Notices

Sad day today :-(

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2013, 02:54 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad day today :-(

Well after a few months of deliberation and much thought, I have decided to part company with the Impreza and break it. Unfortunately, as with a lot Of the classics out there, it's worth more in Parts than I believe I will get for it as a complete car.
The ever ongoing running costs, and the fact that the rear arches are starting to bubble, and that I only drive the car once in a blue moon, (literally the most it gets driven is on our runs, and probably once every couple of weeks-if that), I cannot justify owning it and spending £1k a year just in insurance and tax, without all the other servicing etc it will require. In the early days some 5 years ago when I bought it, before the mrs came along, I was happy enough to pay the running costs as It was getting used a few times a week, but now with me about to buy a new van for the business, recent purchase of a property, and the fact the mrs has a two year old Vauxhall corsa I can use whenever I want, it's a no brainer.
Plenty of you will know the car, and know that it goes pretty well for an old un, and is pretty well sorted as far as the mechanical side goes, it had a APi recondition wrx engine less than 15k miles ago, along with a brand new simtek ecu which was then mapped at the same time by pat, subsequent oil and filter changes have been completed by my self meticulously every 6k miles since, plugs gearbox and diff Oils etc done periodically as well as plugs. Plenty of nice carbon fibre goodys aswell (front splitter , rear spoiler etc) which should be worth a few quid also.
I need to get my membership paid up again here today, I can then pop a link thread on here detailing all parts for sale.
It's been great being part of the best Scooby club in Wales, and have met some great and helpful people as a result. I won't be going far, will try and pop to the occasional meet And no doubt I will be back one day when I have money to burn!
Cheers guys , in the words of Vinnie Jones in my Fav film "it's been emotional".

Atb Rob

P.s would just like to add that I will give the locals first chance of parts, some of you have my number so give me a tinkle of you know there's something you fancy.
Old 25 January 2013, 03:28 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I can fully understand where you are coming from Rob, sad times indeed.

You have to do what's best for yourself and family, I know it's a hard decision to make as I made it myself and then decided not to sell when the car was 99.99% sold.

When I sold my S202 I did consider moving away from Impreza's but when I test drove my current car I knew that in reality that I was going to get another Impreza. They deliver plenty of performance whilst also being practical for a fast car, and of course when compared to mainstream manufacturers there aren't too many of them on the road.

And I was looking forward to showing you how a 500bhp newage kicks the **** out of a classic as well.
Old 25 January 2013, 05:09 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your kind words Ty, it's been quite an emotional day I'm not gonna lie! There's a slight glimmer in that Since writing this I have been offered an alternative from a very kind Sws member, which Im truly grateful of, but I think it's more than likely still ginna end up in bits unless my numbers come up tomorro night.

Oh and you and your pub talk figures, you know you need that sort of power just to keep up on the straights, and when it comes to the twisties you know full well you won't keep up lol! Be nice to have a co drive in it though when your done, I'll show you some more secret passageways again then (roads that is- don't get too excited)!!!!

R
Old 25 January 2013, 06:38 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

As per the text really Rob.

I'm sure ill see you as I'm regularly up your way for ice cream and a walk especially with the lil one one the way.
Old 25 January 2013, 06:41 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

BUGGER!!!

Shame a nice car has to die, but needs must I suppose.
Old 25 January 2013, 06:51 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a shame but I understand where your coming from, it will give you chance to square up and you never know what the future may bring.
There may be a few bits and bobs I may be interested in so I'll look forward to seeing your spec list etc.
Old 25 January 2013, 06:53 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Got the message matey, I was a bit late with my offer of help. Onward and upward mate.

Trending Topics

Old 25 January 2013, 07:05 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

still got your wheels in my garage rob when do you want me to drop them back mate ?
Old 25 January 2013, 07:09 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gutted mate another one bites the dust...!

Needs must though!
Old 25 January 2013, 07:24 PM
Tiptoptaf
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sad times fella not good news but you got to do what you need to do
Old 25 January 2013, 07:26 PM
j976rna
Scooby Regular

same thing happened to me,ive always had fast cars,then had the kids, so i thought ill get a family car, if youve always been into cars, YOU WILL GET BORED, driving that little corsa around with no power, then youll see a scooby whizz past you, and youll think to yourself, i dont care about the running costs, i need a fast car in my life.
Old 25 January 2013, 07:33 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
Thanks for your kind words Ty, it's been quite an emotional day I'm not gonna lie! There's a slight glimmer in that Since writing this I have been offered an alternative from a very kind Sws member, which Im truly grateful of, but I think it's more than likely still ginna end up in bits unless my numbers come up tomorro night.

Oh and you and your pub talk figures, you know you need that sort of power just to keep up on the straights, and when it comes to the twisties you know full well you won't keep up lol! Be nice to have a co drive in it though when your done, I'll show you some more secret passageways again then (roads that is- don't get too excited)!!!!

R
You can be my wingman anytime Iceman, oops I meant Rob.

