Notices

Help/Advice Please - Crashed Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2009, 08:08 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/Advice Please - Crashed Scoob

Big Big dilema here, I've kept it a little quiet from here but i've only gone and crashed my scoob This happened sunday nite, heres a couple of pics

The car has been in TWK Thomas Llansamlet for a couple of days and they have given a quote to the insurance company of £4657 so its now obviously a write off So the insurance company dont occur anymore charges they are going to pick the car up and take it to their salvage yard which im very nervous about. The salvage yard is Coparts and they havent got a local holding yard either.

Have any of you been through this, I dont know what they will offer me for the car yet or what the salvage yard will offer them for me to buy the car back, just looking for a little morale support any ideas how they work their prices?

Im entitled to a second estimate so maybe I could find a garage that would do this and hold it their for me?

ARGHHH Help i dont want to loose this car.
Old 22 October 2009, 08:27 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this

£4657 for some minor body damage, They are having a laugh.

New wing, bumper, lights, rear quater panel etc and then respray. £500 for parts then fitting and paint.

you have the option to take it anywhere you like for repair. You don't always get the chance to buy it back. depends on insurance company

First thing I would do, would of been to remove any good bits of the car wheels etc and swap these back to standard or the cheapest nastiest parts I could get my hands on. then get another quote and take it from there
Old 22 October 2009, 08:44 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Gutted for you mate, like Danny said try and swap the parts and then get another quote.

They've marked the price up as either they can't be arsed or there's not enough profit in the job for them and so they've priced it high so they wont get it.

Good luck though.
Old 22 October 2009, 08:48 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this Ryan

From the pic's you should be able to repair it for a lot less than quoted so insist on more estimates.

Good luck.
Old 22 October 2009, 08:58 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you Mr M

As said, the estimate is a little too high, that would be using brand new parts from Subaru though!! Hope you get it sorted
Old 22 October 2009, 08:58 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I would insist on as second quotation at a repair centre of your choice as you have the right to specify the repairer and not accept the insurance company's specified repairer.

Having worked in an accident repair centre myself if they didn't want the work they overprice the repair so the car would be repaired elsewhere or the car would be written off.

Nothing can be done with the car until you accept the insurance company's offer, you could accept the offer and buy the car back if your insurance company agrees but remember that it will be a category C/D write off and would require an inspection report to show it is road worthy ( if I remember correctly ) and the resale value of the repaired car would be less as well as a repaired write off.

I would contact Scooby401 as he works at Lee & Turner bodyshop in Bridgend.
Old 22 October 2009, 09:08 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

give ian davies auto refurb a call in pontradullias.

Trending Topics

Old 22 October 2009, 09:32 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, here's where it stands.

The car does have a little more than body damage, the front steering arm has been bent and not sure exactly what other parts (couldn't really see anything), also the rear could be leaning in slightly at the top but hard to tell with the rear wing like that.

I've cancelled them picking the car and taking it to salvage tomorrow but I have to move the car, going to cost about 50-60quid but thats fine. At least that way the car will still be local even if it is going to be written off and to stop anyone in the salvage yard taking a fancy to it and stickin the price up to buy it back.The car has been classed as a Cat C and they are willing for me to buy the car back. Im going to get it to Id Autos tomorrow for another estimate but I will have a chat with him about it all.

Has anyone been offered money for a car and then sent in pictures as proof to how well looked after its been? I've not got any recipts as I do all the work myself.
Old 22 October 2009, 09:58 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

hi mate, im a panel beater painter, thats pretty minor damage, and personally id source the parts u need and get them painted, fit urself and take it to a bodyshop for repair on quarter. 2nd hand parts wud do, and u would be surprised how cheap u will get it all done.

pm me if u need advice or anything
Old 22 October 2009, 10:01 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you, good move not letting them pick the car up.
I would keep it til u decide what ur gonna do with it so bits don't go missing.

Cat C will require a VIC check to put it back on the road after the repair.

U need to work out if it is worth buying it back, as Cannon Fodder said it will be worth less than a HPI clear car when u come to sell it and will be harder to sell.
If the Salvage Price plus the repair cost come to more than £3K then it's probably not worth doing IMHO

Hope it works out ok for u

Last edited by turboDean; 22 October 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 22 October 2009, 10:38 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

TWK are known for being expensive as they replace instead of repair panels. As everyone else has said, get a second quote. I the car is drivable then as to insurance company if you can store it until you get a second quote.
Old 22 October 2009, 10:58 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Sorry to hear this

£4657 for some minor body damage, They are having a laugh.

