Wroughton moved to Kemble on Sat why?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2001, 05:06 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi there,

I just got an email from Easytrack saying that due to some trouble last week they've moved the airfield day I was on at Wroughton this Saturday to Kemble as it is 'safer'.

Anyone know what this is about?

Paul Olson - you'd said you might come down for a look - we'll be at Kemble now, if you still fancy coming you'll find us with the red Scooby wagon.

Simon.
Old 23 August 2001, 11:03 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon

Might pop by for a look. What is the timetable for the day ?

Cheers

Mark
Old 24 August 2001, 09:23 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi there,

It's start around 9 ish driving to 4pm.

Apparently Wroughton was cancelled due to gypsies, and Easytrack having to cancel an event there.

Gizmo - pop by and say hello if you're there, red Scooby wagon.

Simon.
Old 24 August 2001, 11:06 AM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Foot and Mouth was sighted as the reason when this happened to me.

A note of caution though (although each to his own) I was very disappointed with both Easytrack and another company (forget which) who both set out very tight coned circuits at both Wroughton and Kemble. The circuits comprised coned chicanes at the entry to each corner to slow you down, cones on corner exits stopping any attempted powersliding, straights only good for 3rd gear, 1st gear hairpins etc etc. Gone it seems are the days when the entire runway and perimeter roads are used at Wroughton (as per the infamous Summer 1999 Group B car club hosted event).

I accept that airfield days are cheap compared to most trackday events and you pay for what you get, but if you go (as I did) thinking you'll be able to practice driving at the limit you'll be very disappointed and if you make a mistake there are plenty of cones to punish your bodywork.

Bedford Autodrome is probably one of the top Airfields. I certainly will not do either Wroughton or Kemble again. Fine if you drive a go-cart.

Steve
Old 24 August 2001, 11:10 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Indeed it's no race track... and I'm aware of that. I've had a couple of relaxed fun days out with Easytrack, and am basically working up confidence on airfields before having a go at, say, Donington where coming off is more serious than knocking a cone over. Must admit, I fancy Bedford as a next stage for this, but it'll have to be next year now.

I did Abingdon with Easytrack last year, enjoyed that but they don't seem to be using it any more.

Simon.
Old 24 August 2001, 04:09 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Steve, you are right about Wroughton and Kemble previously, but have you seen the plans for Kemble ? Easytrack have taken a stake in the place and are developing it as a Bedford lookalike. They have guaranteed no cones for their forthcoming trackdays. Give it a chance I suggest - read the info on Easytrack's website too.
Old 24 August 2001, 05:08 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Trigger.........if their map is anything to go by it looks like they are still going to use the same Mickey Mouse track layout. Second and third gear straights again and a lost opportunity in my view. A far cry from Bedford Autodrome.

I don't want to poke fun at their website but frankly anyone who says that Kemble has "safe run off areas" and a "safe feel" can't be expected to be taken seriously. The current track layout phase I which I have driven (shown on their web site) is dangerous in this configuration because of the real risk of head on collisions in the centre section, and most of the outsides of the longer corners have solid obstacles to hit if you leave the tarmac (fire hydrons, buildings, barriers and other nasties). The only thing that makes it safe or appear safe is the incredible grip the surface affords.

I would be delighted if they would care to disagree, if I am doing them an injustice.

Steve
Old 24 August 2001, 05:57 PM
TonyR
Scooby Newbie

Steve Procter - do not know how you could have driven the Phase I track as half of it is still grass, tarmac being laid mid next week. Of the lomng corners one is a field and the other has a fence about 400 metres away - if that is not safe don't know what is. Like Triggar said, give it a chance.
Old 24 August 2001, 07:07 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

TonyR......If you are from Easytrack perhaps you would say so. As sure as eggs is eggs I have driven the exact profile of that track, but if the track is wrongly depicted on the website to save confusion perhaps this needs updating. I wouldn't have made the comments if it looked like a totally different track.

It doesn't get away from the fact that a head on collision type accident is waiting to happen in the configuration shown (closing speeds could be 100 mph plus), unless the installation of barriers or something in between is planned overnight.

I don't know how some of the trackday organisers get away with it frankly. We all sign an indemnity, what do they care.

Steve.
Old 24 August 2001, 07:23 PM
TonyR
Scooby Newbie

from easytrack - no, help out easytrack - yes. I can 100% guarantee you have not driven the track shown, part of it maybe but not the whole lot as like I said part of it is still a field.
Old 24 August 2001, 07:26 PM
TonyR
Scooby Newbie

oh and no the track is not wrongly depicted (although an ordnance surveyr map it ain't)
Old 26 August 2001, 10:32 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi there,

Went along on Saturday, had a fun time playing with the car and chatting to some of the other people there.

Thanks to those of you who came over to say Hi, good to see you all.

I'm sure my passenger will be posting some pics of me spinning while he was recording a lap from the passenger seat - I got a little enthusiastic when following a Westfield Megabusa, but no harm done.

Maybe see some of you at Wroughton on Sept 29th?

Simon.
Old 30 August 2001, 03:12 PM
Nick V
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Steve, I think that you are a bit harsh towards Easytrack, and you need to give'em a chance. I disagree with you about powersliding though, 'cos if I can do this in my rwd Cossy, I'm sure you can in your car with no problem. The only thing that you won't be able to do, is top end speed - but that can wait for a track day

Simon, the airfield day is a good idea to see how your car will handle as well as your own limits before you do a track day. I did this first off and now have done a number of circuit days at Goodwood - with Easytrack

Cheers, Nick
Old 30 August 2001, 03:15 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

I have no connection with Easytrack other than satisfied customer. They're an easygoing bunch, I like their relaxed airfield days.

At it again on 29th Sept!

Simon.
Old 30 August 2001, 06:10 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Nick.......like I said in my original post each to their own.

But........the point is that airfield trackdays are promoted as being safe and the inference is that there are wide open spaces and nothing to hit. Fine. In the case of Wrougton and Kemble what is not said is that half the fun is taken away by seriously restricting the width and size of the circuit with cones to keep speed down to achieve some of this safety. I posted my comments originally so that others might not be similarly disappointed if they were expecting a wide expansive airfield to blast around (as it used to be at Wroughton).

Steve
Old 30 August 2001, 08:02 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Can I point out that Bookatrack managed to lay out an interesting (if rather short) course at Bentwaters last weekend. A great opportunity to practise sliding and trailbraking, and some interesting cars on track. Some flat out in third gear corners, and reaching around 105mph on the back straight. Also a good opportunity to waste a set of tyres