Notices

Track Driving a Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2003, 09:32 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got tips on the handling characteristics of a scoob. I'm from a caterham background, and am driving the scoob for the 1st time next weekend.

I suppose I want to know more about how to get the best out of it, whats the best technique for cornering etc

cheers
sean
Old 30 April 2003, 10:07 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

been on a few trackdays myself this year.

I think that for for getting the most out of a scooby (mines a uk my00) then you have to be totally committed and keep the power on through the bends to get through smoothly. I lift off slightly before a bend to get the back end a bit lose sometimes, just to have a bit of fun, but i think you need to have been driving scoobies for a while to have the confidence to slide the back out!! lol

They generally under steer a bit, so i raise my tyre pressures up to about 37psi to make sure that the tyre walls don't move to much and therefore don't over heat the tyres after only a few laps.

I don't know much about breaking in a scooby with normal brakes as mine has uprated 335mm stoppers and this is all i have track experiance with, which also allows me to be "last of the late brakers!!"

Make sure you have the correct gear before the bend and use engine braking, as this will keep the car on the boil so you don't have to wait for the turbo to catch up when your exiting the bend.

Just remember, scoobies are fast in a straight line, but they are awesome through the bends, especially in the right hands.

hope this is some help

sly
Old 23 July 2003, 03:35 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sly,

Surely scooby's are just as good round left handers as they are right handers. What you mean is your better at right handers, most likely because your used to them from roundabouts etc............
My car feels pretty balanced both ways

Old 23 July 2003, 03:37 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Talking

Btw havent done a track day in my car yet, but planning one later this year. It is encouraging that you dont seem to damage your car and wear through a whole set of tyres or pads in 1 day. Im really looking forward to it.
Old 26 July 2003, 09:26 AM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have done a lot of track days now in mine (cadwell, croft, knockhill, anglesey) and so far "touch wood" no damage. You just need to be aware of all the other drivers around you and out on track, as this will help avoid accidents.

From my experiances, most people tend to move over out of the way of subaru's very quickly when you come up behind them.

On trackdays i now run on a second set of slick tyres i own and i use godspeed 335mm discs on the front (fantastic brakes). Which all helps with the safety factor.

Road tyres are ok as long as you are only doing a few laps at a time on them, as they very quickly over heat and lose grip. Slick tyres are A LOT quicker than road tyres and they last longer on the track. So if you can afford a set of old rims and slicks (costs about £400 for the lot), i would do it!

sly

Old 27 July 2003, 09:00 AM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Sly,

Can you tell us what scooby you run? Year and mileage?
Thanks
Old 27 July 2003, 09:09 AM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Dont raise you tyre temp to 37 cold!

When you drive the car, especially on a hot day you may well be running 47psi!!

ID - take care out there

Trending Topics

Old 27 July 2003, 10:30 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

That is why you check/reset your pressures after every session.........