Notices

New Meet Location Higher Profile!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 04:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New Meet Location Higher Profile!!!!

Listen carefully I shall say zess only vonce.

A number of people last night said about a newer or more obvious location for meets. The Bay was suggested before but parking was away from view.

I have a contact in City Centre Traffic in Cardiff.

Say we all meet in Working Street opposite the Pier Shop/Hallifax/Queens Arcade exit. There is loads of room there. Other car clubs use it and it's near a few watering holes as well. It's a freeway after 6PM at night.

We may need to leave it until the nights are brighter. Max exposure and all that. It's covered by CCTV which may put some of you off

????????????? Thoughts
Old 18 January 2006, 05:45 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good for a change
Old 18 January 2006, 06:14 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

not bothered where we meet but I'll need really good directions as I have no idea what you mean by "The Bay"
Old 18 January 2006, 06:22 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

a change is as good as a rest
Old 18 January 2006, 06:58 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

It is really a show and shine then in the Center of town? I'll be there.
Old 18 January 2006, 07:02 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Certainly sounds like a plan for a spring/summer night - might prove more difficult for those coming from outside of The Vale/Cardiff/Newport areas though?

Still, I'm in......
Old 18 January 2006, 07:36 PM
wrx,sti
Scooby Regular

I’m not bothered ware we meet up ,count me in
Old 18 January 2006, 08:33 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Show 'n' Shine
Old 18 January 2006, 09:30 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmmmmmm a good idea Ian , its just that attracting the wrong type of people could cause a problem, you know what its like a nice collection of cars, a group of people and some jealous prat decides that it will be good fun to run a key down one of the cars it ony takes a few seconds it just might end in tears
One of the things that I think about when organising a meet is exactly this and thats why jct 30 is such a good place as its out of the way and quiet.
I dont want to be a stick in the mud but this would be a concern to me but of course anyone is free to organise whatever they want. A great idea Ian but we will need to think about the p***k element in our society the last thing i want is someones pride and joy needing a respray.
IMO of course
kev
Old 19 January 2006, 08:24 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Maybe good to stay with the cars and have an out door chat, if we went there. I do think on the last meet became diluted when we went into the pub given all the people who turned up
Old 19 January 2006, 11:57 AM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

This was my first meet:

I found it easily, first time with no sat nav, always a plus.

I was amazed that there were 22 stunning Scoobies to look at, very big plus.

It was a bit cold, but i thought people would grab a drink and return to the car park for a chat, many dissapeared into the pub never to return, no bother, but an observation.

Yellow S202 turned up, and some Scooby owners came out of the warm pub to Ogle and generally say how much they didnt like it! Where would you park that....??? Good point.

A few Scooby fans took time out to say hi, SSS, Kjdkm1, WIDE, for example, really great to meet you all.

It is difficult when you first turn up at an event and you know nobody, I have taken a year to make the move, and i will come along agian.

The meets need to be very easy to find, central and very welcoming, I would suggest that when a new unknown member turns up, they are introduced by the most longstanding member to encourage further participation.

IMO, what do you think??

Again thanks guys, Paul
Old 19 January 2006, 12:20 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Some very good points there and I'm pleased that you came along to meet the gang there were quite a few new faces so I spent quite a while circulating to try and say hello to the new faces... yes it's important to put people at their ease it is not easy to stand there without knowing anyone at all.

What you may not have realised is that a few of the gang normally have a meal and some like myself just pop in into the warm for a warm up and a chat with the rest..... it's that time of the year when it is difficult to spend all evening outside when the better weather arrives we will be more able to do that... pull a few tables together have a chat more as a group and still be by the cars as well.

Hopefully next time we have a get together at least now we know each other a little that is why I said to Kev lets have a quick meet before Ross-on-Wye as we seem to have quite a few new people here all at the same time and we thought it would be good to break the ice locally first before going away anywhere.

Hopefully if everyone comes along to the next one it will make it that much easier again and we can all get to know each other as a group that way no one needs to feels new

One thing Gentlemen.... Can we all please watch the speed limits back and fore the meets and just be aware that there are a few unmarked cars watching and waitng.... and waiting they are... just please be carefull but most of all enjoy the meets

Regards
Simon
Old 19 January 2006, 12:29 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Top comments. I sadly had to leopard crawl all the way back to work that night.
So, sorry for not saying hullo.
I understand the the security and p***k element with regards to the our cars. Personally any scum near my car would be recieving some justice.

The reason I suggested town is because the fuzz would be aware and it's close to a pub ie. you can see your car!!! Even at J 30 you may still get scrots that you can't see from the pub.

It's very easy to find as it's near a BK and the Castle in town so directions would be easy. Or, we could meet at J30 and all convoy in together and be a good show too as Pippyrips suggested.

Anyway the brighter nights are a bit further away so we can ponder awhile longer.................................
Old 19 January 2006, 01:13 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New faces are always welcome, i do try and get around as it can be a bit difficult when you are new face . Not everyone is a chopsy bugger
It is easer in the summer as you can hang around the cars without freezing this is why jct 30 suits our needs as its quiet and safe to leave your car white having a warm / drink.
As simon said we need to be more aware of our driving manners at these meets as WE ARE being watched and if we do nothing wrong then we have no worrys and i am not suggesting that we have done anything its just we need to be a little more aware
A suggestion of a meet up in the summer at jct 30 with a little run down the bay is one i like , we can stay around the cars and keep a look out for the scum ***** around.
Most of all we should be enjoing ourselves, remember its not a car, its a way of life as someone once said
kev
Old 19 January 2006, 01:41 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

A Subaru is for life not just for Christmas

As Matscooby, BigDaz and Wide have found out

PS... If I had a sensible user name I'd suggest we all put badges on !!

