Notices

Fixed it..

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2006, 05:48 PM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed it..

Today 08:10
Bigbrakes
Scooby Regular

2006 not a good year so far.
#125 Well the engine upgrade has now taken on a whole new meaning, after spending the afternoon learning how to launch the car from the start line, (thanks again tony for your time.) was on the way home, whilst changing up from 4 to 5 @ 4000rpm a popping noise was heard followed by a missfire, pulled up enginge ticking over normal, no hoses blown just a tapping noise coming from #4 pot.

Car starts as per normal, no problems there, no oil in water or water in oil, car drives ok @3000rpm no missfire, @3500rpm no missfire, @4000rpm missfire shows up, (not taken it any further), tapping sound still there, any ideas/comments before we pull/strip the engine.

John
Last edited by Bigbrakes : Today at 09:27.

Today, 10:08
andy97
Scooby Regular

#126 Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrakes
Well the engine upgrade has now taken on a whole new meaning, after spending the afternoon learning how to launch the car from the start line, (thanks again tony for your time.) was on the way home, whilst changing up from 4 to 5 @ 4000rpm a popping noise was heard followed by a missfire, pulled up enginge ticking over normal, no hoses blown just a tapping noise coming from #4 pot.

Car starts as per normal, no problems there, no oil in water or water in oil, car drives ok @3000rpm no missfire, @3500rpm no missfire, @4000rpm missfire shows up, (not taken it any further), tapping sound still there, any ideas/comments before we pull/strip the engine.

John

spark plugs?

Today, 10:35
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

#127 Get the plugs out and have a look at them.
then have the cam covers off and have a shufty at the valves...

Had a car in the past that jumped a tooth on the cambelt and reved ok up to a certain point and then misfired.
Might also explain the tick.

I wouldn't pull it just yet..

Today, 17:20
Bigbrakes
Scooby Regular

Fixed it.!!!
#128 To say i am a lot happier now would be a under statement, after a lot of head scratching and advice from andy97 + fuzz, (Thanks again guys) i lifted the bonnet and got stuck into it, took the easy option first and removed the r/h portion of the cam belt/pulleys cover, nothing amiss here.
Then moved on to the plugs, removing #2 and 4, again nothing here to worry about although #4 showed signs of soot, at this time i can feel my wallet trying to escape from my pocket and legging it.
So it was time to move on to the removel of the cam cover, after many mutterings and scratches it was off, and low and behold every thing was as should be, , now things are begining to look a tad gloomy by now, so i set about putting it back together, (it has to be said that was a FinB of a job to do in situ), all done, fired her up, started with no prob`s as normal, BUT WAIT THERE IS NO TAPPING, what the f##k is going on, switched off, time for a coffee and a scratch of the head.
Removed the the #4 plug lead to give it a closer look, all appears ok, checked to see if the plug cap fits onto the plug ok(spare one), not the best of fits, then checked out the plug lead with a Mega test box, (enables you to pass a current through any lead/cable), thus checking for a brake down of resistance therfore changing the current flow, (this comparasion was carried out by using the #2 lead and a new plug as a bench mark) then using the same plug with the #4 lead which is when i found there was a big differance in the two sets of readings, so a set of replacement leads have now been fitted, and the problem is no longer there, i hope, fingers crossed..
Proof will be in the pudding so to say, of up to castle coombe (spectating only) tomorrow..

John
Last edited by Bigbrakes : Today at 17:42.

Last edited by S.P.Developments; 16 April 2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 16 April 2006, 05:53 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fingers crossed for you John