Notices

1st Time Scooby - Help needed in Cardiff

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2012, 11:40 PM
Pricey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Time Scooby - Help needed in Cardiff

I am new to SN and am looking to get my first scooby soon. I have seen this one advertised, looks good, but I dont know if this is good value or to be avoided? Any advice would be great.

DWP
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2167554.htm
Old 06 January 2012, 06:41 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

There's a few things that bother me about that car:

The turbo used would no way ever get anywhere near the 500bhp claimed.

The gearbox would destroy itself pretty quickly as 22B gearbox or not the classic gearboxes cannot handle that power would sh1tting themselves within a very short time.

I'm sure there are other factors as well but that is what concerns me after just a quick read.
Old 06 January 2012, 06:44 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Oh and the brakes, no mention of them being uprated if it is running 500bhp I wouldn't trust the standard brakes; if you spend thousands of £'s on the engine then why not fit Brembo / AP Racing or similar braking components?
Old 06 January 2012, 08:36 AM
Pricey
Scooby Regular

Thanks CF.

I did ask about the brakes and they are standard all around. What sort of value would you roughly say for a suitable turbo (fitted) and upgraded brakes? would you say the car looks like a decent one for themoney with these bits sorted out?

The actual car has done 77K kilometers with the engine doing 3000 as in the advert.

Thanks again.
Old 06 January 2012, 09:50 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dwittsprice
Thanks CF.

I did ask about the brakes and they are standard all around. What sort of value would you roughly say for a suitable turbo (fitted) and upgraded brakes? would you say the car looks like a decent one for themoney with these bits sorted out?

The actual car has done 77K kilometers with the engine doing 3000 as in the advert.

Thanks again.
If the brakes have not been done then I very much doubt it's running 500bhp. You would need to get on to the Midlands bit fo Scoobynet and ask there.
Old 06 January 2012, 09:53 AM
Pricey
Scooby Regular

If the enginer has only done 3000 since the rebuild could it still be running in?

I will do, thanks for the advice.

Or if anybody knows of a quality car up for sale locally please feel free to drop me a message.
Old 06 January 2012, 11:46 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Have you researched Scooby ownership?
I take it you have owned similar spec cars?
Are you good with spanners?
Until you have I would wait a little long. And yes I know someone selling a very nicely modded Scoob.

We have a Club meet at J30 M4 Toby Carvery on the 18 Jan if you need a chat, 7.30 pm onwards.

You may also get PM's from other clubs as well.
Old 06 January 2012, 01:15 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I was thinking has been mentioned above as well.

I'll add have you driven anything with this sort of power before as that's massive in a classic, 300-350 in a classic is a great power band so be careful not to chase numbers when your looking they dont always mean what they say. You could find if you wish to use this on a weekend or daily etc that this sort of power becomes difficult to drive.
This 500 figure I wonder could that be with meth ??
I've not heard of that garage, also have to ask who the mapper is as a lot are known.
Old 06 January 2012, 01:55 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

The car looked a little on the expensive side at first, but looking at what most type R are currently being advertised for at the moment doesnt seem so bad, makes me wish id kept mine as it seems to be worth more now than when i sold it over 2 years ago....

The TD06 25G must be quite a big turbo but quite an old technology and not something i would of gone for building a car to that spec... (TD05 20G do around 400bhp so guess this is capbale of at least 450+)

As said the 5 speed box (22B or not) will die very quickly at that power level!!

Do u really want a 500bhp car for ur first scooby?? Is it just 2 doors ur interested in?
I woul do a lot more reseach into who built and mapped the car before thinking about buying....
Old 06 January 2012, 02:00 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

As already said.

I'd say the figures are a little high, 450 is more like it. I also can't see the gearbox lasting long. Seems strange to list such a massive spec for the car but not to show any pictures of the engine bay.

you'd have to change the brakes for something bigger which would also mean bigger wheels (With decent tyres, not the cheap ditch finders that come with wheel packages) so you'd be looking at £2k on top of that price + £2-3K for a gearbox conversation (6 speed or uprated 5 speed)

Not a hope in hells chance that engine would hold together for long running 700BHP with a turbo change.

Not meaning to sound funny, but have you driven a 500BHP car? Nearly all are not much fun to drive as a day2day car, due to the clutches required to take the power.

As said a lightly modded Type R can be a real handful let alone a 450-500BHP one, Many a driver on here has found out they can bite you even after many years of UK turbo, WRX or STI ownership
Old 06 January 2012, 02:46 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

The replies above may seem like we are directing you away from the car. This is not the case.

