it was all fun though, which is the important thing like you say.

Jonts.
It was all fun and there seems to be less of that these days...I remember back when my mr2 was stock I raced what I thought was an exige on the way to JAE...turned out to be an Ultima GTR...no wonder I didn't win that one

What's wrong with your 2? and have you got a scooby aswell?. Yeah Patrick and Thor stuck all the bits I bought from Japan on my car for me and mumbled something about me killing myself and 448hp...that was a good day.
Old 08 June 2005, 11:04 AM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

why dont you take your car on to a track and race it legally instead of endangering other road users, i mean im sure you are SUCH a good driver and you have SUCH a good car but all it takes is a little mistake and your ploughing into the people carrier full of kids. be careful!!
Old 08 June 2005, 11:13 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

It was all fun and there seems to be less of that these days
Indeed. Whatever the occassion, if there's been some spirited driving and some fellow participation then I always acknowledge with a thumbs up. It's just a shame that too many people get the hump, generally followed by doing something stupid to prove a point so they can go home happier.

What's wrong with your 2? and have you got a scooby aswell?
I've got a 1993 Rev2 and it's currently suffering from an overheating issue. Mr T is holding onto a new rad cap for me at the moment which I'm hoping will be the cure. Things like compression and what's being spat out of the exhaust seem fine, so it could just be something simple. I hope.

Also have an Impreza too -- a UK Turbo to accompany the wife's WRX. Although I love MR2's I just wanted something a bit more practical. No fancy mods and it will probably remain fairly standard too. Comparing the 2 cars they're like chalk and cheese. Pocket rocket versus king of the twisties. Although it's less powerful, my fave is now the Scooby.

Jonts.
Old 08 June 2005, 11:18 AM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by furrydice79
why dont you take your car on to a track and race it legally instead of endangering other road users, i mean im sure you are SUCH a good driver and you have SUCH a good car but all it takes is a little mistake and your ploughing into the people carrier full of kids. be careful!!
Point taken mate, not very responsible of me I know...believe it or not, I'm not a 'fast and furious' irresponsible person, I spend most of my time doing 30 in my fiesta runabout. I'm not a bad driver and although my car is setup well, it isn't beyond loss of control, I was racing in light traffic, on clear straight roads, in non-rush hour traffic with perfect vision...I wouldn't do it late at night, in busy traffic, built up areas etc. Besides my cars that low if I did hit that people carrier full of kids they'd think they'd gone over a speed hump lol.
Old 08 June 2005, 11:23 AM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonty
Indeed. Whatever the occassion, if there's been some spirited driving and some fellow participation then I always acknowledge with a thumbs up. It's just a shame that too many people get the hump, generally followed by doing something stupid to prove a point so they can go home happier.
Too true mate, I always nod and wave, compliment another car because I'm a driving/car enthusiast...the people who get the hump are the ones that have something to prove/something to make up for..whatever that may be.

I have a trust rad cap for a rev3 turbo if that's any use? you can have it for a tenner if it'll work!
Old 08 June 2005, 11:36 AM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

Point taken mate, not very responsible of me I know...believe it or not, I'm not a 'fast and furious' irresponsible person, I spend most of my time doing 30 in my fiesta runabout. I'm not a bad driver and although my car is setup well, it isn't beyond loss of control, I was racing in light traffic, on clear straight roads, in non-rush hour traffic with perfect vision...I wouldn't do it late at night, in busy traffic, built up areas etc. Besides my cars that low if I did hit that people carrier full of kids they'd think they'd gone over a speed hump lol.
fair enough mate..
Old 08 June 2005, 01:51 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

I have a trust rad cap for a rev3 turbo if that's any use? you can have it for a tenner if it'll work!
Many thanks for the offer but I'm going to settle for a new standard one, which will pressurise the system to a safe 0.9 bar. I've got a TRD cap at home but haven't (and won't) use it because it's 1.5 bar and not ideal if I'm in the middle of investigating an overheating issue. Fingers crossed it's just the existing cap that's failed.

Jonts.

PS: Does Dino know about your MR2..? Sounds very impressive.
Old 08 June 2005, 02:33 PM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

No worries mate,

Dino doesn't know about my MR2 no...would he want to?
Old 08 June 2005, 07:15 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i'm sorry to say this but you sound slow,
the guy has a packed car of people,
and still with ya??
Old 08 June 2005, 08:08 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

not very responsible of me
Very true!

I'm not a bad driver.........
Normally the ones I end up washing off the road matey
Old 08 June 2005, 09:25 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Of course, had it have been my Impreza you raced, your gob would have been in your lap and I would have won by miles before you picked your jaw up from your floorpan LOL

No, not coz I'm quick - coz I'm jawdropping lol lol
Old 09 June 2005, 12:20 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

is that jawdroppingly ugly or jawdropinglyy fit !!!!
Old 09 June 2005, 12:26 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cong
is that jawdroppingly ugly or jawdropinglyy fit !!!!
fugly
Old 09 June 2005, 01:01 AM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

No offence but...4 passengers in the impreza! He lost cuz he was with all that extra weight!
Old 09 June 2005, 01:05 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

You're so right! I only have to add my hubby to complain about the ****ty launch I get
Old 09 June 2005, 01:05 AM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

