Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Graphics Cards?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2000, 06:28 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am looking for a decent graphics card and have been told the following:

<I>The utter Dogz thingys in graphics cards at the moment is anything with a GeForce GTS Graphics chip

Highly recommended is the Guillemot 3D Prophet II GTS 32MB - at the princely sum of £240 inc

or there is the Voodoo 4 4500 32MB at £120 inc

or even the Voodoo 5 5500 64MB at 217 inc</I>

Any other recommendations?
Any better prices available?

Mike. &lt;a confirmed non-techie&gt;
Old 05 October 2000, 07:00 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike,
I'm not up to date on the latest cards, but hopefully you'll get a few answers - but before you do, can you note down the spec of your computer, and what port your going to slot the card into (AGP?).

Also, can you specify what you want out of the card - is it for business use, or games?

Try
Old 05 October 2000, 11:28 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Depending on what you've got at the moment any 32Mb graphics card could make a big difference. What are you trying to do ??

ATI are reliable but a little behind the leaders such as Vodoo, Matrox,etc

AllanB
Old 06 October 2000, 05:46 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Can confirm the GeForce (original, DDR) is brilliant, especially with the release of the detonator drivers. Reports/reviews of the GTS show it to be better and I'll get one in Jan sales!

But that's for 3D games - if you're looking for something for 2D business apps then Matrox are the standard, but I don't know the latest models.

Richard
Old 06 October 2000, 10:40 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

The best at the moment is the Geforce GTS. Creative and Elsa are popular - the Elsa seems to be faster. Called the Gladiac.
There is an Geforce Ultra coimng out with 64Mb, but this will be expensive.

I will do you a Creative/Elsa card @ £189.00 inc - as long as you do me a deal on something I may want. That is cost price + 50p
Old 06 October 2000, 12:25 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Just a word a word of advice from my experience...

Graphics cards change very quickly. Paying top dollar for the leading edge card is misguided in my view. There will be little software available that can truly take advantage of it, and in 6 months time it will be old news.

I'm running a geforce (editing to this to clarify: not the GTS version, the original one) at the moment (yesterdays flavour of the month) and it's more than enough for me, most games and graphics intensive apps fly on it. About 100 squids if you shop around, with 32 Meg on it.

For good prices get a copy of MicroMart, for better go to one of the computer shows advertised therein. Most of the companies that advertise in MicroMart will attend their local shows. Curiously you normally save about 17.5%. I have bought loads of stuff this way with no probs. A rule of thumb I apply is that they take credit cars they are normally ok, tho if you pay with cash you can usually haggle. You will get a receipt and warranty.

You get most haggleability by trying to releive them of their stock just before they go home.

Oh and there's usually loads of cheap software at the shows, I don't know how bona fide it is but they don't seem to get raided...

Hope this helps

Simon

[This message has been edited by simes (edited 06 October 2000).]
Old 06 October 2000, 01:01 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

A mate bought an Elsa Erazor X (32Mb (cost £130)) about 6 weeks ago and suffers from motion sickness when using it.

Henceyours for £60 inc P&P.

Let me know if you are interested and I can put you in touch with him.
Old 07 October 2000, 10:09 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for all the input guys, upon technical advice from a close friend, I have taken Robertio (Thanks Robertio) up on his offer.

Motion sickness on order????Regards

Mike. <I>But hopefully not</I>
Old 09 October 2000, 08:29 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Sorry about the delay, have sent you an e-mail with his phone number.

Cheers

Robertio
Old 09 October 2000, 08:14 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

ATI's new one is looking good price is a bit steep at £300 but you do get tv in, tv out and the fastest GPU at the moment

Simon
Old 09 October 2000, 10:34 PM
Steven Coomber
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have just bought a 32MB Geforce 2 MX for £90. An excellent graphics card for the money. It's about the same performance as a Geforce 256 DDR but at half the cost. There is no point in buying the latest card as after 6 months, the same card is available for a much lower cost.

Regards

Steve Coomber

PS. If anyone has any queries regarding computer hardware then send me an e-mail. I used to run a business building, upgrading and repairing PC's.
Old 09 October 2000, 11:11 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Robertio

Got a feeling this is gonna get me chucked into muppet awards but here goes anyway, i get motion sickness from playing quake type game pc or playstation and have invested in some wrist band that press on a certain point and miracles of miracles it seems to work normally i can play theese games for about 5 minutes before puke city, now im good for at least 3-4 hours (get tired afterthat might give red bull a go aswell).

Simon
Old 10 October 2000, 12:50 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Well from my memories of trying those things a few years ago they were no good when travelling in the back of a Mundane-no, so maybe they were designed to work for virtual motion sickness, will suggest them if the same problems are experience with his next graphics card.
Old 10 October 2000, 01:36 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Hi

I use a Voodoo 3 AGP. Pretty much any new card you get these days will be ace.

As someone else said, it depends what you're using it for, i.e. if you're looking to play the latest graphics intensive games youre also going to need a top notch processor, and lots of ram.

I'd personally stick to Voodoo stuff - the new Voodoo 5 is pretty good. I think theyre at