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 19 January 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 19 January 2006, 02:01 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Now you see why I brought the Focus - to throw the "watchers" off the sent.

It might look like a standard Ford family hatchback but in real life it's got 265bhp and AWD
Old 19 January 2006, 02:47 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
Now you see why I brought the Focus - to throw the "watchers" off the sent.

It might look like a standard Ford family hatchback but in real life it's got 265bhp and AWD
But feels like 26.5 BHP
Old 19 January 2006, 02:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
A Subaru is for life not just for Christmas

As Matscooby, BigDaz and Wide have found out

PS... If I had a sensible user name I'd suggest we all put badges on !!
Or have an A4 sheet laminated around your neck explaining why you choose it
Old 19 January 2006, 05:56 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Some very good points there and I'm pleased that you came along to meet the gang there were quite a few new faces so I spent quite a while circulating to try and say hello to the new faces... yes it's important to put people at their ease it is not easy to stand there without knowing anyone at all.

What you may not have realised is that a few of the gang normally have a meal and some like myself just pop in into the warm for a warm up and a chat with the rest..... it's that time of the year when it is difficult to spend all evening outside when the better weather arrives we will be more able to do that... pull a few tables together have a chat more as a group and still be by the cars as well.

Hopefully next time we have a get together at least now we know each other a little that is why I said to Kev lets have a quick meet before Ross-on-Wye as we seem to have quite a few new people here all at the same time and we thought it would be good to break the ice locally first before going away anywhere.

Hopefully if everyone comes along to the next one it will make it that much easier again and we can all get to know each other as a group that way no one needs to feels new

One thing Gentlemen.... Can we all please watch the speed limits back and fore the meets and just be aware that there are a few unmarked cars watching and waitng.... and waiting they are... just please be carefull but most of all enjoy the meets

Regards
Simon
well said si - in this day and age big brother is always watching

on the venue topic a change is as good as a rest - not too sure about town centre - i think i would personally feel a bit of a t*t being parked up in the middle of town having a meet - especially with the current numbers we are getting.

Also good idea from paul re new people - i remember my first time too - but that's not important right now
Old 19 January 2006, 05:59 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Or have an A4 sheet laminated around your neck explaining why you choose it
Cough Cough...

It used to be Silver

Old 19 January 2006, 06:04 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by pippyrips
well said si - in this day and age big brother is always watching

on the venue topic a change is as good as a rest - not too sure about town centre - i think i would personally feel a bit of a t*t being parked up in the middle of town having a meet - especially with the current numbers we are getting.

Also good idea from paul re new people - i remember my first time too - but that's not important right now
Thanks Rob

I'm not to sure about the town centre but I'm also willing to have a look at it in the summer for a change.... ideally we need to get somewhere just off the motorway that way it is easy for everyone as some of the guys are coming down from the valleys.
I like the Toby the carpark it is ideal for us but if we could find somewhere similar we could swap around a little.
Old 19 January 2006, 08:33 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

I was thinking on the way to Soton tonight that maybe we could alternate between East Central and West? This is because of the good spread we have now from Chepstow to Cardiff and out to Swansea. Would be nice to go further a-field as well. Has anyone any suggestions for one East and one West. Kev's suggestion of meeting Jnt30 and then a tour down the bay sounds good for the Summer.

As for Big Brother I agree. I heard from one of the Calibra Club they are watching us. Have a look in the Essex section for how many unmarked cars followed them home from Southend. One got clocked at 120mph!
Old 20 January 2006, 03:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Thanks Rob

I'm not to sure about the town centre but I'm also willing to have a look at it in the summer for a change.... ideally we need to get somewhere just off the motorway that way it is easy for everyone as some of the guys are coming down from the valleys.
I like the Toby the carpark it is ideal for us but if we could find somewhere similar we could swap around a little.
Are you saying us valley folk are daft
Old 20 January 2006, 05:07 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Are you saying us valley folk are daft
A central point
Old 22 January 2006, 11:04 PM
valley commando
Scooby Senior

Wink change is as good as a rest

not been to many of the midweek meets all(cos i'm usually on happynoons sod)but would love to get a few under my belt and to meet all the new members
user names would be wicked on the rear side windows si

as for a change of venue hows about a meet at Cyfarthfa castle
then a leasurely strowl through the country side to show you lot the superb roads we have to offer then maybe pop back to the pentrabach house(brewer's fair) for a little munch and chin wag,it is bang on the A470 so very easy to find
just a thought and the car's would never felt so safe either

cos they've been warned
richie
Old 23 January 2006, 06:39 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by valley commando
not been to many of the midweek meets all(cos i'm usually on happynoons sod)but would love to get a few under my belt and to meet all the new members

then a leasurely strowl through the country side to show you lot the superb roads we have to offer then maybe pop back to the pentrabach house(brewer's fair) for a little munch and chin wag,it is bang on the A470 so very easy to find

cos they've been warned
richie
We will look at sorting the next one out in the daylight on the weekend for you then Richie and I missed the castle meet the last time and I hear it was a good one
Old 23 January 2006, 08:47 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

yep, the one up at Cyfarthfa castle was pretty good, had a little run up over the montains and lunch in a nice pub, the snow was unwelcome though!!!!!!
Old 23 January 2006, 09:39 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by valley commando

cos they've been warned
richie
good call rich
Old 23 January 2006, 09:48 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Maybe a Saturday opposed to a Sunday ??
Pub lunches on Sundays need a lot of arranging at least on a Saturday we can grab a bar snack a lot easier

What do you think chaps ?
Old 23 January 2006, 10:59 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Six Nations!!!!

Quick Reply: New Meet Location Higher Profile!!!!