Notices

my new car

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2007, 11:51 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new car

well its taken almost 6 months to find the right car but ive finally taken the plunge and bought this.

its a my99 uk turbo with ppp,42k miles 1 mature owner and fsh.im well happy with it,the difference between this and my old sport is massive,this feels unbelievebly quick,god knows what a 500bhp scooby must be like.im not planning on doing to much to her just a few sublte things like clear indicators,and paint the wedges.
can anyone offer me a wee bit of advice, as i have a couple of questions

would it be a wise move to change the maf sensor for peace of mind i have noticed a very slight variation to the tick over rpm when its warmed up and my mpg is very good approx 300 miles on tankful (this was plodding along off boost taking the car home from bournemouth but maybe im just a paranoid idiot),if the maf should be changed where the best place to get one,i have a green cotton filter should i fit it or stick with the paper one.

sorry if you think my questions are daft but im sure we all have had these thoughts when you just bought a new car.

i will post more piccies up when i get some.
Old 11 June 2007, 12:00 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

MAF is a main dealer item - cost me £83 from CVC.

Always a good idea to change this, made a big difference to mine.

Green panel filter will be better than standard, so yes change it

Last edited by StiX; 11 June 2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 11 June 2007, 10:16 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Arh mine used to look like that when I bought it. Now shes a million miles away from it.

Welcome to turbo'd power fold, Thats looks a very nice clean example and in the fastest colour!!!!

As said change the indicators for clear ones and strip/paint the wedges, There black underneath so soak in paint striper over night and clean with a toothbrush.

Fog covers really change the look of the car, I sold my fog lights for £100 as I never used them anyway.

When you get used to the power opt for a Ecutek remap to release some extra pony's

You can get a maf sensor from Davies in Cardigian who are next door to tescos
Old 11 June 2007, 12:04 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice one James. Whereabouts are you in Pembs?

I changed the MAF and Lambda when I first bought mine. Think the more robust MAF sensors have a green spot on them (don't quote me).

If it were me starting again, I would do the suspension before anything else. I would also leave the car as standard looking as possible. I sometimes wish I hadn't buggered with mine quite as much as I have. Personally I prefer lights over covers but the fogs are pretty useless and whatever you do don't drive around Friday and Saturday night with them on I got nearly new PIAAs of Fleebay.

Plus if your not out cleaning it every weekend, don't get white wheels there a royal PITA to keep clean.

Think you already are aware that general consensus is to stick with decent panel filters as apposed to induction. De-cat it and then either ECUTEK (make sure its open license like mine isn't ) or Apexi PFC if you like aftermarket gadgets.

Other than that enjoy
Old 11 June 2007, 01:18 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

thanks guys im definately going to change the maf sensor for peace of mind,still undecided about the green filter,is there any difference between maf sensors as edd mentioned one with a green spot on it does anyone have a part number for the bit i need?
im in herbrandston edd theres a few of us from around these parts we will have to arrange a pembs mini meet sometime.
Old 11 June 2007, 02:00 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gtijames
thanks guys im definately going to change the maf sensor for peace of mind,still undecided about the green filter,is there any difference between maf sensors as edd mentioned one with a green spot on it does anyone have a part number for the bit i need?
im in herbrandston edd theres a few of us from around these parts we will have to arrange a pembs mini meet sometime.
Been thinking of a Pembs meet for a while. Theres enough Imprezas around these parts.

Not sure on the part no for the MAF just ring Subaru dealer and they'll post it - or go to Cardigan. Think the screws are star drives or some other wierd fitting so I dremelled the OE ones to fit a flat head and replaced with sensible phillips

Green filter should be OK. I have K&N. It did have an ITG but when it went to Power Engineering for mapping they said it wasn't a good idea because its an oily filter and potentially knacker the MAF.