FPMSL@ this thread
Old 09 June 2005, 01:08 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Being that this thread covered many corners and crevices scoobychrissy, what made you **** you pants?
Old 09 June 2005, 06:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so the MR2 is faster than an Impreza... I feel let down
Old 09 June 2005, 06:36 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just done some research and found the Mr2 even the new one is about 3 second slower 0-60

You must have excellent mods, shame I can't even afford a turbo impreza
Old 09 June 2005, 08:24 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

My WRX beat an F40 once... We are talking radio controlled cars arent we??? Well arent we?
Old 09 June 2005, 09:29 AM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

lmao...quality

Hey I never said the silver STI (I take it he isn't on here?) stayed with me...by 4th I could barely see the guy

MR2s in standard trim aren't as fast as the WRX...the later spec ones should keep up though, sure I've seen a jap video of a rev3 MR2 against a WRX and the MR2 wins on the 1/4 mile (both stock). Don't get me started on the new MRS...terrible car imho, Subaru keep making nutter cars and Toyota scrap the 3 best motors they made (starlet turbo, MR2 turbo and Supra TT).

I've attached a spec list of my car, I've not done a great deal to it....lol. I'm not knocking the STI btw..or gloating...it stands to reason I'd have beaten it, I just wanted to say hello to the owner..seemed like a top bloke!

Maybe I'll catch a few of you at the Pod or something at some point this year?.

I've never seen an F40 RC car...that would be quality

JE 8.5:1 0.20 overbore forged pistons
Balanced crankshaft
Balanced rods
Balanced pistons
2048cc overbored block
HKS 1mm head gasket
ARP main bolts
ARP head studs
Gas flowed, ported and polished head
HKS valve springs
Custom oversized throttle pipe
Greddy catchcan running K&N race filter
HKS 264 duration cams (in and out)
HKS Duralumin cam pulleys
Power Enteprise 255ltr/hr fuel pump
Custom fuel rail
Power Enteprise 800cc injectors
New shims
New sump

TRD triple paddle copper clutch
SPEC 9lb flywheel
1995 OEM gearbox

Magnecor 8.5mm leads
Apex-i Power FC with H/C
Denso iridium plugs

Blitz SUS filter
Blitz NurSpec R exhaust
Greddy intercooler
190mm SPAL pull type fan
Custom steel 30mm intercooler fan shroud
Trust T67-25G Turbo
Greddy Type R wastegate
Greddy downpipe
Greddy tubular manifold
Greddy intake pipe
G-REX oil cooler kit
Heat shielded intake piping
Revision 6 deluxe fan kit
HKS SSQV

Apex-i AVC-R running .7bar, 1.2bar and 1.65bar

Trust -40mm springs
Rev2+ upgrade allroundFull Border bodykit with carbon duct covers
OEM 1995 clear side lights and repeaters
Tom's air intake scoop (removed)
OEM 1995 rear lights (delocked)
Phoenix's Power SPL spoiler
Colour coded side stripsG-rex shift ****
Nardi Turismo steering wheel
Blitz dual turbo timer/boost gauge
HKS sure starter kit
Defi 60mm EGT
Defi 60mm oil temp
Defi 60mm boost (HKS steering mount)
Trust twin pod A-pillar mount
Defi Link 2 control unit
Old 09 June 2005, 10:06 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

MR2s in standard trim aren't as fast as the WRX...the later spec ones should keep up though, sure I've seen a jap video of a rev3 MR2 against a WRX and the MR2 wins on the 1/4 mile (both stock).
When you say 'WRX', are you referring to the UK flavour (215-225 bhp) or the JDM one which is typically c270 bhp..? Given varying circumstances like additional weight, launch success, and stuff like that, I'd be inclined to think that it's pot-luck whether a UK WRX, early MR2 Turbo (220 bhp), or a later one (240 bhp) would be victorious after a short sprint.

To make life even more confusing, I think the early JDM WRX models weren't quite so powerful (c240-250 bhp) so a Rev3 MR2 (240 bhp) versus a WRX with similar output falls straight into the diff loss argument.

Jonts.
c260 bhp MR2 Turbo and an ickle Impreza Turbo
Old 09 June 2005, 10:38 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

WHO CARES!!!! I think he was mainly pointing out that he actually had fun and some acknowledgment from the Scooby driver, which is good!! Right????
As long as the fun doesnt kill anyone that is
My car is faster than you car stuff is for the playground
Old 09 June 2005, 11:05 AM
nightSpirit
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by LIDDO
WHO CARES!!!! I think he was mainly pointing out that he actually had fun and some acknowledgment from the Scooby driver, which is good!! Right????
As long as the fun doesnt kill anyone that is
My car is faster than you car stuff is for the playground
exactly...I love cars and driving..so that includes all cars...Scooby owner was loving it and that's what I enjoyed more than anything.

Whether I win or lose (and I don't often lose these days...if I do I usually pull the owner over and have a good chat) I just enjoy the like minded petrol head fun, aslong as nothing stupid goes on to prove a point.
Old 09 June 2005, 11:16 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

if I do I usually pull the owner over and have a good chat
Whilst also flashing blue lights and asking, "Excuse me Sir, do you have any idea of the speeds you were doing back there..?"

Jonts.

Quick Reply: Hello all, is there a 'spotted' topic?...I raced an sti