Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Got beat by an Astra?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 01:23 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

MikeWarner

You don't know of a RS1600i (red Y or A reg) around the area? This car has some serious mods.

I only just managed to keep up with it on the straight a few months ago on the A24. My MY99 standardd scoob was made to look quite ordinary by this 'Scort' :-(

.... but on the roundabouts ... we all know whos boss :-)

PS. Just seen your from Chichester, so you'll probably not know the answer. I'll keep an eye open for you as I'm around the Chichester area quite a bit.

J.

[Edited by fdpxfunix - 8/1/2002 1:25:20 PM]
Old 08 February 2002, 08:28 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Glad to see you have done it right Mike and uprated stuff along with the power, I bet theres more than a few that dont.

I am sure Mike if you had an impreza it probably wouldnt stay standard . Given enough time and money you can make a vauxhall run with anything. Just go and buy a Vauxhall BTCC car pretty quick by all accounts .

Personally it doesnt bother me if someone has a reliant robin thats quicker than my scoob (BTW didnt someone put a rover V8 in one once ) its how much time, money and effort you want to spend sorting it. I personally gave up tinkering and just want something quick out the box with a few bolt on accessories to make it sound and look nice and stop .

Each to their own though and happy modding

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 8/2/2002 8:29:56 PM]
Old 31 July 2002, 09:56 PM
MikeWarner
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Not sure of the road name but it was from Crawley to Horsham. You tried it on twice and lost ........ twice.

I didn't really get a look at the back end of your car so could you let me know your spec? - because it sure as hell wasn't a standard UK spec. My mate (who was in another car) thinks he saw a WRX badge and STI stickers.... was it you?

Oh - my Astra isn't standard BTW, so don't feel too bad.
Old 31 July 2002, 11:19 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

lol, you must feel very proud, I now have even more respect for Astra drivers
Old 31 July 2002, 11:32 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well done!

Might be easier to identify if you knew the road, time and place, and a little more about the car! Or wasn't your dream that clear?
Old 01 August 2002, 12:21 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

There are some big power Astras out there. If it is a Courtney T then it could be pushing 350BHP. Front wheel drive, low transmission loss through a 6spd, I believe the Scoob was beaten.

P.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:21 AM
MikeWarner
Scooby Newbie

Dream - Well I beat a P1 too - but that was a while ago. 230bhp in a light car, non turbo (good power band) FWD (small power loss) does make one hell of a fast car.

Anyway, just hoping the guy was here to let me know the spec - I was only just leaving him - no offence, but I eat standard Scoobies. I think it was the A23 - The Scooby was either dark blue or green.
Old 01 August 2002, 06:56 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

How on earth do you manage another 80 horse power from the standard engine?
Old 01 August 2002, 09:58 AM
DowdingS
Scooby Regular

I know Mike Warner and his car.
It is not a car to be messed with, about 230bhp from a 2litre XE with throttle bodies, very very quick.
It is far from a standard engine.

Regards
Steve
Old 01 August 2002, 06:14 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

Astras....lol
Old 02 August 2002, 07:55 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Like the above......

At the end of the day it's still only an astra
Old 02 August 2002, 09:06 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

At the risk of a flaming here, why is it that when anyone driving a scooby comes on here saying they beat a porsche, ferarri etc that everyone raves and says how great scooby's are.

But when someone dares to come on and say they beat a Scoob in something deemed as a lesser vehicle, the get ribbed with comments like its only an Astra or ah yeah wait until the roundabouts.

Don't get me wrong i love my scoob but there are better/faster cars out there, and its about time people started giving respect where its due.

Ali
Old 02 August 2002, 12:58 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

If one is following me in close proximity then I hope they have upgraded the brakes as well as the engine .
Old 02 August 2002, 01:21 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm still a little mystified as to how even a nicely modded astra can "beat" something that "sure as hell wasn't a standard UK spec" Impreza. Out of interest what made u think it wasn't standard UK spec? Was it just the stickers? A grey WRX or STi is gonna be putting out anywhere between 240 - 276 bhp min.

Not flaming but just interested in case I ever meet this astra between Crawley and Horsham
Old 02 August 2002, 01:51 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

There is a white Astra in Bracknell badged as a GTE that I had trouble with, beat him once we got on the A329M but it was a fast car the only downside was the driver was a real WA***R and a dangerous WA***R at that.
Old 02 August 2002, 02:06 PM
SDUKES
Scooby Regular

badge should say ASHTRAY rather than ASTRA!
Old 02 August 2002, 04:30 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Astra = Vauxhall, I dont give a monkies if it is faster than my STi, post that crap on the Vauxhall forums, I'm sure you'll be seen as a hero.
Old 02 August 2002, 04:30 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

BTW, ****.
Old 02 August 2002, 05:12 PM
MikeWarner
Scooby Newbie

Cheers to those who responded with some faith in what I said.