Boost gauge and oil temps are handy. Oil because the water gauge moves very quickly so not really a great indicator that the engine is hot enough for a heavy right foot. And everyone likes a nice boost gauge
Old 11 June 2007, 02:29 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

I hope your pockets are deep, the lads on here will help you spend your money Looks like some new 18"s wouldnt go amiss, theres my 10pence worth then theres also the brembos but that will come after the remap , more ponys = need for better brakes ooo I could go on but I'll let the others have a go. And yes the nicest colour
Old 11 June 2007, 02:56 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

the modification front will be on hold for now as im getting hitched in florida next spring and telling the other half that i need a new set of 18" pf7 will not go down well.
i had a nice set of 17" rotas on my old sport and sold them with the car sorry that i did now.
edd have you seen my old sport about,oh dear oh dear .have you been on the pembrokeshire modified car club site?maybe we can get a few of the local scoobs together for a meet and a cruise to somewhere scenenic.
Old 11 June 2007, 03:16 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stick with a dry filter, oiled filters give mafs huge problems. enjoy your car
Old 11 June 2007, 03:20 PM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
MAF is a main dealer item - cost me £83 from CVC.

Always a good idea to change this, made a big difference to mine.
You got an entire MAF sensor brand new for £83?.... For a classic?... How'd you manage that when they're £280 from the dealership?

I need a new MAF and the only way i can see myself getting one is through the dealership but certainly don't fancy paying £280 see.
Old 11 June 2007, 03:25 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spyd
You got an entire MAF sensor brand new for £83?.... For a classic?... How'd you manage that when they're £280 from the dealership?

I need a new MAF and the only way i can see myself getting one is through the dealership but certainly don't fancy paying £280 see.
Pre 99 mafs are £280 ish and the 99-00 are only £76 ish, because you only replace the sensor and not the housing
Old 11 June 2007, 03:55 PM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

Looks very sweet there fella.

Oh by the way I have some clear side repeaters if you want them.

Gem
Old 11 June 2007, 03:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

the modification front will be on hold for now as im getting hitched in florida next spring and telling the other half that i need a new set of 18" pf7 will not go down well.
i had a nice set of 17" rotas on my old sport and sold them with the car sorry that i did now.
edd have you seen my old sport about,oh dear oh dear .have you been on the pembrokeshire modified car club site?maybe we can get a few of the local scoobs together for a meet and a cruise to somewhere scenenic.
Purely IMO, but I've not been happy since I put 18s on mine. Yes they look great (when clean) but it doesn't handle as well as it did with 17s (I had Rota Torque).

You know from the sport what Scoobs feel like and what they can and can't do. Now you've got a turbo and better brakes, that will keep you occupied for a while until you get used to the power. In the meantime make sure it can handle round Pembrokeshire roads
Old 11 June 2007, 03:57 PM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

Come along to the meet on thursaday. You'll enjoy just having a scout around at the others about

Gem
Old 11 June 2007, 04:47 PM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Pre 99 mafs are £280 ish and the 99-00 are only £76 ish, because you only replace the sensor and not the housing
Out of all the years i had to pick the bloody expensive one did i!
Old 11 June 2007, 05:02 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

just been on the phone to cvc they reckon mafs are £75 + vat.
gem thanks for the invite to a meet,i will try to come up one day its just ahell of a drag up from my place on a weekday evening after work.
how much you wanting for the clear indies?
Old 11 June 2007, 05:22 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spyd
Out of all the years i had to pick the bloody expensive one did i!
Arh but yours doesn't break as often as ours do, 1 a year for me!!! sometimes 2!!!!!!
Old 11 June 2007, 05:29 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

just come off the phone to he cardigan subaru dealers they have a maf for the same price as cvc so im going pick it up in the next few days.danny ihope mine lasts a bit longer than 6 months.yours has had a few minor modifications though .
Old 11 June 2007, 05:36 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

just come off the phone to he cardigan subaru dealers they have a maf for the same price as cvc so im going pick it up in the next few days.danny ihope mine lasts a bit longer than 6 months.yours has had a few minor modifications though .
I'm sure they charged me £76 plus vat last time I got one off them, you might want to think about getting an oil filter and sump plug washer whilst your theres, saves time for when it's an oil change. I normally get a couple when I'm over there. Saying that it's only 15 miles from me