New wing, bumper, lights, rear quater panel etc and then respray. £500 for parts then fitting and paint.

you have the option to take it anywhere you like for repair. You don't always get the chance to buy it back. depends on insurance company

First thing I would do, would of been to remove any good bits of the car wheels etc and swap these back to standard or the cheapest nastiest parts I could get my hands on. then get another quote and take it from there
Originally Posted by mje_wrx
hi mate, im a panel beater painter, thats pretty minor damage, and personally id source the parts u need and get them painted, fit urself and take it to a bodyshop for repair on quarter. 2nd hand parts wud do, and u would be surprised how cheap u will get it all done.

pm me if u need advice or anything
i agree with these two and think you should just get bumper/wing and any stearing parts etc.. and fit them your self then take to body shop and get them to finish off

don't look like any bad damage from the pics that you can't fix your self and jarvis and mje wrx you should speak to first as they work in body shops
Old 22 October 2009, 11:43 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Couldn't see the pictures but still gutted for you . Goodluck
Old 22 October 2009, 11:54 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

cheers guys for the advice, my main concern was the car going to their salvage yard. I'll be able to store it until I make a decision. The garage its going to for a quote i'll be able to chat to him about the damage and the wheels and things.

Im not worried about the re-sale value as it doesn't really owe me anything, and I waited long enough for this car i'll be keeping it. I've got a friend who bought a scooby for the track and a donner scooby and as he was putting it through the MOT the bottom end went so he's got all the parts i'll need im wondering if its worth writting it off and maybe making a little on the car

Just stressed at the moment, the thought of the car going to someone else kills me, pretty sick but i'd rather burn it out before that happens
Old 23 October 2009, 12:09 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you Ry, i know exactly how you feel as i've only just finished repairing mine after my accident. Doesn't look to bad mate from the pics so if it was me id just try and source the parts needed and have a go at fixing it yourself )
Old 23 October 2009, 12:36 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your bad news ,have it back and repair it seems best option
Old 23 October 2009, 12:43 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update - I've managed to move the car to a different garage who is going to get and estimate to Admiral for me. Things have gone to far really for me to be able to do it myself needed the car recovered that night and they wouldn't do it unless I made a claim.

They have given me a price of £800-900 to buy the car back off them so obviously if the car is still a write off I will do the work myself depending on what price they give me for the car.

One more thing the cheeky beggers at TWK Thomas where it went for the first quote, now they know its a write of they have been contacting me to buy the car from me as it is grrrr peeved off with them.

Its all in hand at the moment now though and with someone I trust a little more.
Old 23 October 2009, 02:01 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MisterMelon
Bit of an update - I've managed to move the car to a different garage who is going to get and estimate to Admiral for me. Things have gone to far really for me to be able to do it myself needed the car recovered that night and they wouldn't do it unless I made a claim.

They have given me a price of £800-900 to buy the car back off them so obviously if the car is still a write off I will do the work myself depending on what price they give me for the car.

One more thing the cheeky beggers at TWK Thomas where it went for the first quote, now they know its a write of they have been contacting me to buy the car from me as it is grrrr peeved off with them.

Its all in hand at the moment now though and with someone I trust a little more.
After seeing the photos now I can see why so many people thought £4000+ to repair that is BS. The worst part IMO would be the damage to the rear quarter panel. Everything else would be a simple job of un-bolting and bolting on new parts. You should tell TWK to go take a long walk on a short Pier IMO!
Really wish I had some spare parts to help you out....I've got a bonnet stay if you want it sorry, I know that won't help. Hope it doesn't get written off, goodluck with it all
Old 23 October 2009, 02:49 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a set of rear lights and cyrstal side lights here, open to offers.

The front wing is a bolt on job it takes minutes to change.
I'm sure you could do a lot of that yourself at a fraction of the cost, most of that rear may pop back out from the inside with the dent man ?

4.5k daylight robbery
Old 23 October 2009, 03:52 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
I've got a set of rear lights and cyrstal side lights here, open to offers.

The front wing is a bolt on job it takes minutes to change.
I'm sure you could do a lot of that yourself at a fraction of the cost, most of that rear may pop back out from the inside with the dent man ?

4.5k daylight robbery
Well im a little more relaxed now the car is somewhere i know, I'll let you know what happens with it and if it is going to be written off then i'll give you a shout mate cheers.
Old 23 October 2009, 06:30 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Well im a little more relaxed now the car is somewhere i know, I'll let you know what happens with it and if it is going to be written off then i'll give you a shout mate cheers.
Ryan if u nee a hand fitting stuff or taking stuff off or anything else just holla at me mate.

As u know mate I have been through this quite a few times and know the score.

1st thing I would do if I were you is to get on to Autotrader and price up what your car spec and price is selling for it can be private or a dealership it doesnt matter see if you can match ur spec with the cars selling at highest price as this can be a bargainin tool when agreeing the price with the insurer as they will defo give you a crap price to start you will need to print these off and supply them to the insurance company as proof that you car is worth a few bob more than what they want to pay out!

A car is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it not what they want to give you!

second thing to do is price up the parts you need to get the repair done and get prices on labour aswell you can use copied parts if u wish which work out a bit cheaper.

If you can show that the repairs are a lot less than the 1st quote they may not right it off and you can request that they repair it.

With my old rover convertable when a guy drove into the front of it when it was standard.
I bought the preditor bodykit for it a couple of weeks before I had the accident and the insurers paid me back for it and fitted it as it was cheaper than getting new std bumpers so that could be a similar option for you. They used non genuine parts and the car was repaired.

tbh they did me a favour lol

If u do buy it back mate and dont repair it I would be up for a few parts u have so first dibs please

Whatever u decide mate Im here if u need anything and just glad ur ok!

