Notices

Heads up - ABP Motorsport, Shavington, Cheshire.

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2004, 10:58 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Heads up - ABP Motorsport, Shavington, Cheshire.

Took my car ('00MY Turbo, just out of warranty) to ABP motorsport for a routine 7500 mile service the other day. Also had grooved tarox front disks fitted and new front pads.

These guys are meticulous. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, and a fair trek from my neck of the woods, but as thorough as it's possible to get, IMHO. Worth thinking about if you're based in north/mid wales and are fed up with the main dealer.

Taking the car back in a couple of weeks to have the "fast road" geometry setup.

(ABP usually have a 2 page ad in the back pages of evo magazine, if anyone's interested)

Kev

Last edited by cefski; 28 February 2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 29 February 2004, 01:17 AM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

not interested mate, all dealers/garages are a total rip off and your better off doing it yourself like i do cos at least then you know your using top quality parts and don't get ripped off for the labour!!

Last edited by Dave uk blue mica; 29 February 2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 29 February 2004, 05:31 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave uk blue mica
not interested mate, all dealers/garages are a total rip off and your better off doing it yourself like i do cos at least then you know your using top quality parts and don't get ripped off for the labour!!
Fair enough. Don't really care if you're interested or not Dave, as this post was not meant to be an advertisment, just a genuine "heads up" to inform others that quality (better, even!!) service is available outside the main dealer network.

I have done stuff myself in the past, but i'd rather pay someone else to do it now as I don't really have the time.

To this end, ABP do an admirable job. I'll be using them again when the need arises.

Cheers

Kev
Old 29 February 2004, 06:38 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

cefski, used abp a while ago to fit a k&n on my old fiat bravo hgt. Did a cracking job on it, and even let me take lots of pictures while they fitted it, for my old website
made me feel really welcome at the time, and would go back no problem for stuff, pity they still havent sorted a website of their own yet!
chris
Old 13 March 2004, 03:45 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Just got back from ABP having had the geometry set up.

The car has been transformed; from front-heavy scrubby understeerer to an agile, surefooted beast of a thing. It's hard to believe how much better the car feels. I did a proper test on the evo triangle (as I was passing) and the speeds that I was able to carry confidently through the bends scared the **** out of oncoming traffic and gave me many a giggle. The leg up to The Sportsman's was a joy, so much so, that i did the loop again. Twice

Yep. I'm a happy man. Best £111 I've ever spent, I think.

Cheers

Kev
Old 13 March 2004, 06:55 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

HI guy im down in south wales with a my00 sport i just had my geomerty/bumpsteer mod done at powerstaion and WOW is all i can say the drive back was just unbeliveable i pushed the car more than i ever would have thought of doing before and had to pull over 3 times to let the other three impreza,s catch up <maybe i was pushing it to far ??? lol> anyways i just thought id add that lol
and to say i think that there was no need for such a negative post from dave why bother replying???? or if you HAD to post why not just say
"cheers for the mate glad your happy with them but i do all my own servicing"
Old 14 March 2004, 12:26 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Cheers Newp Went for another spin tonight round my local "de-stresser". Yet again, I was amazed at how much better the car felt. Found myself pushing harder into corners where I'd otherwise be backing off. Totally different car.

Finding that the car reacts immediately to the tiniest of steering inputs took getting used to, though.

Re Dave - he's as entitled to his point of view as you or I are, and top respect to him for speaking his mind. I know others who do their own servicing and do it perfectly competently, as I'm sure Dave does. Call me an **** retentive, or whatever, but I take comfort in the knowledge that the car's services are carried out by professionals who then give me the paperwork to prove it. No doubt that this also helps the resale value, too, which is a bonus

Cheers

Kev
Old 15 March 2004, 01:09 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Hello again Kev.

I used ABP for the geo setup on my last Scooby (MY93 WRX) – Top job from the lads there, but I’d only had the car a week or so and just changed the rock hard Jap suspension for some standard stuff, so haven’t really got anything to go off for a before-after comparison.

Now I know you have similar car to mine and I know the road your talking about , so some questions:
On fast sweeping bends I find mine gets to a point where it seems to lean and wobble from the rear - just that bit too much and this can be very un-nerving!! Did you used to get this? And if so, has the fast road set up sorted this?

Definitely looking at getting this done in the next few weeks anyway, but would be grateful for your comments on it relating to the MY00.
Also, which setup did you go for – I believe they may be more than one available?

Cheers, Carl.
Old 15 March 2004, 10:13 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Hello Carl. How's things?

Firstly, I can't say that I remember any lean and wobble from the back (ooh-errr missus!!).

Secondly, I went for the standard fast road setup, at £111. They do offer another slightly different setup which is just short of £150 which I think is aimed at track work, but I could be wrong. One thing I have noticed is that the steering feels lighter at over about 80mph post set up. Makes things 'interesting' until you get used to it. Does that make sense?

Kev
Old 16 March 2004, 03:02 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Cheers Kev,

I’ll definitely be getting the fast road geo done soon.
I have been told that solid rear droplinks in place of the standard ‘rubbery type things’ can help with the ‘wobble’ that I’m on about, so might get that done first - its only a cheap mod anyway - then the geo. I’ll speak to Abp and see if they do it.

Thanks, Carl.