Notices

STI Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2007, 12:42 AM
JDSWORD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Intercooler

I want to know if there is any advantage in fitting a STI intercooler (which I have) to my WRX. I've tried the Technical area on SN but there is no concise answer. It sounds a doddle to change I just wondered what I would gain/lose. Any idea's?
Old 28 April 2007, 12:45 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

One thing to get the full benefit you need to also fit the STI undertray or only 60% or so gets cold air hitting it.

Supposed to be a top mod for the WRX if you are planning to mod further. ie bigger turbo etc
Old 28 April 2007, 12:55 AM
JDSWORD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
One thing to get the full benefit you need to also fit the STI undertray or only 60% or so gets cold air hitting it.

Supposed to be a top mod for the WRX if you are planning to mod further. ie bigger turbo etc
I have just fitted the STI 8 bonnet scoop (it's like a block of flat's after the WRX one) so that should sort the air flow. The plan is to put on a bigger turbo (which I have off a STI) + bigger injector's (again I have 500cc one's) once I have the fund's to fit them and get it mapped. I looked at the intercooler (which I'm told is an easy fit) as a quick power gain if that's what I get or will it cause lag ?
Old 28 April 2007, 06:37 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDSWORD
I have just fitted the STI 8 bonnet scoop (it's like a block of flat's after the WRX one) so that should sort the air flow. The plan is to put on a bigger turbo (which I have off a STI) + bigger injector's (again I have 500cc one's) once I have the fund's to fit them and get it mapped. I looked at the intercooler (which I'm told is an easy fit) as a quick power gain if that's what I get or will it cause lag ?
Wouldn't think you would see any noticeable amount of lag. As cookstar said make sure you get the under tray for the scoop as well.
Old 28 April 2007, 11:46 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Scoop alone won't solve the problem of flow, as mentioned already you need the undertray.

you won't get lag or more power until all the other goodies are bolted on to accompany the i/c