Advanced Driving.

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2011, 11:26 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Driving.

I am thinking of doing an advanced driving course and was wondering if anybody on here has done one.

Just after some info such as cost, where I may be able to find tutor etc and if its really all that worthwhile.

any feedback at all will be appreciated.

Thanks chaps,

Dan
Old 24 February 2011, 12:01 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

I have read to on it. Used the advanced drivers handbook and a police drivers hand book. Both were very good.

There is a group in seansea somewhere, if you go on the advanced driver website it'll give you there contact details.

I did training with one of the boys in work who is an advanced driver, and I found it brilliant. Transformed my way of thinking when driving.
Reading the books is worth it alone.

Not sure if it really lowers your insurance that much??

Best of luck.
Old 24 February 2011, 12:44 PM
S44M UK
Scooby Regular

i done it when i was 19 my company paid for it at the time just so i could drive company vehicles due to insurance purpose's i did it jus outside cardiff think the cost was about £1200 and i would be able to get insurance for the price i do atm if it wernt for it, and much more confident behind the wheel of any car now deffo id go for it
Old 25 February 2011, 09:40 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

The book sounds like a good start.
Old 25 February 2011, 09:48 AM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

I done the smiths course in work, makes you think about stopping distances and your general positioning on the road.
Old 25 February 2011, 10:02 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

My driving instructor taught me using Road Craft - this is the guide that the Police use for teaching/instructing their driving pupils.

He was an ex Police driving instructor himself and didn't just go over the techniques of driving, he also showed me how to assess situations, probable outcomes of other drivers actions plus best of all how to spot the idiots just by their road positioning and car control.

I also did half a day's tuition about 6 years ago with a driving instructor who actually teaches the driving instructors for the Police and Fire services.

We went out on a run through Mid Wales - we went through braking points, driving lines and road positioning, hitting the apex when in fast corners (of course if there is no oncoming traffic), how to keep the car settled and how braking effects the balance, slow in fast out cornering plus loads more.

It is only when you see how smooth a professional driving instructor is that you realise in comparison how sh1te most of us are in comparison.
Old 25 February 2011, 10:29 AM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
My driving instructor taught me using Road Craft - this is the guide that the Police use for teaching/instructing their driving pupils.

He was an ex Police driving instructor himself and didn't just go over the techniques of driving, he also showed me how to assess situations, probable outcomes of other drivers actions plus best of all how to spot the idiots just by their road positioning and car control.

I also did half a day's tuition about 6 years ago with a driving instructor who actually teaches the driving instructors for the Police and Fire services.

We went out on a run through Mid Wales - we went through braking points, driving lines and road positioning, hitting the apex when in fast corners (of course if there is no oncoming traffic), how to keep the car settled and how braking effects the balance, slow in fast out cornering plus loads more.

It is only when you see how smooth a professional driving instructor is that you realise in comparison how sh1te most of us are in comparison.
Shame you don't remember any of what you were taught then.

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2011, 10:37 AM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R1CH D
Car sympathy you say
Old 25 February 2011, 01:33 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

This is why I am thinking of doing it. I appreciate that there's alot I don't know about driving and would appreciate knowing what I don't know.

What a mouthful
Old 25 February 2011, 08:38 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R1CH D
I could adopt the typical PSV drivers technique:

Manoveure - who gives a stuff about who you cut up, they shouldn't be there anyway

Mirror - so you can see the vehicle you cut up and the rage of the other driver

Signal - either put your hazards on to 'thank' the other driver OR flick them the bird out of the side window to show them that you do actually own the road and why do they have the right to overtake you

I think most PSV drivers are taught the above and make sure implement it daily.

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
Car sympathy you say
Old 26 February 2011, 10:08 AM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

I could adopt the typical PSV drivers technique:

Manoveure - who gives a stuff about who you cut up, they shouldn't be there anyway

Mirror - so you can see the vehicle you cut up and the rage of the other driver

Signal - either put your hazards on to 'thank' the other driver OR flick them the bird out of the side window to show them that you do actually own the road and why do they have the right to overtake you

I think most PSV drivers are taught the above and make sure implement it daily.

Yep that is correct,