I do realise that if a roundabout was involved it would have been a different story. TBH - even if a roundabout was involved - I would most likely not have raced because although racing on public roads is always going to be dangerous, I will only do it on a dual carriageway when the road is fairly clear and straight.

fdpxfunix - I don't know the RS1600i but I would not have thought it would give you any trouble unless it had a different engine put in, most likely a modified RST or Cossie lump.

I liked the "it's only an Astra" comment - well I do have full leather, good sounds, ABS, PAS, Electric windows / sunroof / mirrors.... If you take the performance out of a Scooby there isn't much left to rave about either.

chrisp - the Scooby was following me and yes - my car has upgraded brakes, suspension, bushes, PZero tyres.... etc.

555 Markus - I said in a previous post why I don't think it was standard - because I leave standard ones very easily. That is why I posted here - an attempt to find out the spec of the car.

I'm not usually in Crawley - I live in Chichester and drive between Southampton and Brighton regularly. I see many Scoobies everyday to and from Brighton but they are always going the other way (also see an Evo6 everyday going the other way).

My car looks fairly standard, has 16s, lowered, bonnet louvres and is red. Because of this standard look it surprises a few people even more so. It has had three magazine features so it is a properly done car though.....

Weather permitting I'm off to SantaPod on Sunday. I'm sure my times won't impress you guys that much, but them I am FWD! - should be high 13s though.

Anyway - I guess I'll never find out the spec of that Scooby - Oh well, it was worth a try.

P.S - Big Goon, what's your problem, I though Scoobies were driven by Grown-ups. How would I find the driver by posting on a Vauxhall forum? I never said ner ner ni ner ner did I?
Old 02 August 2002, 05:16 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Smile

The RS1600i was very modded.

Huge bangs from the exhaust and flames that Burger King would be proud of :-)

J.
Old 02 August 2002, 06:50 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

I always wanted an RS1600i...they have nicer seats than the Scoob
Old 02 August 2002, 09:30 PM
titmarsh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

chi has got to be one of the best areas in england to spot decent motors.something to do with all the OAPs,most people wouldnt belive me when i say i spotted 9 matizs in ONE day,yes 9
Old 03 August 2002, 06:14 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

"If you take the performance out of a Scooby there isn't much left to rave about either." ??????? what?

I think there is, have you ever considered built quality, reliability, residuals, image etc etc I could go on.

Old 04 August 2002, 09:30 PM
VinnyP!
Scooby Regular

Wink

235 from an XE lump without forced induction?? Wow must be some mods, throwing serious cash at them (as in Caterhams, nutty Novas) only usually yields at most about 210. As for a 13 sec 1/4 wow. V impressive for a front drive. This lump in a stripped out Nova with over 25K spent on mods and a gearbox redlining at 115 in 5th just about manages sub 6 seconds to 60!

Cheers

Vince
Old 13 August 2002, 05:03 PM
MikeWarner
Scooby Newbie

230bhp is as far as you can push the C20XE engine without it becomming too hard to drive everyday. You would be surprised how mild mannered it is.

I didn't go to SantaPod in the end - I needed to prepare my car on the Saturday but it didn't stop raining and the forecast for Sunday was bad anyway.

I got a 14.17 over 2 years ago with a lower spec. This year I got a 14.18 with crap tyres and shafted gear linkage (missed 2nd 3 out of 5 runs. The runs I did get the gear it was extremely slow). All sorted now, and with even more power.

Quick spec is: Overbored to 2092cc with Omega race pistons, SBD cams, V-Tuning head, SBD 48mm throttle bodies, MBE ECU, BTB manifold with 2.5" system. Obviously everything is uprated, flowed, balanced and lightened. It rr'ed at 226bhp but the power graph was still climbing when the tester lifted off at 7000rpm - peak power is at over 7250rpm! I project 230bhp - especially now as a few more horses have been squeezed out. Torque is at about 190ft/lb.
Old 13 August 2002, 06:20 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Oh please.... For the money I spent on the scooby I could have bought an Uno turbo and turned it into a total beast. Whilst I'm sure your astra is a great and fast car lets see you put that power down in the wet (like it is most days in the UK)
Old 13 August 2002, 08:29 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

As previously said, if it aint a scoob you shouldnt waste your time on here cause all people want to hear is how a scoob has beat something, there not interested in other cars!

Rock on planet scoob, oh, shame im selling mine for some serious fun, ie westfield, come on then, "oh but you can only drive them in the dry" "there impractical" bla di bla di blah, who gives a stuff, lifes for enjoying whichever way you go about it!