The induction kit eats mafs for breakfast but with a FMIC I've no choice. The MAF should be deleated with the next round of mods I did say I would get shot of the car this year but I do love the classic shape, so perhaps a stripped out, caged, larged engined monster is on the cards
Old 11 June 2007, 05:40 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

are you psychic i just said to my missus i will pick up a couple of filters while im up there lol.sounds like an interesting project you will have to take me for a spin when youre finished.
Old 11 June 2007, 06:55 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I average at least one MAF a year aswell, killed mine recently by jet washing my engine bay
Bought one from CVC about a week ago cost me £79.31 inc VAT(with 10% discount), they must of gone up in price coz i'm sure i only paid £79.50 for the last one with no discount.

Nice clean looking car BTW, think i seen it for sale either on here or on Piston Heads. Remember when mine used to be completly standard like that, far from it now
Old 11 June 2007, 06:56 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

The MAF should be deleated with the next round of mods I did say I would get shot of the car this year but I do love the classic shape, so perhaps a stripped out, caged, larged engined monster is on the cards
Go for it Danny u know it makes sense
Old 11 June 2007, 07:07 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboDean
Go for it Danny u know it makes sense
Been looking at weld in cages and some nice racing seats today. I'll have to wait until the house I'm building is sold before the engine and gearbox modes and then happy days.The cage and seats might be a littel sooner with the cash from the renovate that's up for sale at the moment.

2.35 Axis lump or the gruppe s 2.5 stage 3 looks very nice with a nice garret turbo and PPG gearbox, brakes will proberly need upgrading
Old 11 June 2007, 07:33 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

2.35 Axis lump or the gruppe s 2.5 stage 3 looks very nice with a nice garret turbo and PPG gearbox, brakes will proberly need upgrading
There's someone trying to organize a GB on Axis blocks at the mo, for the 2.35 u have to supply the 2.2 block as they are apparently to hard for Ron to get hold of.
But they have a good price on the forged 2.5 (stage 3) works out at under £2500 (inc duties and delivery)
If i was in a position to, i'd be buying one, must resist
Old 11 June 2007, 08:09 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboDean
There's someone trying to organize a GB on Axis blocks at the mo, for the 2.35 u have to supply the 2.2 block as they are apparently to hard for Ron to get hold of.
But they have a good price on the forged 2.5 (stage 3) works out at under £2500 (inc duties and delivery)
If i was in a position to, i'd be buying one, must resist
The 2.2 block is a $1000 or atleast thats what Scoobyslammed paid for his. had it shipped direct to axis for the rebuild. I'm looking towards the end of the year to have everything done.
Old 11 June 2007, 09:49 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like your heading down the road of a track car there Danny
Old 12 June 2007, 10:41 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
Looks like your heading down the road of a track car there Danny
Thats the plan, but the 5Zigen would have to go for sure
Old 12 June 2007, 11:02 AM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

just been on the phone to cvc they reckon mafs are £75 + vat.
gem thanks for the invite to a meet,i will try to come up one day its just ahell of a drag up from my place on a weekday evening after work.
how much you wanting for the clear indies?
PM BOX FULL FELLA
Old 12 June 2007, 07:31 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

took a run upto cardigan today to davies subaru got a maf for£75+vat,easy to fit but i buggered uo the screw heads,does anyone know what size they are as im going to replace them with stainless screws with allen heads,when ticking over the engine seems smoother than it was so i think it was worth doing for peace of mind.also dribbled over the 2 rb320s they have in the show room and also scrounged a rb320 catalogue for my collection so happy days.
gem pm box empty now.
Old 12 June 2007, 08:43 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

nice motor hope to see u about

Quick Reply: my new car