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 23 October 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 24 October 2009, 01:06 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

cheers guys for the advice, my main concern was the car going to their salvage yard. I'll be able to store it until I make a decision. The garage its going to for a quote i'll be able to chat to him about the damage and the wheels and things.

Im not worried about the re-sale value as it doesn't really owe me anything, and I waited long enough for this car i'll be keeping it. I've got a friend who bought a scooby for the track and a donner scooby and as he was putting it through the MOT the bottom end went so he's got all the parts i'll need im wondering if its worth writting it off and maybe making a little on the car

Just stressed at the moment, the thought of the car going to someone else kills me, pretty sick but i'd rather burn it out before that happens
Cancel the claim, then they wont take car, it should then be non recorded as no work has been carried out and engineers wudnt have seen car to claim its a cat c etc.

as long as its taxed u cabn park car on road where u live, or in drive, garage.
u can keep driving it providing all lights work and there are no sharp edges that pedestrians can hurt them selves on. so u can source parts and still use vehicle. providing some1 hit u, ur no claims should remain untouched, as the claim was canceled, but if u hit them, and they claim off u, u can keep ur car but ur insurance will have to pay out, so counts as a claim.
Old 24 October 2009, 01:14 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

i dont understand how u cant cancel car, its your car at end of day, id personally try and cancel it and pick up recovery charges. i can ask my manager for advice as he is a estimator and deals with insurance all day, he knows ins and outs. let me know. be shame to write car off for repairs that can be carried out easily by replacing parts and minor repair on quarter, and suspension is also bolt of, bolt on, from experience its normally, strut, wishbone, track rod end and tie bar. so many cars being broke, u can sourse them easily.

hope u get it sorted, pm me if u need me to contact my boss
Old 29 October 2009, 08:26 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Quick update for you all guys, as you know they quoted a silly price of £4657 at the insurues choice of garage which i thought was ridiculous so I got the car away from there to a garage of my own choice and I have recieved the estimate today so here it goes:-

Total Labour £832
Paints Materials £300

And parts needed as Makers price list - 2 Wheels (just need paint though)
1 Rear Bumper
1 nsr 1/4 panel
1 nsf wing
1 nsf side light
1 nsr light
1 steering rack arm

And somehow I cant see that coming anywhere close to £4657, im going to complain to the insruance company as im convinced the guys priced to right it off to buy the car from me, I had been contacted as soon as they found out it was a write off according to their estimate GRRRRR.

Just waiting to hear back from the insurance company but odds are they will pay out for this and im also tempted to speak to the guy at the garage if im to cover the costs would he blow the whole car over
Old 29 October 2009, 08:42 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Quick update for you all guys, as you know they quoted a silly price of £4657 at the insurues choice of garage which i thought was ridiculous so I got the car away from there to a garage of my own choice and I have recieved the estimate today so here it goes:-

Total Labour £832
Paints Materials £300

And parts needed as Makers price list - 2 Wheels (just need paint though)
1 Rear Bumper
1 nsr 1/4 panel
1 nsf wing
1 nsf side light
1 nsr light
1 steering rack arm

And somehow I cant see that coming anywhere close to £4657, im going to complain to the insruance company as im convinced the guys priced to right it off to buy the car from me, I had been contacted as soon as they found out it was a write off according to their estimate GRRRRR.

Just waiting to hear back from the insurance company but odds are they will pay out for this and im also tempted to speak to the guy at the garage if im to cover the costs would he blow the whole car over

Fantastic news mate!

at least one of had a result!
what garage is this thats gonna repair it for u?
Old 29 October 2009, 08:50 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

ID Autos, Ian Davies in Pantarddulais. Still waiting to see if the insurance company will pay out yet though but its not more than what the car is worth so I think im onto a winner.
Old 09 November 2009, 07:12 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Well an update for you all:- ID Autos have been given the go ahead to repair the car, im now waiting on him to get back to me with a price to spray the rest of the car. Hes going to do the whole of the passenger side through the insurance so thought while its in why not.

Anybody have any idea how much you think it might be to spray 1/2 a car thats in pretty good condition?
Old 09 November 2009, 08:07 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Well an update for you all:- ID Autos have been given the go ahead to repair the car, im now waiting on him to get back to me with a price to spray the rest of the car. Hes going to do the whole of the passenger side through the insurance so thought while its in why not.

Anybody have any idea how much you think it might be to spray 1/2 a car thats in pretty good condition?
I don't know, but i'll have a guess at "half price"??
Old 09 November 2009, 08:53 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
I don't know, but i'll have a guess at "half price"??
Thats a good way of looking at it
The estimate was 800 Labour and 300 Paints and materials but that will be to strip and fit new rear bumper and front passenger wing along with a few other bits. That was for the insurance claim.
As long as the car is in pretty good condition so theres not a great deal of prep work do you think that possibly 500 to them spray the other side?
Old 09 November 2009, 08:57 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

They could hide it in the insurance work, surelly. Can't you try and hagle it all in. Say you'll take it elsewhere as they said they would do the whole car.

Quick Reply: Help/Advice Please - Crashed Scoob