Notices

Anyone Local?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2010, 10:45 AM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Local?

Well im debating taking the box out of the scoob myself to split it open and whilst thats happening I can send the shocks off for a refurb.

Just wondering if any of you have attempted this on the ground with the car up on axel stands, anything to look out for and the best way to get the car up high enough?

(Maybe someone local wants to earn a couple of pennys )

Ryan.
Old 18 April 2010, 11:21 AM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi fella i done mine on a 4 poster last time but have done one on the ground, you can get it out on your own but deffo need a hand getting it back in,
you can leave the front shafts in place (after hitting out the locating pins use a bar to lever off one side then the other,....do this after you have taken off the prop and undone all the box mounts and cradels
take the prop middle section (and carryers) compleatly off to give yourself some room

i split mine down a few months ago and found the leyshaft seal had gone and a diff bearing rough. bought them both off subaru only cost about £15 for both,
use a good "instant gasket" when putting it back together cos you wont know if its done its job untill you drive the car next...

the hardest part is spltting the box as you have to take it ALL apart to slide one thing over another, remember when putting it back together to have the selector shafts all in line and in neautral (i put mine back in the car and had put it back togehther with it stuck in 3rd
so in efect done the job twice

id offer you a hand if i was closer.
or if you wanted to get the car to newport on a sunday we could get it on the ramps and do it,,