Notices

My Scooby Update

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 03:12 AM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My Scooby Update

As some of your may know my car has been off the road for about 6 months now. Mainly because I wanted to save some cash .

The car is lookin a little sorry for itself but nothing a good bit of elbow grease cant sort out.

Here's how it looked for once I think the pictures are actually doing it justice.

My New Rims Arrived

I Decided that I want to give the car a good clean and service so next was to get the car up in the air and start taking all the brakes apart as the car has been standing for months. Also decided to give the arches a quick clean with the pressure washer.

I quite like the car nice and low but theres one downside couldn't get my trolley jack under there so had to use two small scissor jacks that come standard with most cars and run back and forth lifting each side a little at a time until I could get the trolley jack under. Had to do this for the front and rear.

This question comes up quite often, Including from myself. The where to place your axle stands. After having a good nose this is where i've decided to place them. Havent any pics of the rears yet sorry. Most of the weight is on the stands with the trolley jacks still there incase. Full of confidence

Heres the front central jacking point.

Cant believe how dirty I've left these arches, im quite ashamed actually Have given them a blast with the pressure washer for now and a few squirts of AutoGlym All Clean.

Before

After (Pic of the front arch to follow)

The brake disc's and pads were in a terrible state, full of rust. I've got new pads to go on and once again my Dad to the rescure spent a few hours working on the disc's

All disc's looked like this when i took them off the car

And what they look like now after he has worked his magic. Not quite new but they should now work on the car.

I've started to clean all the metal work of any loose rust and will paint it all. I spent a little over 30 quid on a Dremel like craft tool with loads of extras and im in the middle of cleanin up the calipers and the other metal work. It wokrs really well. Will follow this up with some pics soon.

Theres loads of little jobs that need doing and while the car is up on the stands I'm going to crack on so expect some regular updates to getting my car back on the road CANT BLOODY WAIT

Ryan
Old 23 June 2009, 09:25 AM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Good work Ryan, loving those rims.
Old 23 June 2009, 09:29 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

looking really good mate
Old 23 June 2009, 09:32 AM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Glad your getting stuck into it again. From the quick picture you took of the wheels i wouldn't worry too much about powdercoating them
Old 23 June 2009, 11:32 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Looking good Ry Loving the new wheels
Old 23 June 2009, 11:54 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheels look mint Get them on
Old 23 June 2009, 03:21 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, well i took half day today with the weather being so nice. Well real reason was to do birthday shopping for my mother terrible memory as its tomorrow.

Just about to go out now and have a look at what i can clean up and start applying some paint to bits of it. Will get some photos up later.

Originally Posted by ryan33hks
Glad your getting stuck into it again. From the quick picture you took of the wheels i wouldn't worry too much about powdercoating them
to late mate, they are with a local guy being painted. Having them done with wet paint and not powder coating after reading about alot of people have trouble with it cracking and moisture getting underneath and eating away at the alloy

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2009, 10:22 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MisterMelon

Nice Rims Wish i could of got that colour when i had mine.
Old 23 June 2009, 10:31 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I love those rims
Old 26 June 2009, 12:48 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

those rims are spot on mate
Old 26 June 2009, 01:23 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Yes very nice rims and colour
Old 26 June 2009, 07:05 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Just a little bit of an update guys, spent a couple of hours through the week cleaning up my brake calipers and removing any built up rust. Then gave them a lick of paint.

I know this is the rear of the caliper and would never get seen but once I had started there was no stopping me

With a little more definition to the shape of the caliper,

Thats about as good as I could get it looking,

Typical forgot to get any pictures of the rear once i'd painted it, heres a quick picture of the painted caliper with the disk in place,

I've really wanted to clean the arches back to the paintwork but upon closer inspection, which you may be able to see in some of the pics they have been coated with this black rubber stuff Has anyone experienced this?

Faced with this im lookin at going down the route of sealing the arches so that they are all black as i've also painted alot of the metal work up black.
Old 26 June 2009, 07:19 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

The black rubber stuff is stone chip protection. They spray the same stuff under the car. Good job on the calipers, you need to paint the 'subaru' a different colour though.
Old 26 June 2009, 07:24 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Here's another little update, as most of your know I much prefer the darker colour wheel against the colour of the car. I really liked the Revolution Millenium rims but could only get them in silver in the correct size for the Classic so i've done the crazy thing of buying brand new rims and having them painted straight away

Im really pleased with the result and im not sure the photos properly show off how good a job has been done,

From this:-

To this:-

Hope you guys like, I do but i'm not going to buy tyres yet or they will be on the car and i'll never do the little jobs that need doing

Ryan.
Old 26 June 2009, 07:27 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsedwards
The black rubber stuff is stone chip protection. They spray the same stuff under the car. Good job on the calipers, you need to paint the 'subaru' a different colour though.
Yeh mate I will be painting them up White, I have painted one caliper with Hammerite and one with Brake caliper paint to find out what would give the best finish. Theres not much difference tbh. Think i'll recover the arches with Stone Guard I think its called, im not big into the show and shine so that will be fine.
Old 26 June 2009, 07:28 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

They look mint