Once it's back I'll pop up (avoiding Brecon bypass though ) and you can have a go in the passenger seat, you never know you might even have a shot in the drivers seat as well.
Old 26 January 2013, 07:39 AM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

well rob over the past couple of months we've discussed drank coffee discussed more and drank more coffee on this subject and i think it's the right decision at this moment in time for you you've got yourself a lovely home that you ripped apart and got exactly as you and donna want it the majority of your time is spent in the van which at the end of the day brings you your living so is the most important vehicle the scoob is just a play thing which can be lived without (though i know it's hard to give up ) and you can always get another at some point
Old 26 January 2013, 08:46 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
When I sold my S202 I did consider moving away from Impreza's but when I test drove my current car I knew that in reality that I was going to get another Impreza. They deliver plenty of performance whilst also being practical for a fast car, and of course when compared to mainstream manufacturers there aren't too many of them on the road.
Saw yours parked up in the snow yesterday fella

TX.
Old 26 January 2013, 09:11 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
Where was that? It's not even running at the moment mainly due to the lack of a turbo being fitted.
Old 26 January 2013, 04:03 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
Where was that? It's not even running at the moment mainly due to the lack of a turbo being fitted.
Ah right, I now know where as you were in with Ryan yesterday.
Old 26 January 2013, 05:42 PM
GIBZY
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you Rob, buut as Ozz rightly said you have bigger priorities at the moment. Plus your still young enough that you can have another one in a few years should you no doubtingly will.

Give me a bell when you are going to break her. i'll have that interior off of you.... Oh yes the vulture is already circuling.
Old 26 January 2013, 06:14 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Ah right, I now know where as you were in with Ryan yesterday.
Yep, not surprised you've left it there ... great set-up + he/they really know what they're doing

TX.
Old 26 January 2013, 06:37 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Always a tough call but when need must its got to be done.

You can always return when the time is right for you
Old 27 January 2013, 02:30 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As its been said Rob boy it's a sad day indeed.. but if its got to go buddy, its got to go. And when your a a better postition I am sure you will be back with another Scooby..
Old 01 February 2013, 01:24 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I don't think we have met Rob but if you are anything like me you will sell the car and find you are in as much agony as you are in now.

When we own Imprezas we agonise over justifying ownership. So we sell and agonise over not having one anymore. So we buy another having forgotten what the agony of ownership feels like. Then we remember so we sell up, having forgotten what not having one feels like. All too quickly we remember that too so we buy another.

And on it goes. Its incurable. Unless you actually can find a car that fills the void. I can't think of any that will for me personally.

You might have better luck.

Sometimes being a petrolhead can be an affliction.

Last edited by Dan W; 01 February 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01 February 2013, 02:17 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never a truer word spoke there Dan, I think we are all the same deep down,

I have done this all my life with cars...
Old 06 February 2013, 11:30 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Me too. And I am resigned to doing it until I either die or can't drive anymore for whatever reason.
Old 06 February 2013, 11:43 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Way to do it is Subaru on classic insurance, and limited miles, so cheap.

Then a cheap economical car for back and fore to work.

Its the ONLY reason I can keep my Impreza, as otherwise to us mere mortals its too expensive.
Old 06 February 2013, 11:43 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Cars, can't live with them or without them

Just like a woman
Old 07 February 2013, 10:37 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Cars, can't live with them or without them

Just like a woman
No no, the quote for women goes like this,

'Women... can't live with them, can't live with them'

Only kidding.
Old 10 February 2013, 03:54 PM
VjTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

I have been trying to message you directly, but your mailbox is full.
Let me know if the carbon splitter is still available.

Thanks.
Old 18 February 2013, 08:03 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Morning all!
May I just say thank you all for your very kind words, it just goes to show why SWS is the best club around,'all the texts if sympathy(you'd swear I'd lost an arm) and offers of help FOC have been amazing, all from people I would never have met had I not been parts of the club.
Also my apologies In leaving it what seems like forever to update this thread, quite a few major developments (unfortunately no lotto win though) have occurred since starting the thread, and there appears to be sunshine on the horizon.......

I have decided to keep my works van and not replace with a. Brand new one for starters. At the time if first writing on here, my van (which is only 6 year old ) had recently chewed through its second clutch in 6 months (costing som £600) and I had somewhat lost a Little faith in my beloved transit. I was seriously considering a new one, but considering dealerships were offering me stupidly low amount for the van, and the fact that they didn't seem to want to 'deal' made me think **** them, I'll keep the van and run it into the ground (after finding the route problem with the clutch failure and repairing) anD save myself a lot of money.

The long and the short of it is a few cutbacks have been made, the situation has changed somewhat , and as a result the car will stay with me!!!! Whoop whoop!
Please forgive me for anyone who would have liked parts, I'm sorry, truthfully this was a 99% certainty the car was gonna end up in bits, but after having time and sitting back to fully assess the situation, a happier ending for the car has become evident!

I will start with sorting out the rust issues with the car, this is the area which needs prioritising for repair sooner rather than later , I will be shopping around soon for prices (anybody who has any suggestions of recoomended repairers please let me know) to get this sorted. The rest can wait a little. It's unlikely I'll make any shows this season, but no doubt will be keen for a run (where people don't get too close to the car to see all the niggles!,,)

Once again thankiyou all for your kind words, I look forward to seeing (and abusing) you all in the near future!!

Rob ;-)

Last edited by The Sheep Worrier; 18 February 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 18 February 2013, 08:35 AM
GIBZY
Scooby Regular

I'm glad that you have seen sense and decided to keep her. As I said before though if you do need a hand with anything give me a holla.

P.s give me a ring. I've got a business opportunity for you
Old 18 February 2013, 09:04 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Good call Robbie you should take it out for a blast to celebrate

Quick Reply: Sad day today :-(