Notices

Advice on engine rebuild plse

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2005, 11:11 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on engine rebuild plse

OK, I have just had the 30K service on the STI. Big bill, but even bigger shock as CVC tell me the crank case is weeping oil (or a spray of oil) and the net result is engine out to correct this. Cost around 1.3K

Q1. Can I get some other work done at the same time, ie blueprint the engine, upgrade the internalls for eventual power increases etc

Q2. Who would you entrust this work to, i have seen lots of PS and RCM articles in mags recently

Any advice??

Cheers Paul
Old 23 December 2005, 08:05 AM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Give David a call at APi - 01926 614333

He has just rebuilt mine and alot of the boys in this area use him. Have a chat with him and he will tell you the best way to go.

simb
Old 23 December 2005, 10:33 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Or Powerstation, they do a lot of engine work and also have a really professional setup, (best "garage" I have ever seen!!), ecutek software license, rolling road, superb geometry equipment, etc.

Old 23 December 2005, 10:45 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

I doubt CVC will do anything other than rebuild to standard spec. Also judging by the mileage the car is still under warrenty? if you have any work done which isn't standard spec you can kiss good bye to the warrenty
Old 23 December 2005, 05:36 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, warranty is not an issue as i bought the car in cyprus and Subaru will not recognise the warranty....I will have a word with David at API and Powerstation. Has anyone else had this problem, are oil leaks common on STI's??

Cheers Paul

Ps I will come to the next meet and get to know you all, unfortunately i am working seven straight days as of tomorrow... life in the forces.. has its good points, but then theres working christmas
Old 23 December 2005, 05:36 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, warranty is not an issue as i bought the car in cyprus and Subaru will not recognise the warranty....I will have a word with David at API and Powerstation. Has anyone else had this problem, are oil leaks common on STI's??

Cheers Paul

Ps I will come to the next meet and get to know you all, unfortunately i am working seven straight days as of tomorrow... life in the forces.. has its good points, but then theres working christmas
Old 23 December 2005, 05:37 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2005, 08:04 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

not too sure about whether oil leaks are common - i hope not - i've got a bolob-eye STI and touch wood she is as water tight as a ducks **** (tempting fate i know!) as for popping along do it - blue dragoon is in the forces too so you can share old war stories!
Old 24 December 2005, 05:04 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It was an issue on older import WRX's. Ask Wide!!!
Old 28 December 2005, 12:12 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Question WIDE your comments plse

I have heard by talking to a mate in Scotland that there may have been a recall on oil leaks, does anybody know about this?

WIDE what is your experience of said leaks??

Thanks and happy new year to all, Paul
Old 28 December 2005, 04:55 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

I had a 95MY wrx , with a suspect32k on the clock. Everything seemed fine and the engine was sweet and pulled like a train, much better than my uk 99 turbo it must be said.
After a few weeks of owning small amounts of oil started appearing on the drive and I took it off too cvc to get it looked at, I had already booked it in to have the cental locking looked at .
When I spoke to them the front and rear crank oil seals were gone plus leaks on the power steering, and other issues!
A lot of mechanics or mechanically minded people seem to think its a problem on older jap imports as they have spent a lot of their life sat on a dockside waiting for us brits to snap them up, or sat in car auctions this side of the water. Seems to allow the seals on alll things like engine G/box, air con etc. to deteriate. Then us unsuspecting brits come along give them a bit of welly an everything wants to fall apart like the cars suddenly contracted ebolla and pi**es blood in semi synth form
Hence the reason why I outed my import as fast as I could, bar the fact it had a petrol tank full of rust as well, another "sat on a dockside" bummer Iwould have had to sort out
Old 31 December 2005, 06:52 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Well i bought my car new 2 miles on the clock, so its not been left on a dockside... Although i did live in Cyprus, (V V Hot at times) and it has only done 26K miles in four years... could be under use!!
I will give API a ring in the next week or so

Cheers Paul

Last edited by NoCatSTI; 31 December 2005 at 07:00 PM.