But we have seen people receive a good dose of "ring dhobi" on alleged big power, well sorted, mapped and modded cars. If you trawl here I don't think I have seen a mention of Hensport anywhere.

hope this helps, Ian .
Old 06 January 2012, 03:59 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful you don't end up with a monster that someone else created
Old 06 January 2012, 06:01 PM
Pricey
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys for all the advice. I was more worried about buying a banger that was gong to cost me a bomb after buying.

I drove my mates ver 5, 6 weeks ago (ish), running about 320 and that was plenty so a remap to high 300's should be useable? So the engine should be quite reliable built to that spec and running a lower HP.

I had a 54 plate M3 coupe in 2005 and an E55 after that (two weeks until is was knicked) and everyday diesels since then. Got more into bikes the last couple of year last bike being R1 mostly on track days so I do respect speed!!

Thanks again.

DWP
Old 06 January 2012, 07:16 PM
spd(john)
Scooby Regular

If you want to go down the Subaru route, then go for one that has not been abused, these are very few and between, so dont buy the first thing you see, if the owner prattles on about how he has done this and that, he/she is selling for one reason only, they got it wrong.

Good hunting.
Old 07 January 2012, 10:40 PM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Have you researched Scooby ownership?
I take it you have owned similar spec cars?
Are you good with spanners?
Until you have I would wait a little long. And yes I know someone selling a very nicely modded Scoob.

We have a Club meet at J30 M4 Toby Carvery on the 18 Jan if you need a chat, 7.30 pm onwards.

You may also get PM's from other clubs as well.
extremely good advice there..we also are meeting tomorrow in Cwmbran (sent you details) , get yourself to one of the meets and talk to as many people as you can, you wont get better advice, and anyone on here will help you find the right car.

its a minefield out there but at the same time there are some well sorted cars out there too, knowledge is key
Old 08 January 2012, 11:05 AM
Pricey
Scooby Regular

Cheers all for the comments and the invites. I can't make today but the 18th i will definitely get to.

I have also seen this car which seems not bad value?

The car comes up as a non-STI when you search the number plate, but when I spoke to the owner who seemed pretty good guy he said this is not uncommon with V5 documents not showing the STI?

Any thoughts? The owner has accepted an offer from me based on the information provided. Any thoughts?

DWP
Old 08 January 2012, 11:21 AM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

I have an unmolested WRX if you want to try out impreza ownership?

Apart from cat back exhaust and panel filter its standard. It'll give you an idea of impreza ownership and start you off with ~280BHP. It goes well too ask antone on here they will tell you.

Phone me if you want to chat, 07725235582.

Im looking for £2750

Dylan
Old 08 January 2012, 12:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Top car from Dylan.
Old 08 January 2012, 01:10 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dwittsprice
Cheers all for the comments and the invites. I can't make today but the 18th i will definitely get to.

I have also seen this car which seems not bad value?

The car comes up as a non-STI when you search the number plate, but when I spoke to the owner who seemed pretty good guy he said this is not uncommon with V5 documents not showing the STI?

Any thoughts? The owner has accepted an offer from me based on the information provided. Any thoughts?

DWP
Guessing there should be a link to another car for sale in this post??
Old 09 January 2012, 07:54 PM
Ti22
Scooby Regular

If it checks out as straight in the flesh then it might be an OK car. However.. I get nervous about cars when the adverts dont add up.

'500hp' but no dyno printout - in my book that means its no better than standard without a printout. If I was selling a car with as comprehensive a spec as that and stating a power output, it would have a RR printout to prove it and photos of the receipts for all the bits or the actual bits..

Underside looks good - but possibly because it's just been undersealed (especially as its not long been imported)

Ad reads like the people selling it are the ones that imported it...

The right person with the right bits building the engine is important, but no where near as important as knowing who mapped it. This is the key factor on whether it lasts 10 mins or 10 years - ad does not state mapper.

Whether you need/want/can keep your licence with a 500hp road car is up to you!

Certainly though, take someone with you when you go to look for a car and do lots of research on here - there are a lot of little things that these cars can catch the uninformed out on!

Last edited by Ti22; 09 January 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 26 January 2012, 04:38 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
I have an unmolested WRX if you want to try out impreza ownership?

Apart from cat back exhaust and panel filter its standard. It'll give you an idea of impreza ownership and start you off with ~280BHP. It goes well too ask antone on here they will tell you.

Phone me if you want to chat, 07725235582.

Im looking for £2750

Dylan
As dylan said
a nice clean,unmolested car
if my money wasn't going on my engine i would have it tomorrow.

Last edited by drive; 26 January 2012 at 04:39 PM.