Meeting vs Driving

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2003, 02:35 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Right, then. Cards on the table time.

I'm sorry to say that I truly can't be arsed with this forum. There seems to be way too much weight placed on the "old buddy, old pal, let's meet for a natter with the old boys club" type stuff for my liking. I didn't buy an impreza for that. I bought it to drive it, to throw the ****** around the best corners Snowdonia has to offer as quickly and as safely as possible. I bought it knowing that it was a true 5 star car, capable of much more than I could even think of throwing at it.

I wanted to explore, to test, to extract the most out of it (and myself) as was humanly possible. I've done and continue to do this. I thought that I could find similarly minded people here on Scoobynet.

So far, it looks like I was mistaken.

To me, a 'meet' means more than just meeting, comparing mods, stats, paintwork, taking photos, or whatever. That's Max Power/Revs territory. I'm too old, maybe even too wise for that. A meet should involve driving, but I don't mean the cruise to or from a pre-arranged meeting venue. I've never done that. I never will.

A meet should include REAL driving; seat of the pants stuff that has you buzzing for days afterwards, itching for more. This is what the Impreza (in ALL it's guises) is about. This is what we should be doing more of.

So, how about it? Why don't we shove our spec sheets and rolling road print outs up our ar$es and drive on real roads for a change?

Any takers?

Kev

[Edited by cefski - 8/22/2003 3:11:06 AM]
Old 22 August 2003, 11:25 AM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Hi Kev,

I do agree with you there about the driving bit, the first meet we had up here back in March which i organised was a cracker as far as i was concerned, and everyone else thought so i think we used a combination of fast A roads to very narrow B roads. We started at Parc menai and then went to Bethesda- Betws-y-coed- Llanrwst up the backroads, around the evo triangle across ysbyty Ifan to Llan Ffestiniog over to the Bala road, up to Maentwrog turned right at the Oakley arms to Lanfrothen, then up to Croesor (very narrow roads) and then some very narrow lanes into the back of Nant Gwynant then through Beddgelert up to Caeathro. The weather was absoluetly awfull Pissing down with rain all day, but that made it more exciting i think.

Perhaps we could do a similar run in a couple of weeks like your planning when all the visitors have gone home and the roads are a little quieter, thats half the troulble with our good roads aroung here there full of visitors in the summer.

Stay with us Kev i'm sure we can get the driving going now the Autumn will be here soon.

Are you going down to the GB rally in november?

James
Old 22 August 2003, 11:41 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Last North Wales nutters meet was 90% driving 10% quick drink.
Old 22 August 2003, 01:12 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Yes James, THE MARCH RUN

i remember it well, the weather was fantastic!! lots of sidways stuff ( alledgedly i was 'Broadside' comin round one corner, well thats what Rob said )

The last 'gated' section was best, the lad sitting next to me said 'Those rock outcrops are getting a bit close' (twitching nervously in his seat) my reply was 'Shut The F*ck Up im tring to keep my eye on the road, i dont want to know!!'

Great Day!!

Not forgetting BlackKnight getting stuffed by a CORSA on the moors section (oops! sorry BK i said i would'nt mention that)

Sorry i missed you guys at C.Oaks

BTW i do feel that sometimes its ok to just meet up (to plan the next run if nothing else) anyways the best welsh roads are too busy at this time of year with holiday makers AND BIKERS

Steve
Old 22 August 2003, 01:25 PM
richie_wales
Scooby Regular

well kef 'old buddy' you should have come to our last betws y coed run a couple of weeks ago cos that was far from sedate
we try to meet up and do different things so that we can include everyone to some degree. i am sure if you organized a meet we would only be to glad to rag our cars for three hours around some twisties.
richie
Old 22 August 2003, 02:31 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Hehe!! Just voicing an opinion, guys

Point taken that the roads around here have been busy of late. Maybe that's part of the problem, but even before the silly season started, I've had fcukall response to several posts about planned drives on good, local roads - TURBORAY has been the only one who responded and actually turned up

This being the case, is it any wonder that i began thinking that my idea of a 'meet' was different to everybody else's? that I was the only one?

If my original post has pi$$ed people off, fine. The whole point was to shake the tree a little and see if any like minded people fell out. Looks like it worked.

I'm planning a drive to take in the evo triangle in the next two to three weeks. details to follow....

Kev
Old 22 August 2003, 02:44 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Wink

No worries m8

its a little frustrating for me, coz i would love to attend ALL the meets/runs. The reason, my car is provided by the company (of which im a partner BTW ) and is on contract hire, therefor i only have limited miles per year i have less than 4k to last me til Jauary (even more )

i will prob make IM car hire an offer come November and see if they will sell me the car. THEN? YIPEE + PPP + Fire storm BB + Big Spoiler etc etc....

Steve
Old 22 August 2003, 05:07 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Not pissed off at all Kev.

James.
Old 22 August 2003, 10:16 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

cefski you have the same thoughts as the south manchester & Cheshire scoobys, we "meet" every wednesday night and go for a blast no sitting in car parks chatting. We feel the same about driving the cars. I personally did not buy a scooby because it is a good looking car because its not! But it is a total drivers car I bought it to drive it not to look at it.
Anyway that a side we are comming to the EVO triangle in september because there are some superb driving roads check out the thread here hopefully you can make it and show us your best roads.

