Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Important - Posting of Registration Numbers and Parked Locations...

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2001, 10:47 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

There have been an increased number of number plates and regular locations posted just lately. I'm not sure if this is due to an increased number of newbies, but can everyone please comply with the following (if only to make my life easier ).

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> No posting of full registration numbers. Always *** out part of the number plate to protect the spotted driver.
<LI> You can post pictures too (if you're quick enough with the camera ) but again, no numbers to be shown.
<LI> No posting of locations where cars are parked on a regular basis. E.G. Cars parked during the day in railway car parks, work places etc. I'm sure no one want's the whereabouts of their unattended pride and joy published for all to see. I'll me editing any posts with this info as it's potentially the greatest risk.
<LI> Finally, please don't post more information about a cars identity then you would want to see about your own.
</UL>

Cheers
<B>N</B><I>i</I><B>m</B><I>B</I><B>u<I>S</B></I>

Old 03 July 2001, 12:19 AM
bob
Scooby Regular

What is wrong with posting pic’s with reg numbers. Some people pay a small fortune for a reg number and now they are not permitted to show it. I have been on this board since November 1998 and have not hid my reg numbers and did not know it was not permitted. What is the point in hiding your reg on this board then driving around the street and going to meets and track where none computer owners can also take your number. Bit like train spotting in'it.
Old 03 July 2001, 12:33 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Bob,

I've no problem with posting your own number plate in full. I don't want people to post the full reg of another car they have spotted...

Cheers
Old 03 July 2001, 11:12 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Top...
Old 03 July 2001, 01:18 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bob:
<B>What is wrong with posting pic’s with reg numbers. Some people pay a small fortune for a reg number and now they are not permitted to show it. I have been on this board since November 1998 and have not hid my reg numbers and did not know it was not permitted. What is the point in hiding your reg on this board then driving around the street and going to meets and track where none computer owners can also take your number. Bit like train spotting in'it. [/quote]

Old 10 July 2001, 12:54 AM
Si James
Scooby Regular

It's so the tea leaves can't nick your motor squire.

Would you advertise the fact that you
had several old masters in your garage
in your local rag. of course not. They would be half-inched in a jiffy.
Old 11 July 2001, 07:22 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Another scary facet of posting reg'os...

A stolen scooby of the same colour can be fitted with your plate.. any PNC checks, gatso's etc will come to you.... and then it's up to you to prove you WERE'NT there!

scaryly common this... just ask my mate Stu who spent 30 HOURS!!!! in custody after an armed robbery was performed in an identical Astra to his... with his plates on.. Not funny. He had nobody to place him anywhere else... It got to the point where they actually arrested him on suspicion!!!!. Luckily in the end they were able to get him on a CCTV camera too far away from the scene at the time of the offence. But he hasn't been the same since!!

Please be careful guys.... lots of nicked scoobs out there want your clean identity.

Cheers

Paul
TSL Motorsport
Old 12 July 2001, 12:21 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

As if further reinforcement were needed...

A mate of mine had his plate copied by someone who replied to his ad in the Auto Trader (who obviously didn't buy the car). A similar stolen car (Nissan 200SX) with copies of his plates were used in an armed robbery. Armed Police came racing round to (and terrified) his Mum 'cos that's where his car was registered.
Old 12 July 2001, 09:54 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Trouser (nice ID ).

Good point mate. A lot of people can not understand why this should be against the rules. I think your story demonstrates this quite well...

Cheers

Old 20 July 2001, 09:50 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've said this many times, but for the benefit of any newbies. <B>No Posting Of Full Number Plates</B>. No matter what the reason it's against the house rules.

Cheers

Old 20 July 2001, 10:25 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nimbus

You have my full support on this M8. As an idea why not leave a 'Permanent Reminder' under the main 'Was it You' heading on the BBS homepage and get rid of the ...popular demand bit.

Just a thought.

Cheers

TONY
Old 22 July 2001, 10:16 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Add this note to the sign up page, all new members will then have to see it. If it is there then make it bigger as I do not recall seeing it when I signed up.

We don't want anymore storeys like the ones above.

RJP
Old 23 July 2001, 10:31 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your support guys,

We are working on a way for the Rules to be more visible. It may not be implimented on the first release of the new BBS software, but should be setup later.

Nexuas,

Good suggestion. I'll see if this is a possibilty.

Cheers

Old 23 July 2001, 01:28 PM
Tigger
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Totally Aggree- I wouldn't be too pleased if someone posted my reg on the web!

It just makes sense.
Old 23 July 2001, 10:57 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I've never heard so much cobblers in my life. I have been to tons of meets and should have taken the reg numbers of the cars there. I could then try to sell them to the local crims. I have mixed and served time with crims that nick cars to order, sale, strip, ring etc. I do not know or have never known anyone to look through car web pages to get reg No’s. But watch out I now have tons of them.
Old 24 July 2001, 08:10 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow

Er Bob, are you sure you're not getting Nexuas [newbie] & Nimbus [moderator] mixed up?
Old 24 July 2001, 10:00 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bob, I'm not going to have a debate about this. <B>No full number plates to be posted</B>. Whatever your views on the subject, this is the rule of the forum. Whether you agree to them being displayed or not is immaterial. No one else seems to have a problem...

Scoobynet Moderator
Old 24 July 2001, 12:05 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Angry

OK, it is going to still happen reguardless. But we can try and stop it, or at least remove one possible source of this kind of information.

Bob maybe the crim's you mix with do not think to look on the web, but lets not advertise to those that do.

It is site rules abide by them or leave.

RJP
Old 24 July 2001, 12:37 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nexuas:
<B>

It is site rules abide by them or leave.

RJP[/quote]

I don't know, you sound just like my boss. "if you don't like it leave." I have been on this list for years, then someone come on for five mins and wants to kick me off.
Well its goodbye then, I will keep off "YOUR" "was it you" forum.
[Bob walks off chatting to himself]
What a load of b*ll*cks. Bet he was a monitor at school.
[/Bob walks off]