Cheers Andy S
Old 22 August 2003, 11:34 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Hi cefski, I ditto everything andy_s says.
I came on here tonight to get a feel for the Welsh contingent of scoobynet, and boy am I pleased they are as like minded as us sth mcr lot.
I went to a meet at Wiggen tree the other month, and I can honestly say it was boring, M6 drive up to the meet, stand around drinking coke and taking a leak, then M6 drive home after, dull as dishwater, and never again.
Hope you can make our little excursion in September, and show US some of the roads you obviously know so well,
chris.
Old 23 August 2003, 12:17 AM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Wink

OK….I had to reply to this one !!!

Kev, I’ve been to a few of the North Wales meets and not come across anyone recently who wants to ***** foot around with their driving. Regarding the forum; people are just havin a laugh on their pc’s when they get home (or run out of optimax !!)

For me too, buying my (second) Scooby was all about the driving. Remembering the March run in silly weather, I see that the ‘hardcore 4’ that were left running at the end of the day have all (now) replied to this thread !! That’s the kind of people that are on here.

But, at the moment,its not a good time for a weekend blast. Firstly there’s holiday traffic everywhere and secondly Mr Bumstrums tax collectors are all over the place and have just started using unmarked cars too. The last couple of meets have been to Rallying events (which seems to be a common interest – so there is more to see than everyone else’s cars) followed by a dam good blast on the way home, which has been a good compromise.

Soon, the time will come for some fun – the tourists will have gone home and it will be too wet for the bikers – so the roads will be ours !!!!

Seriously though and ever the paranoid, I believe we should not post on here detailed info on where we are going or ‘decent road’ recommendations – use the email.

All the best, Carl.
Old 23 August 2003, 02:46 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

This is just the type of response I was hoping for. Couldn't have wished for better. Honestly.

Like I said a few posts up, the whole purpose of my original post was to "shake the tree a little and see if any like minded people fell out". And here you are. Job done.

Over the past few months, several posts about planned drives in the snowdonia/triangle area have gone un-noticed, and this was BEFORE the tourist season started. Nobody seemed to be up for it. I really did feel isolated and began to think that late-night-supermarket-car-park-type-meets/cruises was more the norm for Scoobynetters. I don't think that anybody could blame me for that.

So, the tree has been well and truly shaken and I'm suddenly and acutely aware of the fact that I'm not alone in my passion for ***** to the wall driving.

Re. the September meet - I'd planned a snowdonia and triangle excursion for a saturday, two or three weeks from now. I'd had an interesting route mapped out. Can't see any reason not to postpone it for a week or two, to tie in with the northern English *******' meet . I'd have to join you on the Saturday, though, as my duties as parish priest take priority on a sunday (like **** they do !!).

Look forward to meeting you all.

Kev
Old 30 August 2003, 05:15 PM
phatso
Scooby Regular

First message on this board so ello to all ..

Interested in this run your having up in snowdonia, just got myself a scooby some months back and thought id treat it to a nice sprint to the lovely countryside. Must warn you that its only a Sport (*cough* GL) and definitly not up to a Turbo Performance, but still doesnt mean I cant give it a bloody good pushing .. anyway interested here so post some details when you get the chance and hopefully we can make it (we being the gf too, another petrol head).

cheers, Lee
(pembrokeshire land)

[Edited by phatso - 8/30/2003 5:50:33 PM]
Old 30 August 2003, 05:51 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Lee - I'm planning a little outing for next Saturday. there's another thread in te wales section for it.

kev
Old 30 August 2003, 08:56 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dont worry Phatso as each short run is broken up with small stops to let everyone catch up (ask blackknight) seriously tho there is no accounting for someone falling behind (little ol granny on route and only limited overtaking chances) you get my drift?

anyways see you all tomoz at Ellesmer Port (Sunday)

Steve
Old 30 August 2003, 10:07 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Ive only recently joined up with the North Wales Nutters, and must say what a cracking bunch of people they are...

as for meets, well they are top dollar ..and take into account everyone .

a blast round Snowdonia, meet ups and drive to's ..such as The promenade stages, and Ty Croes, Harlech .. and even the long drive to a pub, and have a natter .. and now, a meet up, chinese feed and a blast afterwards maybe..

Not everyone is single, and some of us have kids .....its nice that everyone and their circumstances are thought about ..

Roll on the next meet .... ummmm, Chinese..!!

[Edited by redwrx - 8/30/2003 10:09:51 PM]
Old 30 August 2003, 10:53 PM
phatso
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info peps, hopefully if I dont get too much grief from this client next thur/fri I should be able to make it.

As for the falling behind, bar the grannys and the "toilets on wheels" (caravans) Im hoping the scooby will keep up, as mentioned its just a standard but slowly modding it as cash allows.

Anyone down the west side of Wales do track days? Looking into getting the car on Pembrey sometime just to see what i get out of it, would be nice to get some info from anyone who's tried the circuit, as in costs, regulations, etc

cheers, Lee

Old 31 August 2003, 08:57 PM
John WRX
Scooby Regular

Well said Frank Sir

Ive got my smillies back Ive got my smillies back Ive got my smillies back Ive got my smillies back la la la lalal. LMAO
Old 31 August 2003, 09:06 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

hey john !!

i take it the e mail you recieved was worth while then . lmao.
Old 31 August 2003, 09:07 PM
John WRX
Scooby Regular

oh yes lol